BB1500 Prep, Starting Santa Clarita, CA (North LA County)

I did a SS1000 on April 13, 2007 on a 1989 BMW K75C. 1134 miles. The loop was from Santa Clarita, CA out through the Antelope Valley, up the 395 through the Eastern Sierras, to Reno NV south and east to Death Valley, back through the Antelope Valley and south to Santa Clarita. I have attached a couple of photos from that run. Loved that bike, solid, low center gravity. Wish I still had it

Planning on doing a BB1500 on Yamaha FJR 1300. Looking for loop suggestions - or even a cool straight line is fine.. One good thing about that SS1000 was that much of it was in the desert and no one was around. One of the downsides was that some of it was pretty boring.

Maybe up the 395 to Boise, Idaho and back...that is roughly 1650 miles and looks do-able. Probably a better midsummer ride to avoid having to carry a bunch of cold weather gear.

Do any of you have a favorite multi waypoint planner?

Attachments

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
One of the more user friendly multi waypoint planning tools is Google Maps. Standard method only allows 10 waypoints, but there are work arounds to that. It's a fast way to get ideas and compare routes. I believe the IBA verification teams use it as one of their tools as well.

Might not be to your taste, but this is one option for a BB1500 planned on Google Maps as an example.
https://goo.gl/maps/EjnWQpGmDZiyyTy46

One of the more user friendly multi waypoint planning tools is Google Maps. Standard method only allows 10 waypoints, but there are work arounds to that. It's a fast way to get ideas and compare routes. I believe the IBA verification teams use it as one of their tools as well.

Might not be to your taste, but this is one option for a BB1500 planned on Google Maps as an example.
https://goo.gl/maps/EjnWQpGmDZiyyTy46
Interesting route! I would have to time it to get through the Bay Area during a low traffic period

paj

Premier Member
I'm in the Bay Area. I recently finished a SS 1000 (2011 DL650A). I was just looking at a BB from here. Personally, being new at this, I'm looking at staying on interstate highways, which helps maximize riding time so I have more time to rest.
From Santa Clarita, Albuquerque is 785 miles on I-40, and back? Or Tremonton, UT on I-15 and back?
For me I'm looking at: Salt Lake City on I-80 or Flagstaff on I-5/40.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@paj - I lived just outside St George, UT for a many years. You might consider Cedar City, UT instead of Flagstaff or SLC as your turn around point.
LINK I like 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow, in daylight. Flagstaff is high elevation,(weather can be more variable), and expensive for hotels. SLC means crossing the salt flats and it gets very windy from West Wendover to SLC. Both are certainly do-able rides, but more truck traffic on 40. 15 is a better road with better lanes on the hills for trucks. Getting from Redwood City to 80 means crossing a bridge and trying to avoid Oakland. An early start South will get you to Los Banos and fast traffic more easily. In the end, pick a route that appeals to you and go for it.

Shame

Premier Member
I did a SS1000 on April 13, 2007 on a 1989 BMW K75C. 1134 miles. The loop was from Santa Clarita, CA out through the Antelope Valley, up the 395 through the Eastern Sierras, to Reno NV south and east to Death Valley, back through the Antelope Valley and south to Santa Clarita. I have attached a couple of photos from that run. Loved that bike, solid, low center gravity. Wish I still had it

Planning on doing a BB1500 on Yamaha FJR 1300. Looking for loop suggestions - or even a cool straight line is fine.. One good thing about that SS1000 was that much of it was in the desert and no one was around. One of the downsides was that some of it was pretty boring.

Maybe up the 395 to Boise, Idaho and back...that is roughly 1650 miles and looks do-able. Probably a better midsummer ride to avoid having to carry a bunch of cold weather gear.

Do any of you have a favorite multi waypoint planner?
_____

Google Maps 100%

If you're going in the summer I'd keep it simple and cool. Head North toward Portland, OR and turnaround at 750 miles (Roseburg OR). If you're not going for a BBG, then you can get a hotel at your turnaround. You could also take the 395 up and I-5 down. The 395 sure is an awesome road to ride in summer. Then just pound it out down the 5 back home...also a scenic ride till you get past Redding and it's a bit flat, but it's also like the autobahn on that stretch back to Sacramento which is fun.

-Shaymus

1649131581348.png

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Keith is right about the epic shakes. Burgers are ok too, but the shakes really stand out. Especially on a hot day. :)