Calais 7/8/9 Dec

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Someone at the last RTE mentioned about where to park securely? Around the back of the hotel somewhere?

Was it you, Steve?

Any details?

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Tom,

There's secure parking behind the hotel, with a security gate and intercom, just press the button to tell reception to open it for you.

Rue du Duc de Guise is One Way

1543574415452.png

Last year I pulled up at the gate, got off my bike, happily presses the intercom button and in my best GCSE French, gave it a full on “Bonjour....Ja Ma Pel Jon... Ja Hav’ Un Res-a-vation, C Vu Play....”

A garbled message came back which, I took to be a warm welcome and agreement to let me in...

So, expecting the big grey steel gate to open, I got back on my bike and waited.... and waited....after at least a minute had passed in got off, pushed the button and again, gave it my best...”la porte... C Vu Play” I may have added, after the button was released, an abrupt definition of just how cold it was outside, in my best English....

A similar message came back so I knew, they knew I was there but still no gate....

By now I was starting to get a little frustrated but, keeping a stiff upper lip I waited...

As I was about to push the button for the third time when the gate slid sharply to the left and I was greeted by a not so happy looking French lady who, gave me one of them all knowing Gallic shrugs, looked me square in the eye and said “it’s broken!” “You av to push it”

Ah... “Merci beau coup” I replied...

She strutted off back in to the warm, arms raised. Maybe, her frustration was more than mine...

Three things I learnt here. Don’t pretend to speak in a language you have no chance of understanding the answer too or it will make you (I mean me of course) look a twat...

There are similarities between the French and the British...not every thing works as it should.

And... the phrase “putain d'idiot” should be taught at GCSE level...

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
i have found most of the staff speak good English, sometimes it may be best to call at the desk first and let them give you the direction, we normally park the bikes under the stairs all together that way we dont get charged car parking

Hi all -- will have to sadly drop out of this one as the bike has developed a charging problem this week. A new rectifier is on its way but won't be done in time for next weekend :(

Have fun! Hope to make the next one.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
i have found most of the staff speak good English, sometimes it may be best to call at the desk first and let them give you the direction, we normally park the bikes under the stairs all together that way we dont get charged car parking
Hi Graeme,

They've resurfaced the car park and marked new parking spaces since last December, so we may not be able to park under the stairs; and we may get charged for parking this year. Just so you know...

Regards,
Martin

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Martin

Stopped at the IBIS in August on the way to the Eurotour. We were parked on the cobbles and small areas between the parking spaces. :)

However, a popular RTE and the sheer number of attendees may make these areas (if available) insufficient for our needs :eek: and as you point out some may have to pay the price:(

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
We will be early for a change aiming to be in Calais early afternoon mmmmmm nice slow beers for the afternoon no playing catch us this year