Bubbler, SWConnect& Spotwalla

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I had been asked to post some links for GPS tracking apps and Spotwalla.

The Bubbler GPS app is available from the App store. There are two versions. One free and one paid. Paid version is more practical as it stores many more locations if upload is not possible ( no signal) and also enables upload of photos. Details are available HERE

SWconnect is a similar app designed to run on iOS (apple) devices. It can be purchased from the App store on itunes. Details are available HERE

Both Apps are designed to be integrated with SPOTWALLA

Spotwalla is personal location manger website that enables you to keep a "log" of your travels and also share your trip with family,friends and others if you wish to do that. Trips are permanently stored. It is FREE to create an account.
Spotwalla can also be integrated with other location devices such as SPOT.
Spot is a subscription based GPS and satellite link system whereas Bubbler and SWconnect work using GPS and a phone signal .

When you register with Spotwalla, you need to set up your account to link with your locator device ( be it Bubbler/SWconnect or spot) There are comprehensive step by step instruction within the Spotwalla site.

An example of a Spotwalla trip record here

Bubbler and SWconnect can embed photos from your camera into the Spotwalla map at the location the photo was taken.

I used Spotwalla in conjunction with my Delorme inReach as it is a much better interface. I will try SWconnect when I do my next attempt on the Compass Gold

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've used both Bubbler and SW Connect over the last few years. IMHO, Bubbler has a better interface.

Using both has kept my wife happy as she can follow me on Spotwalla while I'm doing a cert ride.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Both have custom buttons for gas stops, bonus locations, hotels, performance awards, etc., but I find that they are missing a simple rest stop message. Sometimes you just stop for a rest or bio break and it would be handy to add a shortcut for that type of stop instead of having to type up a custom message. One time I stopped for a short nap only to be woken up by my panicked wife thinking I crashed.

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Pay atention to the fact, that the spot messenger does not update the spotwalla directly. Spotwalla has to pull new informations from your personal spot Web site. Because this is an extra job for here IT system they do this only on active devives.
To made shure that your device is active from the beginning of a trip send some hours before the starting time an OK message.
The exavt timing and pulling sequence can be found in the spotwalla forum (forums.spotwalla.com ->spot tracking devive -> Sticky note - sorry, insert from clipboard does not work on my phone)

Same with the Delorme inReach, you have to add the API link on the Delorme site, sadly I recently sold my inReach SE but will be getting an Explorer soon

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Pay atention to the fact, that the spot messenger does not update the spotwalla directly. Spotwalla has to pull new informations from your personal spot Web site
That's a good point. Spotwalla has to "look" at your Spot shared page to pull the info onto spotwalla. Its an extra step to set up . So when setting Spot up, you need to create a spot shared page hyper link within your spot account and then paste insert that link into your spotwalla account device details.

If anyone want to try using Bubbler /SWconnect whilst on the current photo rally I will either link your spotwalla map in the riders column or embed it. I had originally thought of running the photo rally with Bubbler or SWconnect mandatory for all. But it would be good if a few of us act as guinea pigs to see if it is a good photo rally tool.

The Big Money Rally uses a modified bubbler app as the sole photo rally tool in their event. The process is pretty much automated within the website. But it's beyond my skills to set up something like that for us :(