Becoming a Rallymaster

Martlet

Premier Member
There is a great SaddleSore near me that was my first Iron Butt ride. It's a beautiful run that I still do often. The ride had a rallymaster that would submit your documentation to IBA for certification, then send you a beautiful framed ride certificate. That rallymaster is no longer active and doesn't respond to any contact. I'd love to take over that ride, print and issue the certificates, and essentially perform the duties he did to assist people in becoming familiar with long distance riding.

Is that possible? How would I go about it? I've reached out to IBA but haven't heard back and I'm not even sure who I would talk to. I don't need help putting it together, I think I just need someone to say it's OK to do this. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding starting, or restarting, a rally.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Are you looking to put on an endurance rally in the scavenger hunt style with a SS1K route embedded? Or just put on a SS1K event with helpful maps/info and a basic format for riders to follow?

The latter is much easier than the former, logistic wise. Insurance is an issue to protect yourself from liability. And I would not qualify an organized SS1K ride as a rally. An event, to be sure.

Have you PM'd Ira on this forum?

Martlet

Premier Member
Are you looking to put on an endurance rally in the scavenger hunt style with a SS1K route embedded? Or just put on a SS1K event with helpful maps/info and a basic format for riders to follow?

The latter is much easier than the former, logistic wise. Insurance is an issue to protect yourself from liability. And I would not qualify an organized SS1K ride as a rally. An event, to be sure.

Have you PM'd Ira on this forum?
No. I'll PM Ira.

I'm only using the term "Rallymaster" as that was what the original person who "organized" the ride called himself. Essentially, the run was open from May to October. You called him up and arranged a date to ride. He would send you the maps and tracking forms. If you wanted to get credit for an IBA SS1000 then you'd send him the fee along with the required documents. He would start you off, then you would send him the required proof upon completion. He would send you his finisher's certificate, which was really nice. He would also submit your packet to IBA for certification.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Typically an easy way to have required documentation for what you're talking about, that will be accepted by the IBA, is to have a pre-approved route with specific photo documentation spots along the route. I know others that have done that. Along with start/finish receipts or witness in your case, this makes for a fairly foolproof and hard to fake route. It also eliminates your need to have an odo check route to determine individual rider's correction factors.

If you post the former Rallymaster's info, someone here may know how to contact them, if you're desiring to maintain that continuity and use their certificates in addition to the ones the IBA will send riders.

Martlet

Premier Member
Thanks! That's what the plan is. I have the designated route, but I'll have to update the documents to match the current IBA requirements. Ira said there really is no longer a reason for me to submit directly to IBA as the process is faster and easier than back when the rallymaster submitted in their stead. I think it would just make sense to have a format that that IBA uses so things will be easier for the rider.