BB2500K Syd-Adl-Mel Foxton1

Foxton1

Premier Member
NOTE: Includes a nested SS1600K. Sydney -> Adelaide -> Melbourne

Prelude
I caught interest in wanting to attempt an Iron Butt Association certified ride in January 2022, from googling Cannonball Runs within Australia – hoping to find an Aussie version of USA’s Alex Roy. In typical internet fashion, I had stumbled across references to Davo Jones’ 5-day cross-country ride and an association with an appropriate name. The menu of certified rides, and Big Old List left me wondering why I had not heard of this before now. None of the people I’d ridden with, had ever mentioned this exclusive society. Before I knew it, I was planning Saddle Sore & Bun Burner attempts. 2 immediate priorities were: which bike and which route.

My 2017 Suzuki Vstrom 650 sure was comfortable, economical and reliable, but I had given Suzuki sufficient opportunity to include Cruise Control as standard in recent years. I accepted the fact it would not come to the 650 version, and researched a bike with the features I wanted for long distance riding, that could also do the odd city work commute or weekend squirt in inclement weather. In March 2022, a decision was made to buy a single-owner 2019 BMW R1250RS that was cheap enough and had proven itself touring Australia, having over 54k on its odometer already. I’ve never had a motorcycle with cruise control, electronic suspension or a TFT display before – let alone ridden a boxer engine. Priority 1 complete.

Route choice ended-up being an easy decision, as my wife was taking a week off to spend with her friend in Melbourne. So I put my other option of Sydney – Cairns aside. She would drive the van with our two dogs to an AirBNB in Melbourne, allowing the bike to be loaded in Melbourne for my return home – and in case she needed to rescue me if I did not make it to Melbourne! I knew I could nest a SS1600K attempt within this ride, so locked-in a Sydney -> Adelaide -> Melbourne route. Priority 2 complete.

Having returned from a trip to Cameron Corner one month prior to attempting this BB2500K ride, I used this first-hand knowledge in my planning between Sydney and Broken Hill. Safety was front of mind in the remainder of my planning: sleep, quantity of fuel/rest stops, light nutritious food, and avoiding critters. OMG… the 100’s of goats that just wander randomly on the highway between Cobar & Broken Hill is astounding. So I planned for a lower average speed & ability to emergency-brake between those towns. I planned a similar approach for riding after dark - I would travel slower than the maximum speed limit, to ensure I could emergency-brake for roos & other critters. Time in the saddle would take priority over maximising speed. There was no avoiding riding at night, only risk management.

The final part of my advance preparation was Rider Comfort. Having often ridden in near-freezing conditions, I knew being uncomfortable can lower my attention. Additional comfort aids included: a 12v heated jacket, air cushion seat topper, handguards, highway pegs, tall windscreen, bright spotlights. I appreciated Stamina and Fitness were just as important. It helped that my doc & dietician already had me losing some weight and hitting the home gym since February.

In the month leading-up to this ride the BMW got a service, and new Road 6 tyres. I also tested my Garmin Tracker & iPhone App with Spotwalla, and started asking for receipts when refuelling – taking photos with my odometer, so I got in the habit of ensuring the important bits were in focus. Before I knew it, the day of the attempt was upon me.

Go Time
The following times are all in the local time zone of each town. With daylight saving not in effect, I only had two time zones to consider involving a 30 minute difference.

3am shower, coffee, get dressed, wake the street with my Akrapovic exhaust, get to the local 7-11 – nothing too exciting here. I aimed to get my first receipt at 415am, and was running a bit ahead of time due to being both excited and anxious.

IMG_2894.JPG

351am first receipt, do the photo thing, take more than one photo, check the focus of the pics, get moving. Super quiet, almost no-one else on the roads. No point taking the M7 when the roads are empty and M4 was close. I headed toward Katoomba, where I hit a bit of light rain and drizzle. No drama, I had my heated jacket on low and was in my trusty waterproof gear.

701am filled at Orange where the drizzle had stopped. Making good time, no issues and wasn’t too hungry yet – so decided to stop a little longer at Nyngan if I was still ahead of time. Just a few sips from my hydration backpack and I was riding again.

1033am filled at Nyngan where I was about 15 mins ahead of plan, even with starting off earlier. Muesli bars, coffee, stretches and a call to the wife were had. Everything was feeling good, but I knew the ‘highway goats’ were coming-up – so I only spent an extra 5 mins than on the plan, rather than the full 15 mins.

1207pm filled at Cobar. Although it is only 133km, I prefer to fill-up at each main town in remote areas – particularly with the RS’s 19 litre tank. I carry a spare jerry can, but I must say, I’m quite envious of the 30 litre tanks on GSA’s and 1290 Super Adventure R’s. Naturally, this triggered an interesting set of ideas to address my tank limitation (more on that in the next ride report). The countryside changed from tree-covered rural properties to sparse scrub.

235pm was Wilcannia, and highway goats galore, along with increasing wind and wind gusts. I had to slow to about 40kmh on at least a dozen occasions where the goats didn’t want to move off the highway despite sounding my Soundbomb horn and strobing my D4 spots. These were part of a dual Canbus plug-in system I watched a guy on YouTube install for GS’s. Turns-out, the same solution works on RS’s and is appropriate for goat management! Some goats moved faster than others, with all moving-on based on my horn and high beams.

358pm at Broken Hill meant I was way ahead of schedule, despite the goats. With daylight still quite bright, I preferred to forge on, rather than have a 30 minute dinner stop. I was feeling I would be less anxious if I passed the majority of the desert whilst there was still daylight. So after my only banana, protein bar, coffee and another call to my wife – I was off again, feeling good, no aches yet, and the bike felt solid.

With 196km to Yunta from Broken Hill, let’s just say I made the most of the daylight before I knew I would slow to below the speed limit. I had to take the obligatory photo at the SA Border sign, but not a long stop: pose, snap, go. As it happened, the average speed evened-out due to needing to wait at a standstill for about 10 mins whilst a long dirt section of the highway was worked-on by the sizable road crew. Thankfully, I was first in line and not behind the vehicle that stopped behind me… a road train. Even if a road train was stopped first, I would have kindly asked the driver if I could go first. Most are top blokes and wouldn’t hold-up faster vehicles in remote areas.

IMG_2908.JPG

The twilight and sunset were spectacular. Being born a city kid, this never ceases to amaze me, and never fails to energize me when I’m riding with such a picturesque landscape. Whilst beautiful, it’s just as dangerous. Time to focus, reduce speed, and hit those spot lights. Cover the brake in case of critters.

628pm filled at Yunta, SA. Comfort break, more muesli bars, but no coffee – so settled on a cheeky red bull. I stretched for an extra 5 mins hoping to follow the lights of a road train, but no chance – the road train pulled-up and stopped before the servo, with no other vehicle heading my way. I find hanging-back letting another vehicle’s taillights show me the way, to be much safer when I am not familiar with the road. Starting to get a little sore in the legs, so take a couple Panadol to ensure my attention isn’t distracted as much.

The scenery is pitch black beyond my spot lights, but I can tell the desert has given way to trees and perhaps forest areas. Whilst riding 10-20kmh below the limit, I am conscious that looking for critters takes energy. I wonder how long time-wise until I see street lights or civilisation again. Then it appears… the Oodla Wirra quarantine station.

A gentleman steps out, I say hello and immediately state I have no fruit or other food except muesli bars & a freeze-dried packet meal. With a stern voice perhaps thinking I’m a drug runner, he says “it’s a bit late to be riding, isn’t it?”. I reply “oh don’t worry about me, I’m doing this crazy thing were I’m attempting to ride 1600km in less than 24 hrs. I’ve come from Sydney and stopping at Adelaide”. He smiles and wishes me well. I guess he must have heard that before?

943pm Port Wakefield United servo is lit-up like a space station, and most welcome. This leg was one of the longer distances, where I thought I may have to use a jerry can if the terrain was hilly after Yunta. I need not have worried, as I only needed 13.5 litres for the 262km. I had used 15.8 litres getting to Wilcannia over 259km – which I put down to wind gusts and slowing-down/speeding-up for goats. I’m also feeling a bit tired following my constant scanning for critters in the dark. This was a stop I had not originally planned 2 months ago, until reading multiple recommendations to allow an extra 5-10% beyond whatever certified distance was targeted. Diverting to Port Wakefield instead of heading straight to Adelaide from Yunta, gave me that buffer.

IMG_2913.JPG

No time to waste, I’m close now. The highway had moderate traffic, which made a nice change of pace – diverting my attention from my right knee that often aches after 12 hours. I used the highway pegs often during the day, but tend not to at night. Just a few air wiggles of my right foot and a massage whilst on cruise control, was just the thing I needed before my next stop. It was at this point, I knew I was going to achieve the Saddle Sore. :cool:

1053pm filled at Pooraka, job done, felt a sense of achievement: 1662km was indeed possible. I’d never done that sort of distance before. I’ve ridden in country areas west of Sydney for 12-14 hours at a time, but would never have cracked 1000km doing those rides. Even when riding multiple days at a time to Tasmania and back, I would not have been in the saddle for more than 8-10 hours a day.

SS1600K done
Why Pooraka?

It has a motel close to the highway, technically in Adelaide. No point choosing a motel on the west or south of Adelaide if I intended to ride north east after a sleep. I had spoken with the Motel who ensured an access card was left under the mat before I arrived, which happened to be 1108pm. After a 3 hour sleep, shower, coffee, a spare freeze-dried meal I didn’t use on my outback trip the month prior, I hit the road again at 403am.

Deja-vu hit me… no vehicles, no daylight, in the saddle with a goal to achieve. For some odd reason, the 900km or so didn’t register as being a long distance after the previous 24 hrs. Adelaide & SA roads are much better quality than NSW. The only downside is SA’s overuse of Average Speed Cameras, taking a lot of potential fun away when the conditions would have allowed. It crossed my mind how much my Aprilia Tuono would have loved these roads.

Sweeping roads and tight corners were the highlight of exiting Adelaide: in darkness, 3 degrees, a toasty warm jacket & heated grips on high. As the twilight hit and daylight broke, I was well on the highway heading into the sun. Again, the landscape was spectacular, and instantly pumped-up my energy as the warm rays woke the land I passed.

641am filled at Renmark – such a busy little town for an early Sunday morning! There was a queue for coffee, so I didn’t bother. A quick photo with a painted silo, then off again. Saw some unique lake systems to my right. Apparently it was the Pike Lagoon, which had pinks, greens and blues that caught my eye as steam rose from its water. No time to stop though, another time – as I already stopped for a silo photo. Riding further I passed the VIC Border sign, with a couple of Kangaroo warning signs that caught my eye… someone spray-painted a cowboy riding the roo – which made me laugh at the creativity & effort involved. Again, I thought of snapping a pic, but had vehicles behind me and felt it wasn’t worth a potential rear-ender.

IMG_2919.JPG

The landscape changed to majestic, sweeping fields of green crops. At the turnoff from the A20 onto Werrimull North Rd, I couldn’t resist taking some photos this time. I was starting to ache a bit more at this point, with my right knee in particular – but the beautiful scenery kept my mind distracted from the worst of the aches. Unfortunately I spotted a tragic fate that fell upon a mother and child roo. Both had become road kill some time before I passed them, but it saddened me when I wondered if the mother got hit first, or its child, or both at once. Out came the highway pegs so I could massage my legs while riding.

IMG_2922a.jpg

10am was Ouyen where I calculated I was tracking right on time. Thankfully I was in the habit of checking for a timestamp and address with each fuel receipt. This was the first occasion where no address was printed on the paper from a servo. I went back to the counter and sheepishly asked if they could write their address and sign the back of the receipt. The young person serving wasn’t a regular attendant, and wasn’t comfortable doing so. One quick call later to their boss, and I was provided a business card stating the address – great outcome! Seeing how pleased I was, a couple of ladies asked why I was so happy, and I mentioned I’m on target to travel 2500km in less than 36 hours. You should have seen the look of shock & horror I received. The look definitely included an expression that I should be committed, and was an immediate danger to society. I had found a new pleasure in shocking people.

Being well-and-truly out of remote areas, I emptied my jerry can on the way to my next stop. No point carrying the extra weight up high in my top box, and I needed a quick stretch before my originally-planned stop at Charlton. A lot more traffic on the roads now, but most vehicles were maintaining the speed limit. Some of the caravans were a bit slower, which makes it great being on a bike with ample passing capability. I had accounted for traffic, so I wasn’t concerned at this point.

204pm filled at Kyneton. In hindsight, I should have planned a servo that wasn’t in a township with traffic. This took a bit longer than I expected, so I jumped on the highway again asap. At this point I was hoping to make my final fill close to where my wife’s AirBNB was in Forest Hill, Melbourne. But there was a risk of unknown Sunday traffic, and I had neglected to plan for the exact servo location. So I kept to the plan of doing a quick splash of fuel before I hit the centre of Melbourne. I belived there was a good chance of making a servo in Forest Hill before the 36 hours were up.

250pm filled at Keilor North servo immediately off the freeway. I felt rude just putting-in the $2 minimum, so I justified $5 by convincing myself if I didn’t make it to another fuel stop in time, less fuel in the tank would be better when the bike is being transported in the van. As it turned-out, this was my final fill-up. 2560km were certified, having covered this distance in 35 hours. No celebration yet though…

BB2500K done
Knowing I had a chance to get deeper into Melbourne for one final receipt, I continued to push amongst some light showers on the freeway. Soon I hit traffic on the M2, then signs to a zoo… I must be close. The navigator then takes me on the M3, and I think “oh no, there won’t be many servos here, I hope my exit is soon”. I take the Springvale exit and think I’m in with a good chance of a servo close to the AirBNB. I preferred not to stop on Springvale Road, with lots of traffic to navigate, filtering in narrow lanes wasn’t an option on unfamiliar, busy roads. I arrive near the Shopping Centre and see a servo… it’s 345pm, and only minutes left. I make the mistake of turning-off too soon for the servo, taking me into some residential back streets. It’s when I’m about 100m from the correct servo entrance, that I see 350pm on the dash, and call it a day. Time’s up! An additional certified 45km would have been nice, but I’m satisfied – time to see my loved ones, have a good feed, and start planning my next rides. :)

IMG_7545a.JPEG IMG_2945.JPG

Last edited:

Fatman

What a great read Sam, funny how you mention 900km doesn't seem to be far when you are in long distance mode, I know exactly what you mean.

Congratulations on completing both the SS1600km and the BB2500km, that certificate will look great.

tj189

Premier Member
What a ripper of a ride report Sam!! Could not stop reading it, some great input there regarding issues that arose and your outcomes.
Congratulations on your certification for these rides.
Looking forward to reading your next one:)

Biggles

Premier Member
That's a very big ride, well planned and well ridden. Great time management. I was interested to note a young bloke like you having a painful right knee- gets me too, every long ride. Pity you never heard of MCC Cruise Controls. They're Melbourne based. I'm on my fourth. I have theirs on my Honda ST1300 and Suzuki 650 V-Strom. But you still did well, getting the TFT display which is very helpful getting sharp docket/ODO photos.