Brit Butt Rally 26/28 May 2017

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Yep, I use the Bubbler GPS App on my android S4. Unlike a Spot tracker you can type text messages before hitting an 'OK' button. Anyone clicking on the icon on the spotwalla map can then read the text message you sent i.e. "Bloody Rallymaster, sending me down this stupid little track" :D

It also has little icon buttons which you can press i.e for fuel or rest, which then also displays on the Spotwalla map. Another nice feature is a camera icon button. If you press this it automatically activates your phone's camera and then sends this as an attached icon on the map too. So in theory you could post a photo of yourself and/or the bonus location which the rally team could then also view in real time too. :rolleyes:

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Stupid question time - I presume that Bubbler/SWConnect only work if your phone has a signal and you would be using data all the time you are using it?

I imagine that would be a real issue on my iPhone's battery life as well, so that I'd have to have some sort of powered mount?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Stupid question time - I presume that Bubbler/SWConnect only work if your phone has a signal and you would be using data all the time you are using it?

I imagine that would be a real issue on my iPhone's battery life as well, so that I'd have to have some sort of powered mount?
The only stupid questions are the ones you refrain from asking for fear of asking stupid questions.

Your assumptions are basically sound. If no cell signal is available Bubbler queues its updates and sends them when signal is available so your track will eventually be posted but might not be always in real time.
The easiest way to check the data/power demands is to use it to track a short trip, couple of hours maybe. Demands shouldn't be too strenuous.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
When I do LD rides and rallies my phone is in a powered mount so power usage is never an issue. I always carry a 22000 mAh battery pack with me too in case of powered mount failure and to charge my spare headset battery.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Thanks Bob/Mark.

My spot gen 2 went missing from my arm a couple of weekends ago on a ride down to Cornwall.

Once I'd realised, the lat/longs told me it was 40 miles back, so I decided to leave it and buy a gen 3.

Trouble is, I forgot to cancel the old one with the spot site whilst waiting for the gen 3 to arrive, and I received a phone call from Texas at 0300 asking if I was OK.

Seems like the finder decided to press all the buttons.

That'll teach me.

I think I have time now, whilst my existing contract with spot plays out, to have a play with the SWConnect system - use it alongside the spot one and compare them.

Was planning on selling my Spot Gen 3 and RAM mount if anyone is looking for one?

Hope all the BBR Riders have a great weekend - I'll hoping for bright weather and light traffic for you :)

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Was planning on selling my Spot Gen 3 and RAM mount if anyone is looking for one?

Hope all the BBR Riders have a great weekend - I'll hoping for bright weather and light traffic for you :)
I'll have the mounting cup thing off you if you wanted to dispose of that separately.

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I've recently been diagnosed with a tumour in my oesophagus and awaiting surgery so have had to withdraw from the BBR (and the IBR:() but I hope to make it to Leicester to see the rest of you on the way.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've recently been diagnosed with a tumour in my oesophagus and awaiting surgery so have had to withdraw from the BBR (and the IBR:() but I hope to make it to Leicester to see the rest of you on the way.
Devastating news .... all the Best Dave with your treatment and challenges ahead ... Hope to see you down at Leicester

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
So sorry to hear about your diagnosis Dave. I hope the docs sort you out. And I'd got a present for you to take to America too (but you can still have it anyway :)).

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was sorry to hear of your issues Dave. Let us know how youget on.It'll be good to see you.

Last.Last.Last................. email just sent to all riders and team members.
If youdidnt get it or the one last week just email me [email protected]

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
I have created a SpotWalla Location Page for this Brit Butt 17. It is currently rather uninteresting because no-one's "joined" it yet. If you are riding the rally and are not paranoid about having your location tracked in real time by, for example, the rally team languishing in Leicester while you're all out having fun, you might like to join the page by clicking here. You will need a suitable tracker device or app and a SpotWalla account.

There's no view password so this page is entirely public. And since it's public, please ensure you're aware of secure zones and how to control the types of messages that update your location on the page.

Secure zones are regions of the map where locations will not be shown. They allow the user to safeguard their home, place of work, grandma's house or any other region where they want to maintain some privacy. More information on secure zones can be found here:

If your location is known to SpotWalla and is not in a secure zone when you join the page it will appear as a data point right away but otherwise the only clue that you've joined is an increase in the number of Users.
Bob, I've tried joining the page, but nothing seems to be appearing, nor is the number of users going up. Is there anyway you can check?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Bob, I've tried joining the page, but nothing seems to be appearing, nor is the number of users going up. Is there anyway you can check?
Dave, go on a short journey, couple of miles (or 500 if you prefer :D) with your tracker running (so that SpotWalla knows where you are and not in a secure zone) then try joining the page again. Once you've logged in the refreshed page should show your icon. If it still doesn't work, PM me your spotwalla creds and I'll fiddle around for you)