Caleigh's IBR 2023 Big Dance Report

Caleigh Kerr

IBA Member
IBR Finisher
This has been a long time coming and I think I deserve a ‘fail’ for getting my ride write up out so late in the game. But here we are, and the journey will forever continue. Over the past Fall semester, I have been wanting to share with you, my riding family, my experience with the Big Dance but my undergrad studies took the better of me. Many of you may have thought my dad and I were on something during the 2023 Iron Butt Rally. I’m gonna do my best to articulate and share what we were on: the pure joy of the ride together as Dad and Daughter.

In order to better understand my experience, I must share with you my goals going into this gnarly ride. My dad, Jon Kerr alias “Jon Deer,” and I formulated these goals (more or less in order of import):
  1. To have an Iron Butt load of Fun- I believe we won first place in this category especially on account of Marc Beaulac asking us after a sit down to Poutine in Quebec ‘what we were on to be so full of energy’ in the third leg of the rally haha.
  2. I wanted to be a finisher & and receive my prized digits- which I gratefully did: #662
  3. Get home safe- with no small amount of protection by Deity from a close moose encounter to more than a little anxiety for anticipated run-ins with deer. I thank my angelic mother for her constant prayers that we would return home in one piece.
  4. Be Co-pilots- this last goal took shape over the course of the rally as I took on greater responsibility when it came to routing, point calculation, hotel calling, and of course distracting my dad from time to time. I did not want to take part in any lazy participation- I wanted to earn the finisher status with my dad.

My unique goals for this dance coincided with the above team goals (for, we really were a two-up TEAM):
My top priority first and foremost was to involve my Heavenly Father in this challenging and transforming experience. I prayed, of course, for protection and believed I would receive it, but I also prayed with the intent to learn what the Lord wanted me to learn & experience on this journey. In light of that, I wanted to love Him and love my other riders while in preparation, during the 11 days of rally time, and in the cool down after the ride. I wanted to meet everybody and I was blessed to associate with, love, and learn from so many- thank you to everyone who opened a door, smiled or hugged, or shared their time, love, insights, experiences, and life with me. You have become endeared to me as my riding family, and I will treasure you for always. I also wanted to embrace the “type 2 fun” and test my endurance limits on all scales- I wanted to ride the ride and dance the dance. And it was phenomenal.

I asked my adopted Grunkle, James Owen, what he would tell me about this dance [I remember first hearing the term ‘Big Dance’ from him]. He shared with me that sometimes riding motorcycles is more than the destination- it’s the ride, the journey, the experience itself. Here is a collection of my favorite memories along this journey and endless road: IMG_84C95426B8A9-1.jpeg

Caleigh Kerr

IBA Member
IBR Finisher
BFA7A626-57AA-4687-BE99-2200F6246A42.jpeg 2669DA8E-DE6C-4922-BF29-52E1078D8F8B.jpeg tempImageNgC3YS.png tempImage20XgFn.png - -New family- one thing I chose to do with all of the time on my hands, besides being the best distraction and co-pilot for my dad, was that I got to chat with so many delightful and wonderful people whom I love. There were certain people whom I have now claimed as my family: I first got to meet Reef Assadiq- he gives good hugs and his daughter is gonna do the IBR next time with him ;) I loved getting to see Rachel Baldwin, her rocking bike and riding vest pins and receive her hugs and support on the ride. I loved getting to see her at CO checkpoint. I love their hugs and encouragement. Specifically my adopted rider uncles Tim Allen, Justin Long, & Mike Best. Uncle Cory Ure went and got beignets in New Orleans which, after a hassle with an ATM, I followed suit (how could I not?). We had another good conversation after a group pic in CO for like 45 mins. Worth it. I loved getting to see Lisa Stevens and laugh with her at bonus counting. And her husband Toby did a solid job capturing me and dad’s matching painted toes, I’ll give him that for sure. Getting to interact with Lisa Stevens & Nancy Oswald reminded me of me of good times and cartwheels on the LDX 2022. We had such a good time, and I hope my pictures made people enjoy the ride a little bit more. They sure made my ride a more lovely experience. Also that’s Paul Tong pretending to be me when I take pictures at bonuses- I’d give it a low B-, he could use a little bit more spring in his step and sparkle in his eye. Dad and I had a good time yelling “BINGO!” Whenever we got one of the food bonuses hahaha. I have a special place in my heart for Australian sis Bec McCallum. She was part of my strength on the rally. We would text, vent, support and share experiences with each other what we were experiencing. I love her for that.

-Part the Water in our Motel- All of a sudden the rain began to pour and we had to pull in for the first night of the first leg of the rally. We got our cards to go to the motel room… but it felt like the beginning of a horror movie because the door to the room was left slightly ajar. In my head, I was screaming to not do what the person in the movie always does… but it was wet outside so we opened the door- and it was wet inside too haha! The whole floor was a massive puddle! But because the motel’s policy was to not use towels on the floor, we just had to part the Red Sea so to speak!

-Alabama & The Bug Man- Another muggy day in the Deep South and strange bugs- of which names I did not know nor would want to utter- came smashing into our face shields. Thanks to a special technique taught by master rider uncle Mike Best, we pulled into a gas station to acquire the needed materials (trash bag + soda machine ice) to cool ourselves down in our heavy hot gear. Upon entering the gas station we heard some screams amidst the commotion. The beautiful ladies working there found a massive black wasp flying loose in the kitchen. But never fear! Bug Man is here! (Another one of the many alias names of my dad). With broom in hand, assisted by some southern hot sauce and menacing bug spray the feared wasp came to its end. While I was at the center of the commotion filling our jugs with ice I loved listening to their thick southern accents and just felt grateful for being in this present sweaty and wonderful situation. It was awesome haha!

Caleigh Kerr

IBA Member
IBR Finisher
-Pulled Over to Pee in CO- Dad and I were really enjoying our time strolling through the peaceful fields of north eastern Colorado. But then an emergency appeared. I had to pee. Really bad. Which is saying something because I can go strong for quite a number of hours compared to my dad’s tiny bladder. So dad hit the gas— at the very wrong time— and we got pulled over by a cop a minute after. It was as hilarious as it was excruciating to wait for our kind police officer but we got to a relief area soon enough haha. Hilarious.

-Magic Station in MO- I remember it was getting hard while we were tramping through humid and heavy Missouri. We found ourselves at a gas station, unlike your regular gas station. It was like an antique convenience store that was so sweet. I could feel how special it was within moments of stepping inside. It had this special peace and aura there. As dad and I sat outside on this little corner street away from the highway, and as I ate a delicious ice cream cone, we felt that time had ceased here. It was so quiet. Peaceful. Away from all of the blur and din of the outside world. It was like we had no worries and could just take some time to rest and rejuvenate. It was seriously like time had stopped, and it was so special to us.

-Fudge Run to Mackinac Island- Well I got the whole package deal on this rally. I got to relive the memories of my youth living on the east coast and ride upon a ferry-- to the famous Mackinac Island. Look, I know we have to get to bonuses, take the pic, and travel on, BUT thanks to Jeff Earls this was a FOOD rally. So being teh good daughter that I am, I insisted that we participate in the experience and actually eat food and be filled. I loved pondering about the principle of being filled on this rally. Wind in our hair on the ferry, running in clunky riding boots through the crowded horse-drawn streets of the island, purchasing some famous fudge, and then running back before the same ferry left to the mainland was stellar. Probably one of my proudest moments.

-Anne of Green Gables & Caleigh of IBR- You may know that I am a redhead and therefore have a special love for Anne of Green Gables. So, when PEI, the birth place of Anne, became a bonus option on the third leg, there was no question about somehow making it a part of our route. Besides seeing the scariest animal crossing signs of my life (moose and bear) we got to see Marc Beaulac In Quebec on our stop for some authentic poutine (highly recommend). It was fun to say hi to him and laugh as he wondered why we were so happy (we just ate poutine duh???). On Prince Edward Island I was living a fairytale dream. It was out of the question if we were visiting Green Gables or not. We spent an hour or so at THE Anne of Green Gables home, sat still to enjoy the early morning bird calls and June flowers, rode around the Lake of Shining Waters, and strolled through the Enchanted Forest. It was the best (you can tell how conflicted dad felt about it in the picture). But we realized that that experience together at a place I loved and was special to me was going to be more memorable and important than getting an extra bonus in time:) (Which we still did). It was so special to see so many small daisies and lupines lined the highways throughout Canada. I love purple flowers haha.

tempImageX4mAOY.png 4FDE7EE0-022C-457A-BA8B-31385F6E75B1.jpeg tempImage6o1PdV.png tempImageEO9QWt.png

Caleigh Kerr

IBA Member
IBR Finisher
-The Rolling Hills of Pugwash NS- One of my favorite memories. After going across the terrifying PEI bridge we took a chance on a wandering road and found magic. We flew by furry cows with large horns and small colorful farm houses. I threw my hands in the air like a rollercoaster ride and just so enjoyed it. To join the rollercoaster was my homework assignment. I started a college semester the last week of the IBR so while I sat upon my throne on the back of our Honda GL1800 I finished assignments for one of my classes. It was radical.

-Nova Scotia Kicked my cute lil Iron Butt- Getting to Meat Cove for those Lobster Rolls was probably the most challenging part of the rally for me. I think this was because 1. On this route dad and I didn’t communicate as much as we usually do so we weren’t meeting each other’s needs and 2. Although the landscape was a masterpiece and the winding roads were enjoyable, we did some hard riding that day. And it was physically and mentally exhausting. Type 2 fun. I’m so grateful to my dad for keeping us safe and that we got it done.

-Beauty in the Diversity of God’s Creations- I decided my new favorite colors upon witnessing a Wisconsin sunset. Sunset orange, periwinkle clouds, and honey sunshine. You are allowed to laugh or say what you will, but that was the sense from which I saw it. I also fell in love with the lush dark green foliage and wet grey stone of Kentucky. It felt like I was really connecting with my Scottish roots there haha! I also loved going through Ohio and enjoying the murals that told their stories on building walls throughout Columbus and Cincinnati.

Connect helmets.jpeg 84A0C6AC-B6B5-40F7-917E-A5CAA9E936A1.jpeg B6486483-FCBA-4E2E-923E-0EE8E39F82AB.jpeg

Caleigh Kerr

IBA Member
IBR Finisher
-Inspiring Leaders- I know that I was grateful for my angelic mother and her prayers. I was also grateful for IBR Mom Lisa for keeping us in check and riding safe. I am grateful that she believed in me from the beginning. That kept me going. I value my conversation at the conclusion of the rally with Lisa Landry, John Harrison and Mark Crane. They were kind to me and strengthened me. I will be forever grateful to them for that. I love them for it.

-The Night that Would Never End- The last night of the rally before riding into the barn was brutal. We would ride for twenty minutes or an hour and have to stop to rest our tired eyes. This usually took place on a lonesome picnic table at McDonalds or we found ourselves asleep in the grass of a gas station or park. The fog, rain, and cold were hard to endure. Some trusty hot chocolate was rejuvenating but what really helped us get to the barn was when the sun came up. I think about my faith in the Son of God, Jesus Christ. I literally am a witness and recipient of His light and strength in my life on and off this rally. His light led & and accompanied me on this journey.

-Just being with my dad:)- I just love my dad so much. I am so grateful for his kindness to me. I could not have completed this ride without him. I will forever be grateful for this radical ride that I got to share with my dad. I love you dad!

Also, look at my cute Graunt Janet & Grunkle James & my cute mom who came out to greet us as we rolled into the barn! This is what 11,000ish miles in 11 days looks like :)
tempImage0ZyJFi.png IMG_8911.JPEG 43rd Place.jpeg

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Glad to read that you found plenty of those IBR moments where you can enjoy the singular glory of that tiny window and what it randomly brings you, along with the overall river of experiences that endurance riding brings.