BBG through Canada doable?

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Working on a route, originating from a secret, undisclosed, location to Buffalo, NY, through Canada, onto Detroit, and then back. Assuming I am granted entry to Eh, Canada, is this doable? All I'm really needing to know is the Canadian section of the ride.

As far as my BBGs go, I average about 1,640 miles and 23 hours. This route is 1,563 miles, which I can par down a bit more if needed. TIA

Route

PS: Why is it that every link is opening an email app? I had to copy the Google Maps link to TinyURL before the link would work. Even when I removed the "mailto:" section, it still kept opening Outlook.

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher

Jesse

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My concern would be delays at the multiple major cities and the border crossings. I may be missing something (it's happened before) but I do not believe this is doable as a BBG
(EDIT: assuming speeds are not excessive, of course. High speeds between delays may do the trick. Maybe).

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did a Great Lakes Gold last year and came very close to running a BBG from Buffalo to Minneapolis without even pushing or trying with lots of time wasting at gas stops, food, etc, so yes it's doable, even with the lower speeds in Canada.

Can't say if your route will work, as with all rides like this, it all looks good on paper until it isn't.

Me, I'd avoid major cities and time boarder crossings for off hours, but that's obvious.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I've done a lot of rides so I know how to avoid the "big city" traffic; my real concern was whether or not the section from Buffalo to Detroit via Canada was going to be a bottleneck.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My only concern would be the border crossings. Like I said it's all timing and how the border agent feels when you answer their questions. I've crossed both many times at many times during the day and never spent more than a few minutes getting through.

There are webpages and apps that will tell you crossing wait times you can check as you get closer but may not be helpful unless you have a backup alt route.

I wouldn't worry about the part within Canada unless you're hitting it at rush hours.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Be aware that the border crossings are computerized and the border guards will know where and what time you crossed.
I was told "You made good time" after I told him I rode nonstop with my extra fuel cell, I was told "No, you made REALLY good time"
This was after he asked where I crossed into Canada… They know.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Why would a USA customs officer care how fast you traveled through Canada? They have no authority over that, so it was a meaningless comment in my opinion just to screw with you.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Why would a USA customs officer care how fast you traveled through Canada? They have no authority over that, so it was a meaningless comment in my opinion just to screw with you.
He was actually quite a nice guy. He was just commenting and then broke into a conversation about Madawaska.

Having traveled through Detroit/Windsor vs Port Huron/Sarnia, I would recommend Port Huron/Sarnia. Crossing times are important, you can spend 20 minutes waiting to get to the gate if you arrive at a busy time.

-Mark

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Having traveled through Detroit/Windsor vs Port Huron/Sarnia, I would recommend Port Huron/Sarnia. Crossing times are important, you can spend 20 minutes waiting to get to the gate if you arrive at a busy time.

-Mark
Thanks for the info; what times/days, do you recommend?

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Be aware that the border crossings are computerized and the border guards will know where and what time you crossed.
I was told "You made good time" after I told him I rode nonstop with my extra fuel cell, I was told "No, you made REALLY good time"
This was after he asked where I crossed into Canada… They know.
From what I know, I understand that our friends up north really love them some speed cameras. Probably won't be going over the limit unless I am properly equipped with electronic defenses. I might even just turn-around shortly after getting in just to limit my exposure to such traps.

You might want to consider crossing at the Lewiston Border crossing just north of buffalo depending on the time of day.
I was actually planning on heading to Buffalo on the out-leg and in the Detroit area returning, but now I am thinking of doing an SS1K so that I can some time actually doing something while I'm there. Regardless of entry point, I'll definitely do it as early as possible.