Bush Fire stuff. RUall OK

Rusjel

Premier Member
Got a few friends affected sadly, but the fires haven't taken off near Pollyworld. We had a massive burn off in 06-07 so we aren't immune.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Us newbies out in the "Grove" have made arrangements and sorted our shit. home all days are now familier with mobile numbers and pet names or how to hook up a float.
Just extra ordinary normal shit.
Funny thing is nearly all of us newcomers have at some time in our pasts been up close and personal to big arsed fires.
That makes us more new/unusual to the grove....
We might be the ones who pass through less singed perhaps?

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am well in lobethal, I can't say the same for the town. Surrounded by fires yesterday. Helen and our dog vacated the town along with most of the residents yesterday morning, I stayed to watch over the house and brewery. Still no power or Internet so I left town this morning to let staff know of the situation and could not get back into town. Had to ride almost 200 km to find a dirt track that was not blocked by fires or police.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
I am well in lobethal, I can't say the same for the town. Surrounded by fires yesterday. Helen and our dog vacated the town along with most of the residents yesterday morning, I stayed to watch over the house and brewery. Still no power or Internet so I left town this morning to let staff know of the situation and could not get back into town. Had to ride almost 200 km to find a dirt track that was not blocked by fires or police.
Thanks for the update. Mate in Woodside is ok too. Take care mate. Just checking the CFS map...still activity in your region.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Good to read from you Jeff. Bloody awful situation.
My mate on Waltons Road HartleyVale NSW has dodged a bullet two days straight.
His is the red roofed complex if you look at a sat image.
A few years back I pushed a couple of trees so the way out had no bottleneck.

Man these fires are over the top.

HACKLE

At the moment myself and Elwyn are a bit shocked by the news that our once great 5 acre home/property, [2006- 2010] on Duncan Road has been impacted by the fires in Sarsfield, East Gippsland. The main house is still standing but the small two bedroom cottage has been burnt. In the court behind what was our property, half the houses are burnt. Two doors down the road close friends had the house [property] either side of them burnt.
So many effected, so many memories wiped out.

Please stay safe members, and when finally things settle down, lets get out into these communities and give them all the support we can.

Brookester

Premier Member
My former neighbour in Braidwood, Kerrie, just spent 17 days as catering manager for the Black Range & Currawong fires. Then Monday before Xmas went to her mum & dads place in Moruya where Dad is Area Commander RFS & Mum is catering manager. Boxing day some 71yr old hippie lit fires starting the Deua River fire only 10kms from their home. Today whilst Dad Bruce is out doing his best on 3 fire fronts & uncontactable from home, Kerrie & Mum Barb are at home with the pride & joy an old Chevy Blitz still in perfect working order saving their family home and many others. With sister Sally a full time RFS Air Coordinator who has been hard at it for the last 3 months, this family has 52yrs, 51yrs, 35yrs & 37yrs with the RFS mostly as volunteers. And in the middle of all this Kerrie lost days teaching at Captains Flat, Bruce's brother passed in Qld from the Big C and the little cutie Poppie puppy tore a ligament in her knee running from flying embers & the roaring noise of fast approaching fire. Also many other friends and work colleagues down that way have lost everything. So I can sympathise with one & all as I try to keep contact with Kerrie & family as to just how hard and devastating all these fires are and the toll they are having on everyone near and far. I agree with Hackle, when things settle we all need to go for a ride, take mates & family along and support these communities. Best wishes to all for a better 2020.
2019-12-31 15.52.53.png

kwaka

Premier Member
Was awoken yesterday morning around 05:15 to the smell of burning eucalyptus, bolted out of bed but no flames to be seen. Learnt later about the more southern fires and that the smoke from down our SE coast had arrived in the Hill. We've had hazy days from the other fires around the country before but this was very thick you'd swear it was a nearby bush bbq, didn't clear till late afternoon.
Can only imagine the terror, fear and heartache these fires have had on my fellow Aussies and one can't speak highly enough of the courage, bravery and sheer guts it takes to fight the flames.
Thoughts and prays are with you all.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Wendy and I took a day trip to the Butterfly House yesterday down at Coffs.
First time in months we have felt OK about not being about home. Believe it or not we have big fires since early August.
TonyK and laura have a place south of Copeton Dam. They too have had fires on three sides creeping up on them for months too.

I just look at the size of the black patches on the firesnearme app and the number of new fires each morning after dry storms each evening.
This is just stupid.
No one cuts fire breaks anymore. Dush roads and fire trails dont get maintained. Small towns are overgrown with scrub and grass as a norm these days. The mental think is just not switched on anymore.
The state commissioner said on radio yesterday "we just done have enough resources". Well who would have thought?
He said this to warn the public. Tell the public...its possible noone can help you.
This is a national disgrace.
So many services putting so much at risk to fix a problem this smart country should have an answer for.
We dont.
We have dropped the ball.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I am hoping and wishing everyone makes it through this, I have a niece in Orbost region of Vic with a dairy farm she owns, and a younger brother fighting fires with the CFA from his region near Boolarra Vic and with friends and family from Morwell to Cann River, and we have all spent a few years in Bemm River Vic, so I watch and pray they are all safe, and those prayers are for all those affected by these fires.

Ed.

Premier Member
Thanks to all that have sent messages over the last few days making sure we are ok here. While the fire has constantly been within about 5-8km from my place we have been lucky that we haven't had to deal with anything too directly threatening here yet - just lots of preparation work and being on high alert!
The eastern edge of the fire looks to have fairly low activity at the moment on the back of a couple of days of more favourable weather. But a strong-ish norwester could bring it back in from that direction instead. Friday and Saturday are the next days of increased risk that we might see it flair up again - 41deg and the aforementioned NW wind.
The resources that are being thrown at this one are quite staggering (watching the very large air tankers working at close distance is awe inspiring and it is amazing to see a conga line of choppers refilling in the river and heading back up the hill). The crews have made good use of the milder conditions to try and get a lid on the areas likely to have the worst impacts. So I'm hoping there will not be too much to see over the weekend but it is good to be prepared.