Border to Border from Hell

Bam

Premier Member
Hi folks. Looking for advice.

I noticed there is a Border to Border from Hell. The ride details on the IBA ride site simply state: "Edmunston, NB - Matamoros, MX - Surrey, BC" and that you have to complete it in less than 6 days.

My question is: do you have to be hit each location in any particular order?

Specifically, I was thinking of doing this as part of a SCMA Four Corners and a 10/10ths. For purposes of this ride I would be going Edmunston, NB (which is across the river from Madawaska, ME), then Surrey, BC (across the border from Blaine, WA), then Matamoros, MX on my way from San Diego to Key West. The shortest route following the sequence on the IBA ride page is about 5,000 miles. The route sequence I am proposing would be 5700 miles.

Would my proposed sequence qualify for the Border to Border from Hell?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The distance isn't the issue.

Clearly, the ride forms a "V" shape, from the Canada side of the northeast corner of the US to Mexico and then to the northwest corner. I don't see any reason why it could not be ridden in reverse order. But the order you propose would not really look much like the ride as intended. Also note that the table of B2B rides on the rules page describes the listed locations as "Endpoints (Midpoint). So the intent is for the Mexico location to be the midpoint, not an endpoint.

I would say your propsed order would not qualify as a Border to Border From Hell ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Bam

Premier Member
The distance isn't the issue.

Clearly, the ride forms a "V" shape, from the Canada side of the northeast corner of the US to Mexico and then to the northwest corner. I don't see any reason why it could not be ridden in reverse order. But the order you propose would not really look much like the ride as intended. Also note that the table of B2B rides on the rules page describes the listed locations as "Endpoints (Midpoint). So the intent is for the Mexico location to be the midpoint, not an endpoint.

I would say your propsed order would not qualify as a Border to Border From Hell ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Excellent insight! I really appreciate the clarification. Thanks Ira!