Brit Butt Rally 17th to 19th Sept 2021

Dave: In your BBL instructions sent to you a week before the rally there was a document entitled "Email Advice". Within that document was instructions on how to use the "Share" method when sending an email. Here are those instructions again.
--------
How to claim a bonus on a smartphone using the “Share” method

1: Take a photo, making sure that all bonus requirements have been met (Rally flag included, etc).

2: View the photo, then press the ‘Share’ button located at the bottom left of the screen.

3: Select and press the application that you want to use, ie. Gmail.

4: Select who you wish to send the email to, during the rally it will be [email protected]

5: Enter in the Subject Line the data that you have been asked to provide, ie 04 22 34512 2012 (Rally number, Bonus number, Odometer reading, Time)

6: Press Send

Your bonus has now been claimed and it will arrive at Rally HQ to be judged.
--------------
By using this method you will not need to attach a photo, nor will you see a thumbnail of the photo you wish to send, you will be viewing the entire photo. It would be worthwhile you investigating and practicing this prior to your next rally
Steve
i will try that method and see what difference it makes

is'nt it just another way to add an attachment? will it stop the e mails just hanging in hyperspace? my thinking is; this is an e mail issue.

i too have had to delete and resend the e mail to make things happen its reassuring that its not just me this is happening to.

e mails have always been a pain sending pictures we had the issue with this at work and just didn't even try to send them that way, but used alternatives.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Steve
i will try that method and see what difference it makes

is'nt it just another way to add an attachment? will it stop the e mails just hanging in hyperspace? my thinking is; this is an e mail issue.

i too have had to delete and resend the e mail to make things happen its reassuring that its not just me this is happening to.

e mails have always been a pain sending pictures we had the issue with this at work and just didn't even try to send them that way, but used alternatives.
Dave: I suggest that you stop worrying about whether they have been sent. In most cases, as long as you have actually pressed send, they will find their way to their destination once they have a signal. I spotted a few times on the BBL that my emails were waiting to be sent, but by the time I had got to the next bonus they had gone. Rest assured, you will not be penalised for issues that are clearly not your fault.

Dave: I suggest that you stop worrying about whether they have been sent. In most cases, as long as you have actually pressed send, they will find their way to their destination once they have a signal. I spotted a few times on the BBL that my emails were waiting to be sent, but by the time I had got to the next bonus they had gone. Rest assured, you will not be penalised for issues that are clearly not your fault.
when i do things i like to make sure i'm doing it right is that worrying then i'm guilty. the last update i got ref e mails on the bbr said something like time e mail received not sent. the statement was quite firm

"Bear in mind that the deadlines are cutoff times for receipt of emails at rally HQ, not cutoff times for the emails to be sent. If they are not received, for whatever reason, by the deadline they won't be accepted.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
An email, together with its attached photograph, has many parameters that can be queried to ascertain whether it was sent within the allotted time. As previously stated, if there is an element of doubt then you will be given the benefit of it.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Electronic bonus claiming is here to stay as it's preferred by the majority.
There are certainly many ways it can be achieved.
After 2 yrs of use and tweaking the system; email apps have found to be as reliable as any other apps so it will be with us for some years yet. Everyone has an email app. That cannot be said about the many other apps.

Maybe one day someone will design us a rally scoring app.

We now use phone cameras rather than digital cameras.
We use a GPS rather than paper maps
We now use laptops and mapping programmes to plan routes instead of maps string and pins
We use CamScanner to put bonuses on our phones to save flicking through rally books.

In each case we figured out how to become more effecient so we could maximise riding time. Each of us found what's best for us.

It will be the same with electronic bonus claiming.

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
I entered the rally many weeks ago. I've still not received details of the rally Hotel so I can book my accommodation. Or am I'm missing the fact that there's no start or finish.
The problem is now if the hotel is booked up do I get a refund on my rally fees. Its not my fault.

wully

still no idea were the rally start and finish is. but that may not be a problem, i have broken my left arm below the elbow.
advised 6 to 8 weeks for recovery rally 5 week.

love a challenge.

wully

well it's 4 weeks since breaking my arm, will I be completing in the BBR next weekend, don't know yet.

What I can confirm is that I will be at the start as a competitor or a supporter. I can't cancel my room with out loosing the money and that ain't going to happen.
So I'm going out for a test ride now, this may be 10 minutes or may be hours. Kill or cure. See you Friday.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For the Brit Butt rally all claims were submitted by email . The format of the email was a heading of
Rider no. Bonus claimed. Mileage Time
All with no punctuation.
23 47 21342 1545
And the required photo attached

As the riders emails came in the data and photo were loaded into our scoring system automatically. If that did not happen because of random punctuations, numbers missing, incorrect mileage, incorrect time and it had to be put in the system manually 10% was deducted from the bonus. Every bonus was judged (on the system) as it came in by the rally team. Every bonus was judged equally and fairly for every competitor

At the finish riders were given a list of bonuses the system had registered and told to send anymore they had still in their phones.

Then they were given a second list detailing their score and reasons a bonus claim failed. If there was a difference of opinions the claim email was looked at ( for the first time) and solution agreed.

The above process started as soon as riders finished so every rider was scored before the rally finished at 6pm.

Overall the majority of headings were correct.
Typical failures were wrong bonus claimed, wrong rider no, no flag, no bike , no face in pic, wrong location in photo.

Exgreen064

Well I finished (24,400) which is all I really wanted to do. As a team with Steve we planned our ride and rode our plan, even when my speedo cable broke after 59 miles. Thankfully the satnav gave speed over the ground and we used Steve's odo for mileage. Thanks for all the help and chat from everyone and we hope to do better on our second attempt.