BMR?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
What is the big money rally and when is it? I was on the site and I see pictures that riders have submitted but didn't see a sign up or info on it.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
The BMR is a many month long rally that started New Years day and ends May 28th. Still plenty of time to sign up and participate.

To sign up clock on Rider Stuff and the signup

You collect points by taking a picture of your bike, the "location/sign/words, etc" and your placard.

The scoring teams checks that all requirements are meet and then they approve the submission.

The all volunteer team scouts year round for interesting places for you to ride, themes and locations.

Go to the http://bigmoneyrally.com/ site and check it out.

@Michael Moore do you have anything to add?

The Big Money Rally is a lot of fun. No matter where you are in the country you can find hundreds of bonuses close to home. You can go as hard or as light as you want depending on your personal schedule.

It is the first rally I signed up for and discovered. I enjoy the bonuses, the people and the fellowship with the other riders. It has made me realize I like riding longer distances, overnight rides and I am now signing up for the shorter duration rallies because BMR showed me how much fun rallies can be.

Also, you are scored pretty damn quick! If you mess up a bonus, go back and get it again and correct your mistake. God knows I fat finger the bonus code more times than I will ever admit to, but you just slap yourself in the head and resubmit.

There is a number of cool features Reno John has built into the site, first of which is the ability to send in your bonus using your phone; it even has an app. Starting last year BMR introduced time stamps to the photos using the app, so a bonus may only be good for a day or an hour in some cases. The code is added to the photo using the app. In addition, you can always see exactly how you stand compared to other riders, and what bonuses are the most popular and the ever present poaching of bonuses others have found in your area that you did not discover yet.

You can not beat the price either $69 dollars for almost a half year of serious fun!! There is always a banquet at the end (a small additional cost), where one can meet and mingle with the other riders and swap stories of your BMR adventures.

I highly recommend it as it is a good time and a pace that is flexible with a busy schedule.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
+1 ... it's been a great time. I rode more in January here in the northeast than I ever have thanks to BMR!! Its a great event!!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rodney,
It's worth it to jump in now ... there is still still time to be a finisher! It's good route planning and bonus hunting planning practice - plus, its a great excuse to give the [family/SWMBO/work] that you simply have to ride!! I'll end as a simple finisher, with my next quest for bronze or silver coming as my work schedule allows. The flexibility of this rally is perfect for simple daylong jaunts to overnight extended runs. Its a great family of serious riders who don't take themselves seriously.

I'd say get in on it!

Bellen

Premier Member
Rodney, I only have about 11 points so far this year. 144 needed to be a finisher. I won't begin to ramp up the bonus hunting until the beginning of May. Plenty of time left for you to jump in :)

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Rodney, I only have about 11 points so far this year. 144 needed to be a finisher. I won't begin to ramp up the bonus hunting until the beginning of May. Plenty of time left for you to jump in :)
I'm doing a rally in less than two weeks, after I'm done I'll see what my schedule is like. Can I see where the bonus locations are, or do I have to sign up first?

RFlagg42

IBR Finisher
For those who have not participated in the Big Money Rally, it CAN be great "off-season" preparation for single day or multi-day rallies. There are thousands of bonuses available all over the country, and it is scored near real-time. I did not have time to run an organized "on the clock" rally in the 10 months leading up to the '13 IBR, and the BMR made a big difference in my preparation.

The recreational rider may go for a shorter ride and only grab a few bonuses while they are out. What I have done in the past is prepare several 800 to 1,000 miles routes from home, and even a few 2 or 3 day routes. When the weather gets nice enough to ride and I also have the time, I load one of the routes in my GPS and run the route as if I am on a timed rally. I focus on efficiency and the procedures I will use in an actual rally.

Plus, the BMR just motivates you to get on the bike during the winter months. There was a timed bonus that was open for an hour yesterday in South Dakota and THREE people showed up in freezing temps. That is motivating....

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The "Finisher" status is set at 144 points -- you need to find and submit enough bonus pictures that meet the criteria that total up to 144. Its very easy, especially since the Themes are so diverse that you can reach Finisher status no matter where you are in the country. The scorers are fast, and the expectations are that the submissions can be easily matched and verified -- and submissions can be done through a smartphone app that sends it time/day stamped so you know you're good to go.

This year, there are 3 riders over 1,000 points. I really enjoy it, this is my 2nd year. Its a great time.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I participated in the BMR several times and had fun. I stopped simply because I was stretched a little too thin and need to cut something out.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's a danger, isn't it? So many things we want to do, we can't do them all. It's hard to pick and choose sometimes!
I decided to devote all my effort to Tour of Honor. I am hoping to improve my ranking since I slipped 2 places last year

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've got something "special" planned in the near future. :)

June is tough for me since I run parking at an airshow in Reading PA during the first weekend and my HOG chapter has a fund raising ride scheduled for the second weekend.