Central Tx SS

Wornout

Premier Member
Looking to do a SS 1000 starting in Waco down to San Antonio out I10 to I10/20 split then back to Ft Worth and down I35 to Waco. Anyone know if there are any fuel stops near the I10/20 split in Wext Texas?

Thanks

WIngriderRoy

Premier Member
Check out the 2017 BAT Rally route. It's a good route and plenty of gas options throughout. Similar to what you're planning but cuts the corner from Austin on 290 instead of going all the way down to SA and then north at Fort Stockton vs going all the way to the 10/20 intersection.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Chevron I normally stop at IS at 181. Where was this Kent Chevron you're speaking of?
I-10, exit 176 there is a "Kent Spur Road" - looking at it in Google Earth mode, there is a Chevron there. Listed as Ft. Davis, TX.

I've been to the stop in Sierra Blanca a couple of times now, which doesn't help the OP at all.

Wornout

Premier Member
Another question: My plan is to leave Waco head south on I35 then go around Austin on 130 then picking up I35 south of Austin. My first planned fuel stop in north of San Antonio where I35 and 1604 intersect. The 130 route is 11 miles longer but higher speed limit and less traffic. The total mileage comes to 1021 going 130 and 1010 through Austin on I35. Since I have no stops planned till after all this, will I get rejected due to the short cut possibility?

Thanks

Roadglider

Premier Member
Another question: My plan is to leave Waco head south on I35 then go around Austin on 130 then picking up I35 south of Austin. My first planned fuel stop in north of San Antonio where I35 and 1604 intersect. The 130 route is 11 miles longer but higher speed limit and less traffic. The total mileage comes to 1021 going 130 and 1010 through Austin on I35. Since I have no stops planned till after all this, will I get rejected due to the short cut possibility?

Thanks
Wornout, my recommendation would be to complete 1040 miles as a minimum and map it on Google maps to confirm distance.

My future rides will be planned for 1040 miles for SS1000 and 1560 miles for BB1500. I have been affected by weather on past rides that caused me to take unwanted short cuts. Zigzagging in an area may be difficult for the certifiers to follow your line of travel. Spotwalla and Bubbler GPS are great in proving your routes.

I have not been told, not to zig zag around for the extra mileage. Do what you need to. Good luck!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Since I have no stops planned till after all this, will I get rejected due to the short cut possibility?
I'm NOT a part of the cert team, but you need to think like them in ride planning.

Is there a way that you could cheat the distance in any way? If you think - even for a moment - that there could be that issue, then be certain (by getting a receipt) you have sufficient proof on the ride.

Roadglider's other comment is spot-on - do NOT plan any ride LD with less than a 3% cushion. Yes, even when mapping them with Google, Basecamp or anything else. Can you truly believe that a 1% excess (e.g. you're ten miles...) would be sufficient to grab that SS1000?

I mean, I'd hate to do the ride, you think it's one thing, and the cert team figures out there might be a short cut and that takes 14 miles off your ride - and you end up short.

The total mileage comes to 1021 going 130...
If this route is 'easier' to prove, I would ride it. A 21 mile cushion is still tight, but again, if easily proved, you have little to worry about.

Luck to ya!

Wornout

Premier Member
Thanks for all the help. Wound up riding up to Edmond, Ok. on May 25th. From Hewitt went down to Seguine then over to Pecos, back to Abilene then up to Edmond. 1116 miles, paperwork approved and certificate in hand. Looking forward to the next level.

Roadglider

Premier Member
Congrats to you, and welcome to the addiction. The summer soltice is only five days away. Now you can do a themed ride. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/fourseasons/
The summer Solstice coming up on 21 June will be my 3rd in a row, finishing up in Sept with the Fall Equinox. This year I am completing them as a Saddlesore. In a future year I may attempt them as BBG.