Clarification on the requirements for a Mile Eater Silver

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I could use a little clarification on the wording of something. From the IBA Mile Eater page:

"Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration"

The section on Mile Eater Bronze has additional wording:

"...GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation" (emphasis added).

My question is this - Does a 50CC Quest count as one of the 2 toward a Mile Eater Silver, regardless of the time it took you to actually do it?

The reason I'm asking is, a "50CC Quest" is, as the name implies, over 48 hours, but I completed mine in under 48 hours. So I'm looking for clarification so that I know whether or not I can count it toward one of my two "special" rides for a Mile Eater Silver.

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
The little motorcycles next the title of the rides in the database are color coded. The key to the colors are located at the bottom for your rides page. Some are longer than 48 hours such as the Ride Around Texas Gold.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 9.48.48 AM.png

Shawn K

Premier Member
Yes, I've seen that.

I'm asking if a 50CC Quest counts as one of the two "special" rides for a Mile Eater Silver, given that it's name fits the requirement of "...or greater than 48 hours in duration", but that my own certified run was slightly under 48 hours.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Let me put it a different way.

If I did the following certified rides in a 12-month period:

* SS1000 (x2)
* BB1500 (nested in another ride)
* BBG1500
* 50CC Quest (completed in 44:30)

Does that meet the requirements for a Mile Eater Silver?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree with ScottAL. Yes, the 50CC counts as for the Gold or Extreme, because it's over 48 hours. How long you took doesn't matter in regards to the classification of the ride as "extended".

And I also agree that the nested ride doesn't count toward ME status. Nested rides never have. You did one ride on Nov 15th 2021, the 50CC. You qualified for a second cert, the BB1500. For ME purposes, it's all about the number of rides you did, not the number of certs you got.

Good news though, you have plenty of time to knock out another SS1K. :) Didn't you just do a rally? Rally miles sometimes can be used for a cert ride. Especially if there was an odo check.

Shawn K

Premier Member
idn't you just do a rally? Rally miles sometimes can be used for a cert ride. Especially if there was an odo check.
Yes, I did the HoT in April, but I only did a little over 1200 miles in 36 hours. I didn't do enough miles in time to even file an SS1000.

Thanks for clarification on the 50CC. I have an SS1000 coming up in July, and since the nested BB1500 doesn't count, it looks like I need to plan on 2 more rides between now and November. Should be a lark. ;)

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rally miles sometimes can be used for a cert ride.
I feel like this gets a LOT easier with the new Spotwalla/self-cert options.. I've never bothered to try and get a rally ride certified since I'm pretzeling all over the map (and a waste of rally time trying to pull DBRs for corners..) but it gets a lot easier now.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I feel like this gets a LOT easier with the new Spotwalla/self-cert options.. I've never bothered to try and get a rally ride certified since I'm pretzeling all over the map (and a waste of rally time trying to pull DBRs for corners..) but it gets a lot easier now.
Here's the thing. If you did an ODO check prior to the start of the rally, the RALLY is certifying your mileage and you don't need any receipts or pictures or anything else other than the RM saying you did the miles. You just submit the cert request and say "Ridden during XXX rally".

Now, this is easier on the RM if it was a 24 hour rally and obviously gets stickier if it was a shotgun start, rather than start/finish at Rally HQ.

I have several SS1Ks from rallies like the 1088, LOE, etc.

Vlad

Premier Member
Mile Eater Silver awards must be completed in a 12 consecutive month time frame to qualify regardless of the way you choose to do it. All other Mile Eater awards can be done over multiple years. This is what the time frame in the bronze Mile Eater refers too.
Your 50cc qualifies as one of two because it is a Gold level ride, as would any IBA ride in excess of 48 hours or any insanity level ride. The rides them selves have only to meet the IBA ride rules for the ride in question.
Silver can also be obtained by completing at least one ride per month for twelve months in a row with no requirement for the harder rides, I found this to be the more difficult of the two.
Nested rides do not count towards Mile Eater awards, they want you to ride your bike more.

Good luck

I made an assumption that your 50cc is a Gold level ride Shawn, they are over here.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I could use a little clarification on the wording of something. From the IBA Mile Eater page:

"Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration"

The section on Mile Eater Bronze has additional wording:

"...GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation" (emphasis added).

My question is this - Does a 50CC Quest count as one of the 2 toward a Mile Eater Silver, regardless of the time it took you to actually do it?

The reason I'm asking is, a "50CC Quest" is, as the name implies, over 48 hours, but I completed mine in under 48 hours. So I'm looking for clarification so that I know whether or not I can count it toward one of my two "special" rides for a Mile Eater Silver.
When we say "a ride greater than 48 hours," we are talking about the time limit, not the amount of time it actually took you to complete the ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association