Best routing "around" Chicago?

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Coming from Rockford IL and going to the New Buffalo Welcome Center just on the other side of the MI state line on I-94.

What's the most effective route to skirt Chicago?

Google is showing 90 E out of Rockford, catching 290 S at Schaumburg, to 294 S, and then 294/94 E the rest of the way to MI.

Is this decent, or is there a better way? I'm okay with more miles if it will keep me out of heavy traffic.

Yes, I know that there has been flooding in the upper mid-west so I will be checking for river flooding, roads washed out, etc before I make the ride.

WY88

Premier Member
I ride from Seattle to Valparaiso Indiana every few years, I get to Peru Illinois and head south to El Paso, catch 24 across Illinois and into Indiana.(farm country) Then take 41 north and pick up 2 around Demotte. 80/94 from Joliet Illinois to exit 20 - 30 in Indiana sucks worse than anything in the world. Heading that way Wednesday. Good luck, be safe.

Brian,

Time of day and construction can make a big difference. I have done the drive from Rockford to New Buffalo without a major slow down. My sister last spring got snagged by the I80 construction.

-Mark

Brian Bumpas

Premier Member
some folks use I88 as an alternate however it's a construction zone from Il 251 Rochelle to Il47 Sugargrove one lane, don't even consider it. The route you mentioned is fine as long as it's at night. or at least not rush hour which never seems to end.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Thanks Mark and Brian. It will be a daytime ride, and I probably won't be leaving Aerostich until about 10 am, which puts me in the Chicago area around 4-6 pm. If that's the way it works out I might just take WY's suggestion and route south and then east and then back up north. Lots of extra miles though. Or maybe I just stop early, have a leisurely dinner, and then proceed after 6 pm. I don't have a set schedule nor will I be riding "on the clock" for this.

Perhaps 90 from Rockford to 290, then all the way down on 355 before cutting east on 80/94/294?

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
There is always the Lake Express ferry.
Yes, the ferry has been suggested, but I failed to mention that I'm coloring in some missing states and by taking the ferry it pulls me away from IL and IA which I need. Looks like I'm doomed to traverse the bottom route and hope for the best.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes, the ferry has been suggested, but I failed to mention that I'm coloring in some missing states and by taking the ferry it pulls me away from IL and IA which I need. Looks like I'm doomed to traverse the bottom route and hope for the best.
I that case the route I used the last time to bypass Chicago was I-70 to I-74 in Indy to I-39 in Normal. I used that on the way to and from the 2017 IBR and a few other times. I live outside of Philly PA so I-70 is convenient for me

Last edited:
Been through Chicagoland more than a few times on IBA and regular rides. Always try to ride through between 3am and 5am if possible, same with Detroit and Toronto.

I went through about a week ago; mid-week at 0800. Obviously not the best time; but could not be helped. Took approximately an hour with a couple of accidents clogging things up. Once on the turnpike it was full speed. Sometimes we can outsmart ourselves with re-routing. :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I went through about a week ago; mid-week at 0800. Obviously not the best time; but could not be helped. Took approximately an hour with a couple of accidents clogging things up. Once on the turnpike it was full speed. Sometimes we can outsmart ourselves with re-routing. :)
Did you use/monitor anything like Google Maps and/or Waze during times like these?

You're right, there's times we can outsmart ourselves with rerouting. On my tour in April, more than once Waze had it figured out well before I could have even begun to think about taking the parallel highway, rather than deal with the accident miles in fron out or location.

Of course, you do also get to watch other drivers, making many of those same "do I or don't i??" decisions in front of you! :rolleyes:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Did you use/monitor anything like Google Maps and/or Waze during times like these?

You're right, there's times we can outsmart ourselves with rerouting. On my tour in April, more than once Waze had it figured out well before I could have even begun to think about taking the parallel highway, rather than deal with the accident miles in fron out or location.

Of course, you do also get to watch other drivers, making many of those same "do I or don't i??" decisions in front of you! :rolleyes:
Yes - I was using real-time traffic alerts and routing with the same message - there is a delay ....... ahead; you are still on the fastest route which was also the case going through Atlanta and New York. The biggest benefit was at least providing me a reasonably accurate time expectation of the delay and how far ahead which is why I have switched to using my phone for point-to-point navigation while letting Garmin keep track of either the whole trip or at least the daily leg. That way I can see what time I should be done for the day and time/distance to next waypoint.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>which is why I have switched to using my phone for point-to-point navigation while letting Garmin keep track of either the whole trip or at least the daily leg. That way I can see what time I should be done for the day and time/distance to next waypoint.
There's just something to be said about the improvements in technology... :D

Another tid-bit to stash away in the bank of smart.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I like to take I-88 to I-355 then take I-355 down to I-80. Helps keep me away from the Big City.

BTW, A nice place to stop is at the Sunrise Restaurant ( Chesterton, Indiana ) just south of I-94 Exit 26A .

N 41.616648 W 87.034906