CC50 Planning

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
Just to keep the thread alive.. :)

I have my gas stops planned but I will also have a lot more gas stops setup as POI's just in case. My current plan is to just do it in half's and take a nap in Junction, TX. Though if timing is right and if I feel good about it... I'll try for the BBG.

I hate time zones and trying to figure out how much time I have left etc., so I grabbed me a little 3 group timer. The top timer will keep track of my overall elapsed time, the middle timer is my 24hr count down incase I decide to go for the BBG, and the bottom timer is my 50hr countdown. Now I just need to make a plexiglass cover to keep the buttons from getting hit while this thing bounces around in my tour pack.

Last edited:

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dr.Tiki, just let me know if you want any of my info. I just did the ride last spring on my 15 FLHTK without Aux, so it would be pretty comparable, if your interested.

Just to keep the thread alive.. :)

I have my gas stops planned but I will also have a lot more gas stops setup as POI's just in case. My current plan is to just do it in half's and take a nap in Junction, TX. Though if timing is right and if I feel good about it... I'll try for the BBG.

I hate time zones and trying to figure out how much time I have left etc., so I grabbed me a little 3 group timer. The top timer will keep track of my overall elapsed time, the middle timer is my 24hr count down incase I decide to go for the BBG, and the bottom timer is my 50hr countdown. Now I just need to make a plexiglass cover to keep the buttons from getting hit while this thing bounces around in my tour pack.
Thanks Doc, good idea with the timer. Also with the backup plan with the BB vs BBG. We will try for the BBG, then back everything up from there should we not make the initial goal of the BBG.

So, what are you thinking for a departure time? Which I guess is all dependent is your going E-W, or W-E. We’ll be doing the E-W, J-Ville Beach to Ocean Beach, SD, so I was thinking on having a quiet day in a hotel, laying by the pool and taking a few hours of nap time before leaving around maybe 11:00pm EST. Hopefully that would put us into Van Horn around 8:00pm local time (9:00pm EST), shooting for 22 hr 1,500 mi. (Google maps shows around 21 hr 30 min of travel time). Traveling with the usual flow of traffic from my numerous trips across the majority of this route, which I find to be right at 80 mph, I expect our time gained vs. Google Maps estimate to most likely cover our fuel stops. Maybe even save a few minutes on each leg. And hopefully our departure time of 11:00pm will get us through Houston at a reasonable time to not hit the rush-hour parking lot. Not sure about that, though. May want to leave a little earlier??

Thanks for your input. Right now I’m thinking of adding a tow hitch to my RoadGlide so I can pull a small trailer for extra gear should a couple of the girls want to fly out to San Diego for the ride home via Rt-66. Not sure how the trailers effect fuel mileage? Any insight on that?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I backed into my plan for E to W this way:

Approach Houston by 11:00am local time, as the HOV lanes at that time are free to motorcycles between the AM rush and the PM rush.

Thus I left at ~1am local time out of Jax Bch. I was still a bit early.

I backed into my plan for E to W this way:

Approach Houston by 11:00am local time, as the HOV lanes at that time are free to motorcycles between the AM rush and the PM rush.

Thus I left at ~1am local time out of Jax Bch. I was still a bit early.
Thanks for your advice. I didn’t think/know about the HOV lanes.

However, we are planning a BBG, so that departure time might put us into Van Horn pretty late in the evening. Hence putting us into San Diego pretty late the following day.

So this leads me to the question, if we strapped our blow-up companions in the bitch seat, so you think we could run the HOV lanes with no problem?

AndyBlila

Premier Member
HOV lanes are always free to motorcycles, for the most part. I am from Houston and this is the case. From the Department of Transportation:

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

"Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk."

AndyBlila

Premier Member
Thanks Doc, good idea with the timer. Also with the backup plan with the BB vs BBG. We will try for the BBG, then back everything up from there should we not make the initial goal of the BBG.

So, what are you thinking for a departure time? Which I guess is all dependent is your going E-W, or W-E. We’ll be doing the E-W, J-Ville Beach to Ocean Beach, SD, so I was thinking on having a quiet day in a hotel, laying by the pool and taking a few hours of nap time before leaving around maybe 11:00pm EST. Hopefully that would put us into Van Horn around 8:00pm local time (9:00pm EST), shooting for 22 hr 1,500 mi. (Google maps shows around 21 hr 30 min of travel time). Traveling with the usual flow of traffic from my numerous trips across the majority of this route, which I find to be right at 80 mph, I expect our time gained vs. Google Maps estimate to most likely cover our fuel stops. Maybe even save a few minutes on each leg. And hopefully our departure time of 11:00pm will get us through Houston at a reasonable time to not hit the rush-hour parking lot. Not sure about that, though. May want to leave a little earlier??

Thanks for your input. Right now I’m thinking of adding a tow hitch to my RoadGlide so I can pull a small trailer for extra gear should a couple of the girls want to fly out to San Diego for the ride home via Rt-66. Not sure how the trailers effect fuel mileage? Any insight on that?
I left at 0400 JAX time and Houston was not a problem.

HOV lanes are always free to motorcycles, for the most part. I am from Houston and this is the case. From the Department of Transportation:

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

"Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk."
Thanks. Very nice of you to clue me into the law. I’m frequently in Houston visiting my brother who lives off of Gessner not far North of I-10.

HOV lanes ,as I learned from a CHiP, are not OK for motorcycles if you are towing a trailer. Evidently they frown on 70 in a 55 too...who knew?
That is interesting. Never thought of MC towing a trailer; but it seems right that they would be restricted to the towing speed limit in certain states - which here is 55. I see trikes and CanAm Spyders in the HOV lane. The only thing that ever bothered me about the trikes and spyders in the HOV lanes is that you actually are not required to have a motorcycle endorsement (at least here in Cali) for the three-wheeled vehicles; but apparently they are allowed in the HOV lanes?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That is interesting. Never thought of MC towing a trailer; but it seems right that they would be restricted to the towing speed limit in certain states - which here is 55.
Are there any other states with blanket 55 mph speed limits on ALL towing vehicles?

Are there any other states with blanket 55 mph speed limits on ALL towing vehicles?
I just finished a 49/10 and cannot recall which states; but many have a lower towing speed limit as well as a lower nighttime versus day limit. Seems California is probably the most restrictive - I think I recall a few states with 60 mph limits for trucks; but not specifically calling out towing - although I would think it applies. However, I have grown rather fond of California restricting large trucks to 55 and the far right 2 lanes. I find it disturbing when big rigs are traveling 75-80mph and jumping in the left lanes; especially when traffic is heavy and you cannot see around them.

RichmonS

Premier Member
I did my 100CCC in April and you have a good plan. I also stayed in Junction Tx to sleep which was exactly halfway. There is plenty of gas up to that point but, I would map out a few from Junction to El Paso just so you know your options.

I see mention of aux. fuel tanks. I've looked but cant find the total allowable capacity. One still needs to stop for a receipt every 300 miles, right? I think I've read 11.5 gallons or maybe it was 10 gallons? Is a DBR not more than 300 miles the rule or a strong suggestion?
REX

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I see mention of aux. fuel tanks. I've looked but cant find the total allowable capacity. One still needs to stop for a receipt every 300 miles, right? I think I've read 11.5 gallons or maybe it was 10 gallons? Is a DBR not more than 300 miles the rule or a strong suggestion?
REX
I'm pretty sure the maximum distance was increased to 350 miles. The limitation of auxillary tanks/extra fuel is only applicable to the Iron Butt Rally and a few others. For regular certified IBA rides and you are carrying extra fuel beyond the stock configuration of your bike; you need to let the Certification Team know so they can calculate your time and distances correctly. For example - you want to just carry a 1-2 gallon can on the bike; and you stop and add fuel to the bike from the can to extend your distance. 1st - the Cert team needs to know you have the fuel; and 2nd you would indicate on your log that you stopped and added fuel from the can.

Having greater fuel capacity would sure make things easier. As a newbie, I'm not yet dreaming of entering a rally. I DO have an ever growing list of rides I'd like to do however.
REX

RichmonS

Premier Member
You do not need an aux fuel tank to make the coast to coast. Having a gallon or two in case you miss a fuel stop would help with stress. I did mine with ~200 mile stops between fuel.