Brit Butt Tour 2020

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hopefully it worked this time
The Dan Day Portsmouth & Dungeness lighthouse
I know that this is all a bit of fun, but if any of you have ambitions of taking part in competitive rallies then you need to improve your photography skills. This is not a photo of the Dungeness lighthouse, it is a photo of part of the lighthouse and risks being rejected. For very large items you need to stand back and get the rally number into the foreground. I have attached Tommy Wendt's photo from 2019 as an example of how you should compose your photo.

IMG_20190525_101815.jpg

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
and when you're retired and can swan around all day.
I will ignore that comment Bob and treat it with the contempt it deserves. The picture was taken on a Saturday ( generally considered to be a non working day) and it nearly killed me climbing up that fecking hill to get close enough to take the picture just to wind you up.
Which worked :D:D:D:D
But then again you can't please everyone.:):)

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I will ignore that comment Bob and treat it with the contempt it deserves. The picture was taken on a Saturday ( generally considered to be a non working day) and it nearly killed me climbing up that fecking hill to get close enough to take the picture just to wind you up.
Which worked :D:D:D:D
But then again you can't please everyone.:):)
It pleased me if that helps?

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I wonder if anyone has the Document file listing the locations? Phil sent me a link but Google is asking for permissions?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know that this is all a bit of fun, but if any of you have ambitions of taking part in competitive rallies then you need to improve your photography skills. This is not a photo of the Dungeness lighthouse, it is a photo of part of the lighthouse and risks being rejected. For very large items you need to stand back and get the rally number into the foreground. I have attached Tommy Wendt's photo from 2019 as an example of how you should compose your photo.

View attachment 4669
Steve

'The purpose of the Brit Butt Tour is to give experienced and less experienced long distance riders a reason to visit places they would not normally get to.'

'....your unique number must be visible in the photograph. There is no other requirement to claim the location as would have been the case in the Brit Butt Rally.'

Yes it is chance to practise your rally skills, but I refer you to the first line of the 'Aim' of the BBT. As for Tommy's photo, on the last Eurotour it would have been unacceptable unless it asked for rider and bike in the photo, I assume its different rules for the BBR.

But thank you for the chance to ride over 180 miles of challenging, greasy, subsiding, crumbling, slurry covered and pothole infested single track roads in Scotland (not all conditions at once). ;) The views were great.:)

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
A few locations visited 02/01/2020 till 05/01/2020. For those intending to go to the Scottish locations in the near future the west coast single track locations were 'interesting' due to the weather and conditions of the roads. The single track to Todd Head Lighthouse (East coast) goes through a cattle farm and was covered in slurry for the last 1.5 miles.

Enjoy.

Snip 1.JPG

Snip 2.JPG

2020-01-02 Route.JPG

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Steve

'The purpose of the Brit Butt Tour is to give experienced and less experienced long distance riders a reason to visit places they would not normally get to.'

'....your unique number must be visible in the photograph. There is no other requirement to claim the location as would have been the case in the Brit Butt Rally.'

Yes it is chance to practise your rally skills, but I refer you to the first line of the 'Aim' of the BBT. As for Tommy's photo, on the last Eurotour it would have been unacceptable unless it asked for rider and bike in the photo, I assume its different rules for the BBR.

But thank you for the chance to ride over 180 miles of challenging, greasy, subsiding, crumbling, slurry covered and pothole infested single track roads in Scotland (not all conditions at once). ;) The views were great.:)

Gordon: I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying the opportunity to ride the 2019 BBR route at this time of the year, and thank you for going to locations that nobody visited during the rally itself.

As I said in my post, I understand that this is a bit of fun, and for sure they will qualify as acceptable in this instance but looking at the photographs from a rallymaster/judge/ adjudicators perspective, many are not. Judges love photographs which give them no choice but to accept. In 2019 I put these two lines into the instructions.

The image should be clearly of the item or landmark shown on the sample photograph.

You should neither be too close nor too far away, so as to render the bonus location difficult to identify.

Yes, I know this is not the rally, but it is an opportunity to point out to newcomers, and old sweats who have a tin eye to this sort of thing, where they are going wrong and help them avoid the pitfalls of taking a bad photo. Rejecting bonus claims is the worst part of being a judge. A rider has beaten himself up for hundreds of miles at some ungodly hour in the morning to take a picture of a park bench but has left his rider number out, sorry Kim, no points. Another rider has walked up a precipitous hill at three in the afternoon in the boiling sun to take a photograph of a sink, sorry Sean, too close. I hated doing it, I’ve even come up with a new rule to mitigate such catastrophes, but all these own goals can be removed by taking a little more care when pointing the camera(phone) at the bonus item. If one person takes note then my input will be worthwhile.

As for Tommy’s photo being unacceptable in the last Eurotour, I cannot comment, but I’ve never ridden a rally where someone has been penalised for providing more than what was asked for. In this particular circumstance, bike, rider, rally number, and the bonus item were all required. By standing back from the very tall lighthouse all of the items are in perfect proportion and constitute a successful photograph, which is what every rider, competitor or participant should be aiming for.

My regards.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Well, I decided to join in the fun. I have a pass for three four day sojourns by giving up my usual 14 day Euro Tour so I broke the 52 locations into three loops.

Northern Loop, Midland Loop and a Southern Loop. I think besides riding the plan a big effort will be required to get images on here! So to try I have an image of the route and matrix for the three sections so let's see if I can get them on here! UK_Three Loops.jpg
Northern_Loop_Matrix.jpg
Midland_Loop_Matrix.jpg
Southern_Loop_Matrix.jpg