Butt Lite Grand Tour April 15 - November 15, 2021

The 2021 Butt Lite results have just been published and I am please that my submission achieved "Finisher" status. The organizers did not keep score so participants were either a "Finisher" or a "DNF".

During the Research & Planning phase way back in March, I decided on 2 rules.
  • (1) any bonus had to be more than 100 kms from my home. I mean, a Grand Tour around the neighborhood is just "not legit".
  • (2) all bonuses had to be within NSW due to the willingness of some State Premiers to close their borders at the slightness hint of a sneeze.
This resulted in 5 routes (North Coast, North-West, West, South-West and South Coast) .

The Nth-West loop was completed in April, the Western loop was done in May, then Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep and Oct were spent polishing my bike in a covid-induced "stay at home" travel restriction.

As a Sydney-sider, I was not allowed outside of my LGA, and it was during this time that I relented just a little on Rule (1) and picked up 3 bonuses within 5 kms of my home. I am sure it was not "essential travel" so I classified it "exercise".

When the travel restrictions lifted on Nov-1, I hit the road on Nov-2 and completed the Sth-West loop.

Some bonuses were easy to find (it's almost impossible to hide a Mormon Church), some were out the back of nowhere (George "Barber" Clarke at Boggabri), some were hard to find (Alan Cunningham at Baraba), and some were emotionally moving (Myall Creek Massacre).

All were worth the effort if for no other reason than learning more about Australia's early European history.

I am not sure if there will be another Team Strange Grand Tour in 2022 as I think they seemed to have passed the baton onto the LDX crew, who will run a USA based event, but if the opportunity does come along, I will be " in like Flynn ".
Correct. There are no more Team Strange Butt Lite rallies, that series is retired much to the dismay of us who got to ride them, number 10 excepting which was cancelled in 2020. The GT series is alive and functioning and will remain so.

The LDX has replaced the Butt Lite series and knowing Paul, will be a stellar event. Hop on a plane and go ride it.

Murphyau

I knew about the LDX team picking up the multi-day Butt Lite Rally baton, but was not sure about the Grand Tour aspect. I will wait with bated breath for the 2022 Grand Tour announcement. Hopefully there will again be an "International" option.