Brit Butt Rally 25th to 27th May 2018

The Brit Butt Rally has changed, or should I say evolved - surely that was always going to be the result of changing Rallymasters. As with anything in life the parts that change either suit some people or they don’t - cé la vie etc. Let’s all stay friends about it.

Something that intrigued me, but hasn’t been questioned is the increased rest time - why was this done? It feels quite restricting to me given it’s only a 36-hour rally. Also, how did this work with the emailing system?

It surprised me that there was no cross-check of what bonuses and points the rider thought they had achieved and what the Rallymaster had accrued throughout the Rally, I thought that part of the previous scoring was a good idea.

Anyhow, onwards - I promise not to book any family holidays during the 2019 BBR so I can join in again :p

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
I done a few Butt butt Rallies over the years my first was with a huge map on hotel wall marking locations on it and picking out a route. Next year it was mapsouce then Basecamp always moving forward
This year I had Doubts I had upgraded my phone the week before but went back to my old one for the rally (took the new one just in case) plus I had Sally with me with her Phone
Lesson from John accident carry a spare old phone.
I only had one problem sending that was at ribblehead went a few miles and resent with out a problem (I am on O2)
I liked the format got back sent check in photo and that was it shower then bar

Great looking forward to next year

Having read all the comments there is a healthy level of feedback .
I did a couple of the rallies a few years back having initially been drawn by the whole Britain's toughest rally headline. While I understand that things evolve and each rally master had his own ideas in my humble opinion the event should remain constant.
The rally has been happening for quite a few years now so the list of locations/controls must be enormous so how about picking the best say 250 locations and using them year in year out ? All you would have to do is throw in a couple of small caveats each year and the permutations would make it impossible to predict a route even for the most experienced .
The benefits would be that all the locations were proof tested and known to be sensible . Nothing more off putting for a novice rally rider to reach a location on what may well be a £10,000 motorcycle to end up down a weird country lane in the dark its really not fun and I think unnecessary.
lets have solid safe locations and concentrate on the miles and not having to protect your expensive motorcycle from potholes and tree branches or even worse arriving in a dodgy suburban location by yourself ( the rally master checking them is not as good as getting true feedback from competitors)
each location could have a blurb next to it

if the rally is to deserve its headline of been the toughest then have a minimum mileage to get a finish, 36 hour rally so 1000miles is entirely plausible even for a newbie its either the toughest or its not! if that makes them despondent then their hardly retention material anyway.

The whole technology thing is inevitable and as everybody seems to use a motorcycle satnav I think the smartphone thing is fine. they are really not that expensive on the second hand market and have the advantage of being a spare satnav Maybe email or WhatsApp every 5 locations. .

Have a poll of what people consider the best locations and pick the greatest hits ,. Think of locations that are interesting or just plain nice to visit and stick to that platform all it takes is a couple of caveats, a points change a minimum mileage and you have a functioning rally with enjoyable locations

and last but not least if a newbie does 1000 miles in 24 hours give them the award ! it cant do any harm and may encourage them to attempt the next level .

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The benefits would be that all the locations were proof tested and known to be sensible .
"sensible" is an attribute of the rider, not the location. Anyone entering the rally should be more than competent to ride her bike in any and all conditions. She should be aware of her limitations and be smart enough to decide not to ride beyond her limits. Safety is also entirely the responsibility of the rider; the world is a dangerous place and it's up to each of us to stay alive.

As several rallymasters have found out, proof testing the locations is all very well but unless that testing was carried out immediately before the rally there is always a risk that something will have changed in the meantime.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
"sensible" is an attribute of the rider, not the location. Anyone entering the rally should be more than competent to ride her bike in any and all conditions. She should be aware of her limitations and be smart enough to decide not to ride beyond her limits. Safety is also entirely the responsibility of the rider; the world is a dangerous place and it's up to each of us to stay alive.

As several rallymasters have found out, proof testing the locations is all very well but unless that testing was carried out immediately before the rally there is always a risk that something will have changed in the meantime.
66% of the last 3 rally Masters have dropped their bikes checking out bonuses.
It is certainly safer to ride the rally than check bonuses!!!!