Brit Butt Rally 26/28 May 2017

Well. Missed last year. Because my old friend of 13 years (ST1100) decided to fail in areas where it was taking upwards of a month to find spares for, so her time with me came to an end. But I have a replacement a BMW RT. Who knows if I will collect as many memories or good times with this beamer, but it's off to a good start with an adjustable screen and saddle.
So having discovered rooms can still be found for a good rate, that when pay day arrives in a few days, I shall be joining you hairy arsed buggers again this coming May.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
The trick Pete is to make sure your arse is as smooth as a baby's ;) It makes things far more comfortable on long rides :D :rolleyes:

John Broom

I have just this minute booked a room @ Fosse park Premier Inn. Paid £33 plus £1 for using a credit card.
It's my first Brit Butt Rally , so any help and advice will be much appreciated

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have just this minute booked a room @ Fosse park Premier Inn. Paid £33 plus £1 for using a credit card.
It's my first Brit Butt Rally , so any help and advice will be much appreciated
Welcome to the pleasure dome John, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Fire away with any questions as we're all friendly on here and willing to help where we can :)

John Broom

Thanks for the info. Will have a go at he Iceni this year. I have completed a few RBLR 1000, only failing to finish once.
Catastrophic front tyre failure on the A9, south of Inverness

John Broom

With regard to BBR, what mileage do we cover in the 36 hrs? Is there a set amount to aim for, taking account of the bonus points available? Advice and help appreciated

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Anything between 1000 mls and 1600 mls...it's up to you. Usually there's no minimum threshold, but that depends on the rally master.

John Broom

Thanks for that Robert. I am getting the bike serviced before the rally. Apart from waterproofs, what else is considered essential to good planning and finishing the rally

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
My only bit of advice, hard learned, is carry a second, back up satnav, if you can. It's heartbreaking after investing so much time and effort to have your one and only break down during a rally. Paper maps are OK, but not a lot of good when using lat/long coordinates.

I always carry a puncture repair kit and small compressor, too.

John Broom

How do you practice ? My bike has a range of approx 180 miles, which is 2.5 to 3hrs of riding. I have done a few of the 24 hr / 1000 miles. I push where I can, watching the speed limits where necessary. I take a 15 min at the refuels, and get 1 hr break at the half way point (Wick Tesco's).
How else can I practice, work permitting

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Try to get hold of some rally books and co-ordinates and try planning a few routes, consider the Brit Butt Tour. You need to know the pace you can keep up on a variety of roads and in all conditions. Practise your routine at bonus points and try to reduce your time at fuel stops. It's a bit out of date now but to get some idea of the process look up Brian Roberts rally planning seminar here. It can be easily updated to more up to date software and GPS's

I'm more than willing to meet somewhere and talk through a few things if you want.

Last edited:

John Broom

Hi Dave, that would be really nice to meet up and have a chat. Would you like to pick a place, and a date to meet?
I work Mon to Fri, so any weekend is good. It would help with my practice/ route planning to come to you.
Thank you so much.

Re: Owls reply: I have another sat navy on order. What's the best picture repair kit? What's the pros and cons of putting "goop" in your tyres?
Thanks to all for your advice

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Hi Dave, that would be really nice to meet up and have a chat. Would you like to pick a place, and a date to meet?
I work Mon to Fri, so any weekend is good. It would help with my practice/ route planning to come to you.
Thank you so much.
Apart from New Years Eve I can fit in almost any weekend. I also need to get some miles in so if we can find a place where we can talk for a couple of hours and maybe set up a laptop that would be good. I guess PE is a Peterborough post code. I'll pm you with my phone number and we can talk.

John Broom

PE12 is Holbeach. I am 30 miles from the A1 South at Peterborough.
Do you fancy a ride to Cheltenham? We could meet @ Tesco's, GL51 8JQ.
It's about an equal distance for both of us.
What are your thoughts on that?
Happy new year