Bun Burner Gold 1500 and Saddlesore 2000 Gold

rebelmark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Bun Burner Gold and Saddle Sore 2000 Gold Ride Report

Why?? Thats the question I get asked most when I talk about my Iron Butt endurance rides. In May I did a Saddle Sore 1000 ride that frankly, I never thought I would be able to complete. It sounded daunting; 1000 miles in under 24 hours. I remember one trip my wife and I took to Colorado, and we rode 860 miles in one day, I wanted to die at the end of that trip; I was tired, sore, and wanted off the bike. How would I survive a 1000 mile ride?

As you all know, I completed my SS1000 and not only enjoyed it, but was so happy about my accomplishment. I decided to try a Iron Butt extreme ride, the Bun Burner Gold 1500; 1500 miles in under 24 hours.

Its funny, the games a mind plays on a person; up until the moment I fell asleep, I tried to justify reasons not to do the ride. I’m going to miss my kids…what if my bike breaks down….it sure is a long way to go! When the alarm went off at 1:45, I shrugged all of that aside and got dressed for my ride. My bike was loaded and ready, and my beautiful wife even got up with me to see me off.

These rides have a unique way of challenging a person; the gas pump that worked so well for me for my SS1000 refused to print a receipt at 2am for my Bun Burner. I went to a different pump…same result. FACK!!!! Ok, lets try the Chevron down the road. One squirt of gas to register, and whamm-O, there is a good receipt. Ok, time to get on this pony and ride! Interstate 5 North is not nearly as lonely as Interstate 5 South at 2am for some reason, so I cranked up the tunes and made great time to Sacramento. Very quickly, I was on I-80 and climbing the Sierras. I’m not a big fan of the Sierras during the day, but with the nervousness of my 1500 mile adventure along with the dark, I really didn’t like it.

I had all my stops planned to a T; including a first stop in Verdi. however, Rocket Queen had different ideas and we needed gas in Truckee. Begrudgingly, I stopped and filled up, knowing this would screw up my whole fueling schedule. I debated stopping in Verdi anyways, but decided against it. As I rolled into Reno, the sun was rising and I got a burst of energy. I made quick work of Fernley, and soon found myself in the 40 mile desert between Fernley and Lovelock.

It was there that disaster almost struck……

I was hungry and decided to grab a Cliff bar that I had in my dash bag. When I reached for my Cliff bar, I felt something fall out of my bag and hit my leg on the way down. JESUS!!! I think I just lost my hearing aids!! I freaked the “F” out!!! I pulled over, did a U-Turn on I-80, and started driving back up the shoulder. I could not do this trip without my hearing aids. I am a deaf SOB without those, and I needed them now. I drove back, looking…people were honking at me, thinking who is this crazy bastard driving the wrong way?? I didn’t care….finally, I saw something on the shoulder. I stopped….and it was something alright…my clear glasses. I got off the bike and then remembered my hearing aids were in my tour pack. I took a couple deep breaths…waited for a break in traffic, and then it was onward to Wendover.

The ride through Nevada was fast; I moved along around 85mph and enjoyed the solitude. Its a ride I have done many times before. You all know I love the desert, so I kicked back and rode hard. My gas stops were thrown off so I just winged it; when I got to 50 miles left, I found a stop. They all had good reciepts.

Before I knew it, I was crossing my favorite place in the world, the Utah Salt Desert. It is so serene and beautiful there, I just love it. It was getting hot though, so I jammed through and made Salt Lake City before rush hour. I made the climb out of SLC which is also beautiful with minimal traffic, and before I knew it I was in Coaldale getting fuel.

I knew the longest part of my trip was ahead of me; Wyoming. However, God must have listened to all your prayers, as he gave me a great tail wind and I made great time through this great state. I avoided performance awards, and kept a good pace despite all the construction. I stopped in Wamsutter for fuel, and then again in Pine Bluffs. Pine Bluffs was serene; its a beautiful place, just before Wyoming gives way to the Great Plains of Nebraska. I changed my helmet shield, got fuel, and headed off into Nebraska. A gorgeous full moon was rising. When people ask me why I did this, here is my answer. Driving through the prairies of Nebraska, with the sun setting, and a full moon rising, was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. The sites, smells, and thoughts of all the people that made this journey before me without the benefit of a combustion engine intrigued me. I met many friendly people on the road; and despite my tiredness, I truly enjoyed the ride through Nebraska. It was the highlight of my trip.

By this time I had been on the road a long time. It was 350 miles from Pine Bluffs to Grand Island, and I earned every one of those miles. I kept pushing on; I was tired, but not to the point to be unsafe. I actually ran over a deer carcass in the road, but didn’t panic and it was fine. I arrived in Grand Island and had some trouble finding a room, but, God, people in the Midwest are so friendly and helpful; the hotel I stopped at told me to go next door where they knew one room was available. Luke Bryan is right; if we all get out of our bubble, with its predjudices and misconceptions, we will find most Americans ARE good. Helpful, caring people. Especially in the Midwest.

I checked into my room but the adrenaline was still flowing….I finally drifted asleep for a few hours, but was up by 6am knowing I had 650 miles to get back to my childhood home in New Berlin, WI.

I took off from Grand Island to get my first Tour of Honor Huey of the trip in Seward, NE. Then it was on to Omaha to meet some friends for breakfast. When I pulled in I could tell there was a huge storm off to the North. My weather radar confirmed this. Everything happens for a reason, and I think stopping for breakfast gave me enough time to let the weather system pass.

I want to pause right here and say, the drivers in Nebraska are some of the most courteous I have ever encountered. I wish I could say the same about Iowa drivers! I took off through Iowa with impending bad weather and notices of road closures. By the grace of God, I avoided the bad weather, but I had Iowa drivers try to run me off the road, honk at me, and other rude stuff! I couldn’t believe it! As I would say…”whats wrong with you people!!”

I missed a doozy of a storm; there were semi trucks blown over in the median, big lightening, and skittish drivers. I worked through all that, and heavy traffic, and soon found myself crossing the Mighty Mississippi!! Before that though, I wanted to do my second Tour of Honor Huey stop in Davenport. I pulled up to the National Guard station, kept the bike running, pulled out my flag, and took the picture. At that time, a security guard came walking towards me! I played like I couldn’t hear, got my pic, and GTFO! Never a dull moment!

Illinois was uneventful except for the unexpected toll roads; however, the roads were smooth and the pace was good. It was there I realized I might be eligible for a Saddle Sore 2000 Gold; I stopped, got gas and a good receipt, and pushed on.

Finally, I was in the motherland….Wisconsin. I do love my birthplace. Everything is so green, beautiful, and the roads are smooth. 10 miles from my exit some blonde tried to kill me in my lane, but a quick brake and dodge kept me alive. I pulled in to New Berlin, got a final gas just in case, and made it home for my favorite Italian dish and my awesome parents.

This was a life changing experience for me. Will I be signing up for another Bun Burner Gold…..maybe not this year but who knows. The challenge was awesome, I am so glad I did it, and I am looking forward to a leisurely ride home with my wifey. I cannot thank all of you enough for your encouragement, kind words, and posts. I truly could not do it without you all. There were sometimes I was ready to give up, and read a post from someone encouraging me, and kept on going. I have the greatest friends and family a man could ask for.

Last edited:

rebelmark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Epilogue

4669 Miles in 6 days. What an opportunity to see this great nation from the seat of a motorcycle. Traveling through Wisconsin on the bike was definitely a highlight. We enjoyed riding through small towns in Iowa that harken back to a time when things were much simpler. Nebraska was as flat and straight as I remembered it the last time I travelled it in college, but we enjoyed the congeniality of the people we met, the perfect roads, and the more relaxed pace then my Iron Butt rides on the way out.

Teri and I have always travelled together well on the bike, it is our own special place that we just seem to gel. We stopped when we wanted to stop, when we were hungry, we ate….(wait, I sound like Mr. Gump)! You get the picture though…we had a great time. Some of the highlights were Rocky Mountain National Park, following the Colorado River, and Utah HWY 191 out of Green River.

After my Iron Butt rides on the way out, I was just completely relaxed. I know I can be a high strung, excitable guy but I just felt like the stress and tension had melted away after my certified rides out to Wisconsin. I truly was able to just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. I think the day to day monotony of life builds up and I just need a explosive release once in a while to reset. Maybe Iron Butt rides are the way I am able to do this. It sure seems like it.

When we got to Green River UT I did feel homesick for the first time during the trip. For some reason the desolateness of this place really made me miss the kids and want to get home. On top of that, my bike was acting up and we had a real worry of getting stranded somewhere that would be difficult to find help. The original plan was to head across HWY 50 (Loneliest Road in America), but due to the 4th of July holiday and the infrequent small towns on this road, I decided to go north to SLC and then west on 80. I knew the truck stops would be open and the road would be more heavily traveled if I had a problem. We were rewarded with the beautiful ride on HWY 191 as the sun was rising. Utah is a gorgeous state!

The bike was making a hell of a racket at this time, and using about 1 quart of oil per 100 miles. I bought a gallon of oil, stopped every 100 miles, and added more. I did not baby it across Nevada; we rode hard and fast and it was hot. I figured if it was going to blow, it was going to blow. We made it to Reno, had a nice steak dinner and gambled a little, and then we were up early the next morning to go over the pass. I did take it easy on the bike for this final leg, as we both wanted to get home.

All the equipment on my bike worked very well. We have a good setup and my GPS, cupholder, and cell phone mount worked great. I was able to use the GPS very efficiently during my iron butt, while using my cell phone for weather reports, Waze, and checking routes. I didn’t like the grip covers I installed; they were too thick. I am going to go back to the ones I had on my Beemer which seemed to work better with regards to the heated grips and they just have a softer feel to them. The LD Comfort underwear worked good; I had no chaffing at all and it was comfortable. Highly recommended for any long trips.

The Victory Vision is a great road machine. It really ate up the miles and was very comfortable doing so. When I knew the motor was terminal, I thought about buying a new bike but I think I am just going to replace the motor and hang on to it. I will get a couple of spare parts like a voltage regulator and clutch cable before my next long trip, but other than that I think it is solid. I think the fact that it got us home even with that hurt engine impressed me the most. It is a tough motor! I am going to remove the 6x9’s from the saddle bags and just upgrade the passenger speakers in the tour pack. We could have used the extra room that those 6x9’s take up, although I think we packed very well for the trip. I’m sure my neighbors will be sad that they won’t hear Eazy-E bumping when I pull into the neighborhood, but I’m sure they will adapt.

I had some time to think about why I do these rides. I guess the best thing I can come up with is I want to prove to myself that I can accomplish a seemingly impossible task; our bodies can do it; believe me I am no fitness model. It is all mental. You have to put your mind over matter, think clearly, make good decisions, and stay positive. I also wanted to do something that I can use as an example to my kids that you can do anything you put your mind to. No matter how crazy, impossible, or out of reach something may seem, if you put your mind to it and focus, plan, and execute well, you can accomplish it. Its a good lesson for everyone, and it is a lesson that can be learned in many ways. For me, its all about combining my lifetime love of motorcycles, the open road, overcoming adversity, pushing on, and getting it done.

Last edited: