Buffer miles on trip plan

So, here is my post ride analysis... my odo is underreporting by at least 5%. I use Scenic for my ride planning and tracking, and it had a 20 mile difference from my buddy's Garmin watch. I've emailed Guido, the developer of Scenic, and he thinks it may be that after a stop of ~5 minutes and if Scenic is not in the foreground, it isn't getting updates from the iPhone, and that I should double check my settings. I changed my settings to "always" instead of "while using". I'll validate on the next ride.

I'm going to try to export my ride data from Spotwalla, and import it into a couple of tools to see if it makes a difference.

Here is the simple facts; No one cares what your odo reads. It's not used to calculate the distance of your ride, ever. It's a comparative tool for documentation, that's all. Plan your route from the starting gas station to the ending gas station on a mapping program or Google Maps, make sure you have the 2-3% mileage buffer recommended and ride your ride. Note that if you do a Google Maps route from your start to your end locations and it's less than you want, adjust your route and document the corners to prove you didn't follow the shorter route.

No, your Spotwalla track will not be good enough. It's good secondary documentation, but your Dated Business Receipts with the correct info on them are your primary documentation and what will be used to calculate and confirm your ride distances.
Eric, good to hear from you...
First off, they accepted my Spotwalla track with embedded gas receipts, and it was plenty good enough to tell me I FAILED. The google map scenario that you describe would have not helped me, or at least I don't know how it would help me.
I was tooling along on my Ride Around Louisiana, an estimated 1200 mile trip. So knowing the mileage was secondary, since I had to End exactly where I Started. BUT, being 1200 miles, I was hoping to snag a SS1K on the way... if I cannot rely on any of my onboard tech to tell me when I've reached the 1000 mile milestone, what do I do? Keep riding to the 24 hour mark? My DBRs for start and finish with my odo only account for 1177 miles. A man with two watches can never be sure of the correct time!

As another example of how we must rely on tools like SWTracker and Spotwalla is Nate Steuber's recent accomplishment, which was 21 laps on the Lake Pontchartain Causeway. I don't know if he did, but I doubt he got a receipt at each lap, or corner as you call it. He also did an in-city SS1K looping around Houston. I'll ask him how he managed receipts at the corners next time I see him.

Give my love to your wife...

--Bobby

First off, they accepted my Spotwalla track with embedded gas receipts, and it was plenty good enough to tell me I FAILED. The google map scenario that you describe would have not helped me, or at least I don't know how it would help me.
Google maps would have helped by planning your SS1k receipt stop. If I'm planning a nested ride, I plan to stop to get a receipt to secure that cert in case the overall ride fails. Build in a buffer for that stop and as long as you have followed your planned route correctly your odo can be ignored.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
First off, they accepted my Spotwalla track with embedded gas receipts, and it was plenty good enough to tell me I FAILED.
Did you demarc the Start and Finish of your SS1k with accurate DBRs (as well as a fuel receipt at <350 increments within)?

Google maps would have helped by planning your SS1k receipt stop. If I'm planning a nested ride, I plan to stop to get a receipt to secure that cert in case the overall ride fails. Build in a buffer for that stop and as long as you have followed your planned route correctly your odo can be ignored.
I tried creating the Google map alongside my ride planning app, Scenic, and with 11 cities that must be visited for the Ride Around Louisiana, Google doesn't allow that my waypoints on a single map.
Did you demarc the Start and Finish of your SS1k with accurate DBRs (as well as a fuel receipt at <350 increments within)?
Please be aware... I failed to complete on time... it wasn't the documentation it was the execution of the route. But I'd like to improve all of the skills necessary. I've given up on using Google for mapping... and I'm trying to master Scenic.

I tried creating the Google map alongside my ride planning app, Scenic, and with 11 cities that must be visited for the Ride Around Louisiana, Google doesn't allow that my waypoints on a single map.
Please be aware... I failed to complete on time... it wasn't the documentation it was the execution of the route. But I'd like to improve all of the skills necessary. I've given up on using Google for mapping... and I'm trying to master Scenic.
Try using GoogleMy Maps and think in multiples of 10.
This link is for an event I did recently
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1XCfWQZhzmWIbo_IumfRYLI7fk9UJBp8&usp=sharing
I can have as many waypoints as I like in the first layer and for every layer below that you can have a route with 10 waypoints. The example linked has the maximum allowed. I then export those layers in KML format into an app called TopoGPS ($4.99 NZ dollars). I then created another Google MyMap for the rest of my plan.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yO-5nJZPjyean6QoOYxDsJjBpN5Z3tA&usp=sharing
In total I had 88 checkpoints to navigate, 7 fuel stops and 1 rest stop. All I used on the bike was TopoGPS running on one phone and google maps running via apple carplay on the screen on my Ultra Limited. I didnt miss one turn or check point and won the event overall.
I have spent a bit of time figuring this out because I hate Basecamp with a passion and don't see the point in investing in a stand alone gps unit when I'm carrying a capable device already.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I have spent a bit of time figuring this out because I hate Basecamp with a passion and don't see the point in investing in a stand alone gps unit when I'm carrying a capable device already.
Are there large areas in NZ with no cell signal coverage?

Russ Black

Premier Member
Basecamp with a passion and don't see the point in investing in a stand alone gps unit when I'm carrying a capable device already.
I am able to load the GPX files generated by Basecamp into Scenic and InRoute effortlessly. I imagine you can with any other of the plethera of navagation apps available as well. A GPX file, also known as a GPS Exchange Format file, is simply a text file with geographic information such as waypoints, tracks, and routes saved in it. You use GPX files to transfer that information between GPS units, computers, etc.

I am able to load the GPX files generated by Basecamp into Scenic and InRoute effortlessly. I imagine you can with any other of the plethera of navagation apps available as well. A GPX file, also known as a GPS Exchange Format file, is simply a text file with geographic information such as waypoints, tracks, and routes saved in it. You use GPX files to transfer that information between GPS units, computers, etc.
I know how to work with GPX files. I still use Basecamp when forced to, but I prefer not to.
GoogleMyMaps is always upto date with no input from me. I can use it from any computer just by logging into my google account. I can share my maps easily and the recipient doesn't need to have any additional software. When I'm looking at a point of interest, streetview is just a click away.
There was a guy riding a Hayabusa not quite 2 years ago who also finds it pretty handy.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Geographically there is largish areas not covered, but they are remote, unpopulated and mostly inaccessible.
Spark, a major network boasts mobile coverage to 98.6% of the population and 4G coverage to 96% of the population.
Interesting. Thank you for the information.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Eric, good to hear from you...
I was tooling along on my Ride Around Louisiana, an estimated 1200 mile trip. So knowing the mileage was secondary, since I had to End exactly where I Started. BUT, being 1200 miles, I was hoping to snag a SS1K on the way... if I cannot rely on any of my onboard tech to tell me when I've reached the 1000 mile milestone, what do I do? Keep riding to the 24 hour mark? My DBRs for start and finish with my odo only account for 1177 miles. A man with two watches can never be sure of the correct time!

As another example of how we must rely on tools like SWTracker and Spotwalla is Nate Steuber's recent accomplishment, which was 21 laps on the Lake Pontchartain Causeway. I don't know if he did, but I doubt he got a receipt at each lap, or corner as you call it. He also did an in-city SS1K looping around Houston. I'll ask him how he managed receipts at the corners next time I see him.

Give my love to your wife...

--Bobby
Spotwalla tracks alone are good secondary documentation. However, Spotwalla with embedded photos of gas receipts is a completely different level. You ARE supplying the DBRs with that method. But it's still the DBRs that count, not the Spotwalla track.

Stephen beat me to the method to have more than 10 points in a Google Maps route. It is also possible to simply manipulate the route so much that you can't even have 10 points. Often I find it simpler to just have multiple Google Map pages open. One starts where ever the previous one ended. The KEY is that your Google Maps route must be EXACTLY what you plan on riding, otherwise the mileage total is not going to be accurate.

You asked:
if I cannot rely on any of my onboard tech to tell me when I've reached the 1000 mile milestone, what do I do?
Here is a big thing; You're confusing the miles you rode with the miles you can prove you rode. The miles you can prove you rode are what the IBA is going to accept. Those miles come from planning, not riding. Once you have an acceptable plan for the miles you want, then you can go ride that plan and document it with your DBRs. How you choose to present those DBRs to the IBA is up to you.

Forget what your "onboard tech" says. No one cares. YOU need to know from your planning when/where you will be over 1000 miles and exactly where you plan on getting an ending DBR to document that. If you can't get to that location before the time window ends, and you still think you're over 1000 miles, you must find some other ending DBR before the time window runs out.

Remember, the very first thing the verification team is going to do to verify your ride is plug in your DBR locations to their mapping software. They are not going to examine your Spotwalla track first. Your DBRs should ALWAYS prove your route and mileage that you are claiming.

In other words, regardless of what route your Spotwalla track shows, if you plug the DBR addresses into a mapping program like Google Maps and it comes up short, you need additional DBR locations to document your correct mileage. To prove you indeed rode the route you say you rode. On a ride where no DBR locations are possible, then Spotwalla may be part of the solution.

If you wanted a SS1K in the event you timed out on the Ride Around Louisiana, then you needed to have a planned DBR end point for the SS1K already in your plan to document the end of the SS1K. You can't just say you were over 1000 miles even though your next DBR was past the 24 hour mark. The final DBR end of the SS1K had to be before the end of the 24 hour period to document that ride.

In regards to the other rides you mention, they are pre-approved routes with special documentation rules. You don't just do an In-City SS1K or repetitive loop route SS1K, you have to get any circular repeating route plan pre-approved. Most of the time, if not all of the time, IBA approved witnesses are required to visually document your laps. Sometimes at multiple points on the route. Often this means IBR finishers and others that are known to the IBA. BTDT, didn't get the cert.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Well yes it does. There is a how too in their site and in this site too. Failing that you simply start another map of your next leg.

Spotwalla is a supporting document not the full Monty. It has its place but DBRs are the main game.
Master Google mapping. Its what the forum the certification people use. "Science" clearly let you down so move on.