BMW R1250RT (or any bike) riders seat upgrade

Firstpeke

When I bought my RT in March it came with a Sargent seat, after having a new element fitted, it is even heated..... however....

It is good up to the first 12 hours or so, but gets progressively more uncomfortable thereafter.

I bought a barely used BMW riders seat with a view to getting it reupholstered, but thought I should give it a try on a ride over a few days.

This was possibly a mistake, it was okay for a couple of hours, if that and was the instrument of torture I had been told it would be thereafter.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a seat upholsterer in the UK who can make a standard seat better than a Sargent seat?

I mean if it were easier and maybe not quite so expensive, I would have a Russel Day Long... I rode on one of those on a friends ST1100 in the States and they do exactly what they claim, you really can ride all day long without discomfort......

I have tried putting a sheepskin over the Sargent (and the OEM seat) and it makes a little difference, but not enough.

Any suggestions folks?

Ian M

i had a Sargent seat on a z1000sx was not that impressed but its easy to sell on
when i had a zzr lots of zzr riders went to Tony Archer, if you google there are loads of other recommendations from other riders of other machines
personally - just now i use a cool cover for both the tiger and the ninja and, having used it on rblr, i did not have any issues, though i have noted in the last few days with it being really hot (31) some issues returned but i think that is just the exceptional weather at the moment

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Absolutely !
It is an essential item for most IBA long distance riders.
Once tried you will never go back.

Firstpeke

Interesting and not unexpected replies.... I know the RDL is the one to have but the cost of getting it is a pain in itself.....

That said, I will probably email them to get some idea of overall cost and timescale....

I do know of Tony Archer and have sat on a seat he did for a Deauville, did not like it....

As always the problem is many seats feel good for a short while, but quickly become an instrument of torture for the IBA duration rides...
Many seats are okay for a couple of hours so most riders never experience the pain of the dreaded "monkey butt".....

I was hoping somebody would say, have you tied xxxxxxx and a miracle would occur..... maybe not...

I messaged Laam seats twice without reply..... disappointed.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Last time I bought a RDL I bought a second hand seat from eBay.com and got the buyer to post it directly to Russells - saves a lot on parcel post to the States.

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
I purchased a RDL for my 2015 BMW R1200 RT, it was expensive but worth it. One thing to be aware of, is that I found it raised my seat height by about 25mm so I would recommend getting a low seat as the downer base. If that works out to low you an always raise the seat .which will make you sit back into it. Rather than trying to get it lower that makes you slide forward. As the adjustment is at the front of the seat.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
+1 RDL

I have wasted thousands on other solutions over the years and if you intend to ride all day there is no other answer, many have searched and failed use their experience and as Rushkin says:

"
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

― John Ruskin

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yeah, but you forget that I'm notoriously shallow. First and foremost it has to look good.
Well, that certainly explains things! :D Some find the RDL Sport version more acceptable to their visual needs.

@Firstpeke - Being in Canada right now complicates your hunt. If you're over 105 Kgs/230 lbs, no other custom seat will work as well as the RDL with the heavyweight suspension. BTDT, wasted money on foam only seats, went back to the RDL.

If you're under that weight, there are some other custom seat makers you can investigate. It's still a pay your loonie, take your chances deal though. And having your seat return shipped to the US side of the border will save you some serious coin if you can cross and pick it up. Considering lead times, it might be worth the gamble. I'm leaving out Laam and RDL since they have already been mentioned.

Terry's Custom Seats in Manchester, TN (relatively close, but still the wrong side of the border)

KonTour Seats in Tucson, AZ

GoWing seats in Colorado (Might be worth exploring if you have had custom seats before and have a good idea what you need/want and can explain that.)

The only custom moto seat makers I could find in Canada seemed to specialize in appearance seats, rather than comfort seats. Ultima isn't really custom, and doesn't have offerings for BMW. Have you talked to your local auto upholstery shops? Sometimes you get lucky and find one interested or that has experience doing moto seats.

Firstpeke

@EricV.... Canada?

I wasn't aware Scotland had gained that much independence.......

I'm in Ayrshire... in Scotland.... and I am so intent on solving this issue I may even book a day visit to RDL and hire an RT to ride there from the airport.... of course that would make the saddle a tad more expensive with the flights, hotels and all... but my butt says it would still be worth it....

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@EricV.... Canada?

I wasn't aware Scotland had gained that much independence.......

I'm in Ayrshire... in Scotland.... and I am so intent on solving this issue I may even book a day visit to RDL and hire an RT to ride there from the airport.... of course that would make the saddle a tad more expensive with the flights, hotels and all... but my butt says it would still be worth it....
You might want to alter your profile then. Ayr is in Ontario, Canada. I realize this is the UK area of the forum, but the topic is universal. Spelling it out would make it clear what your location is. And ride in appointments are not all that they are cracked up to be. They do a very, very good job of mail in orders. Both of mine were mail in and no alterations were required. Ride in appointments are great for people that know exactly what they want and have had custom seats before. (and maybe that describes you?) Otherwise you're not really going to get much feedback on short rides before they do the final cover. I know a few riders that did ride in's, then realized that what they had changed after short rides wasn't an improvement after a break in and a cert ride or two, then had to send them back for re-work.

Edit - Perhaps worth a conversation with this fellow - https://elsemade.com/ Booked out until Sept, but everyone else is that or more too.

Firstpeke

Ayr has been in Scotland since before Canada was discovered…. Someone from here went there and thought it a good idea to have another one… like many towns and cities in the col..in other countries.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ayr has been in Scotland since before Canada was discovered…. Someone from here went there and thought it a good idea to have another one… like many towns and cities in the col..in other countries.
You're missing the point. You can refer to it however pleases you, but you yourself specified above Ayrshire, not Aye. There's a difference when people are trying to identify where you are to give you better responses. I looked at your profile and it said Ayr, which if you click on that, is a link to Ayr, Ontario, Canada. If you correctly put Ayrshire, everyone will know you're in Scotland.

Borrowed from Wiki - Ayrshire is a historic county and registration county in south-west Scotland, located on the shores of the Firth of Clyde.