CC50 Planning

I’m in the process of planning a CC50 for myself and a couple fellow IBA riders this September (2018). Since we all live in Tampa, FL, we will do the JAX/FL-SD/CA route. I would appreciate any and all words of advice from any of the Old Salts on here. Specifically, I am concerned about:

1) ideal departure time from Jacksonville, FL to facilitate an acceptable checkin time at a hotel in Central Texas (thinking somewhere around Kerrville or Junction, TX as mid-point stop), in addition to a convenient arrival time in San Diego to facilitate End Point Certification. (Our son lives on Jacksonville Beach, so beginning certification will be no problem, despite start time).

2) we would really like to hear viewpoints on the two different strategies of distance riding... fast-paced versus slow-paced. Here in Florida, Interstate bumper-lane speeds seem to routinely run right at 80 mph, so it’s hard to run at 65-70 mph without practically becoming a road hazzard. But if there is a significant time savings because of fewer fuel stops running at a lower speed, then we would consider it.

3) regarding End Point Certification, what are your recommendations? Are there IBA members in San Diego who would be willing to meet us at Ocean Beach? Or do you recommend coordinating with a local Police/Sheriff’s department or Fire Station to have an on-duty member certify our End Time/Mileage. If so, do we go to the beach then backtrack, or how does that work?

We will all be riding large-model Harley’s (please don’t judge - lol) and each of us will have a one-gallon emergency fuel can onboard for the more desolate stretches of Arizona/New Mexico. In addition to that preparation, are there any other precautions we might take to guarantee our success (other than all getting BMW’s or GoldWings!)?

Obviously, any other pointers to make our trip easier and ensure our success will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

Respectfully,

Ron Gettler, MSgt, USMC(Ret)
IBA #66132

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Depending upon the dates we may wave at each other as we pass in opposite directions. I'm leaving SD at 1 am on 9/9. :)

You said a "couple" of fellow IBA riders. Have you ridden certified rides with them before? I only ask because everyone's riding styles really need to mesh for a ride like this.

I can only speak from personal experience on my Wing; the faster I go the more gas the bike drinks and the more fuel stops I need to make. I have no idea how speed translates to mileage on your bikes. I prefer to travel with the flow or slightly faster and take the consequences of MPG.

Other, more experienced responses should be coming soon.

Thank you for your service. Are you a Tour Of Honor rider? If not, take a look... www.tourofhonor.com

Scott Parish

Premier Member
On my last 100CCC (SD>Jax>SD) I departed from Jax for my return leg at 0500 which allowed me to pass through Houston and San Antonio during off-peak traffic times. I arrived in SD around 6pm; but I rode non-stop. Getting witness signatures is never really an issue. The easiest way to eliminate this worry is to update to a Premier membership - most value you will get out of $40.00 bucks; i.e. no witnesses needed and much faster certification turnaround time. If you haven't already - I would recommend reviewing the ride reports posted under certified rides for insight.

Thanks for your replies, Gentleman. And yes, Brian, I’ve rode SS1000 with these people before, and we all have the same riding style. We will probably follow the style of hanging with the flow of traffic or a little faster. One of our bikes will get a little bit less fuel mileage than the other two, but we’ll have him use his spare tank to match us. He can get off at a Rest Area to dump his spare gallon in the tank, and we’ll just back it down until he catches up. Or... all three of us can dump our spares in the tank and we’ll match the least efficient bike’s mileage. Still won’t get more than 250 miles between stops.

I’ll talk to the group about Premier status. I’ll have to research it, though, since I don’t know anything about it. I’m sure there’s a link on the IBA.COM website, right?

Again, thanks guys.

Semper Fi,

Top Gettler
(MSgt in the Marines are called “Top,” for their previous status the the TOP of the enlisted rank structure; Marines are called “DevilDOGS,” respectfully named “Dogs from Hell” by the Germans during WWI; and I served in the Corps from 1974-1997; hence TopDog1974. Nothing egotistical.)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>One of our bikes will get a little bit less fuel mileage than the other two, but we’ll have him use his spare tank to match us.<...>
Um...

That rider's gonna have a messy trip log, having to account for *every time* that extra gallon of fuel is added to that bike.

If that rider only has 200 miles of range, the other two should simply consider fueling at that time. It'll sure make life easier.

If you're efficient with fuel stops (10 minutes), even adding another fuel stop on each day shouldn't prevent a successful ride - especially if you'll be splitting the distance (overnight in Junction), rather than doing a BBG and overnighting in Van Horn.

Luck to all of ya!

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Top - I usually keep my speed at 70-75 to avoid unwanted attention. Plus it enables me to enjoy the ride more by not always scanning exit overpasses for LEO's etc. I have found moving is the key. :)

Semper Fi,

Sgt Parish

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I’ll talk to the group about Premier status. I’ll have to research it, though, since I don’t know anything about it. I’m sure there’s a link on the IBA.COM website, right?
It's the best $40 you'll ever spend if you do a lot of cert riding. https://ibaestore.com/ and then look for Premier on the left side of the page.

Do you have a SPOT or inReach to track your location? If so, submitting for approval is even easier.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I to would also just stop for fuel all at the same time messing with the can both putting it in and filling it up and storing it is gonna eat up as much time over two days as an extra fuel stop or two. I stopped in Qzona TX left me essentially a SS1000 for the second day(1070 Miles) the Quality Inn there is descent and close to the Highway. Don't cut the second say to short time wise I had a flat in Ft Stockton and and needed a tire the nearest one was in Odessa 80 miles away it ended up being a 6 hour delay start to finish and I hadn't left enough time in the schedule to make it up.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That rider's gonna have a messy trip log, having to account for *every time* that extra gallon of fuel is added to that bike.!
How is it any different than using an aux tank plumbed into the bike? Unless it takes 15+ minutes to dump that can, no need to log the stop...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
How is it any different than using an aux tank plumbed into the bike? Unless it takes 15+ minutes to dump that can, no need to log the stop...
We need to know that one is using aux fuel whether it's in a can or a fuel cell and account for the additional fuel by filling up the can whenever it's been used. If not, our gas mileage calculation can show weird variation.

Thanks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

We need to know that one is using aux fuel whether it's in a can or a fuel cell and account for the additional fuel by filling up the can whenever it's been used. If not, our gas mileage calculation can show weird variation.

Thanks.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks Ira, fellow RoadGlider (‘17 Ultra),

So I’m not sure I understand the issue with using an external fuel can, 1-gallon, made to fit in a hard-bag. If used, it only takes 5-minutes or less to dump it in the tank at a rest area or siding, which if I understand correctly, is not required to be documented (less than 30 minutes). As for the fuel mileage calculations, it should be a wash since that extra gallon will be put back in the gas can at the next stop, therefore being included in that calculation. Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I don’t want to be DQ’d for some process I was unaware of.

Also “Thanks” to Brian for the recommendations of the tracking programs. I’ll have to look into that. I do have a tracking program called “Life360,” but I’m not at all familiar if it has similar features to the programs you mentioned.

Finally, thanks to all the input to help us make our run a success.

Respectfully,

Ron Gettler
Devildog Extraordinaire! (Lol)
“Not as lean, Not as mean, But still Marine Corps Green!”

I to would also just stop for fuel all at the same time messing with the can both putting it in and filling it up and storing it is gonna eat up as much time over two days as an extra fuel stop or two. I stopped in Qzona TX left me essentially a SS1000 for the second day(1070 Miles) the Quality Inn there is descent and close to the Highway. Don't cut the second say to short time wise I had a flat in Ft Stockton and and needed a tire the nearest one was in Odessa 80 miles away it ended up being a 6 hour delay start to finish and I hadn't left enough time in the schedule to make it up.
Good points, Stephen. Thanks.

When we rode as a group in a timed run before (6 bikes, one was two-up), the agreement was that if you broke down, the group would remain until the rider was in a safe area with help on the way. This ride will be the same.

So there was mention of starting with a BBG, which is 1,500 under 24 hours. I hadn’t thought of that, since I was just gonna split the ride and still be able to make a BunBurner into the second day. But what’s the general consensus of what an average time is for a BunBurner Gold, because then again I will need to adjust our start time to facilitate a reasonable Hotel checkin/checkout?

Thanks,

Ron Gettler

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
...which is 1,500 under 24 hours. I hadn’t thought of that, since I was just gonna split the ride and still be able to make a BunBurner into the second day. But what’s the general consensus of what an average time is for a BunBurner Gold, because then again I will need to adjust our start time to facilitate a reasonable Hotel checkin/checkout?
1524 miles in a bit over 22 hours is what it took me to do it. You're doing *nothing* more than riding and gassing the entire trek. I had eleven stops.

I've seen times up to 23:55 to do a BBG; it can vary widely. Aux fuel helps greatly.

Top,

A BBG is all about time management; maximizing moving time and minimizing stopped time. I see this as being particularly challenging with a group of your size. Still doable; but it has been my experience it can take a lot of the "fun" out of a ride. The only way I see it as working is if your group maybe split up in teams of maybe 2 with an agreed final stop destination.

Thanks Scott,

There will only be three of us on this ride, and we ride together a ton. Average Saturday fun-runs are usually just a bit over 200 miles, most of it on the twistiest roads we can find here in west-central Florida. And all three of us... well, we like to so fast (zoom-zoom). But nothing crazy, like the Sporties. We’re all on big cruisers,with one being built up to a 120, so his fuel mileage will be the deciding factor in our stops. I know everyone will try to adhere to your recommendation of maximizing mileage while minimizing down time. We rode a SS1000 in cold, dark rain through construction zones and there was no whining at all, so I have total faith they can keep up. My most recent SS1000 was 1,117/16 hr 55 min. I’m hoping that was a respectable time, and a pace we can maintain on this CC50.

I hope you know how much I appreciate your input. Thanks for your time and consideration. The points you bring up are very helpful.

Semper Fi,

Top G

1524 miles in a bit over 22 hours is what it took me to do it. You're doing *nothing* more than riding and gassing the entire trek. I had eleven stops.

I've seen times up to 23:55 to do a BBG; it can vary widely. Aux fuel helps greatly.
Thanks. That’s very helpful. But I am not familiar with the auxiliary fuel system you’re talking about. It’s more than just the 1-gallon bag-cans we will have, right?

Top,

Depending on mobile phone type; you can easily purchase a tracking app (Bubbler for Android and SW Connect for iOS - approx $10 dollars) and link with Spotwalla account.
Thanks Scott. So how do these programs work regarding certification of this ride? I see you can record trips for others to view, right? So then is there a way to submit some saved file to IBA that will verify our route/time/mileage? Because I can see how that would be advantageous.