Border to Border Ride - DBR suggestions in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico

Ani

Hi...I am planning a Border to Border (Mexico to Canada) ride over the labor day weekend and have a few questions for those who have tread this path before me.

1. DBR on Mexico side - I plan to cross over at Nuevo Laredo in Mexico (will take the I-35 on the US side to enter). I know that per the IBA rules, taking a picture of my motorcycle on the Mexico side suffices as proof of entry into Mexico. However, I am preparing for a backup...just in case I am unable to stop for the picture for some reason (e.g. Border security shoos me away). Any suggestions on where I can get a DBR on the Mexico side? Keep in mind, I will likely be crossing over at around 4 a.m. when pretty much every establishment will be closed.

2. Currency - Did you carry Mexican Pesos with you? For e.g. I hear there is a toll bridge crossing at the border. Or did you just purchase gas/pay tolls on the Mexico side using credit card or USD?

3. Insurance: Did you purchase additional insurance for entry into Mexico? (IBA page suggests riders, in most cases, will need to purchase that).

Thanks for you inputs.

Best,
Ani,

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I did the B2B we used the bridge receipt for paying the toll coming back into the US.

We started around 4 AM and no other place open.

You are only required to purchase Mexican insurance if you go past the border zone (about 12-16 miles)... There will be a checkpoint and you will have to have Mexican insurance and have paid a deposit for bringing your vehicle into the country along with whatever paperwork is required... Rules are relaxed within the border zone and your US insurance will often cover you while you are in the border zone... You need to check with your insurance carrier to be sure though... There is also an option for "driver liability" insurance in Mexico... You buy the insurance for the driver and it applies to however many vehicles that the driver might drive into Mexico over the policy period... This is good if you only have one driver, but might be going into Mexico multiple times during the year, possibly with different vehicles...

Some of the Mexican border crossings have significantly more of a delay than others. The last few times I've crossed, it has been at Del Rio and there was no delay. On the other hand, when I drove by the crossing in Laredo last week, cars were backed up quite a bit...