Coast to coast in the States.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Link to more detailed article below. I have read previously and think it has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. In my opinion - whatever gets you out of bed in the morning. However, I just completed a coast-to-coast-coast ride in 88 hours with the outward leg taking 39 hours to complete without "dozens of safety teams spread out along the route" as well as keeping my speed within acceptable legal limits (generally less than 5 over posted). I also managed to complete both legs on the same set of tires. Not sure what brand he is was running; but according to the article - he had to stop with less than 300 miles remaining of a 2900 mile ride and replace a bald rear tire? The first time I read the report I got a laugh from the spin class training; however, after spending a number of hours on a new BMW seat - my bottom was on fire; so maybe the spin class is not a bad idea? Can't wait to read the details of his RV record breaking attempt. :)

https://www.wired.com/2016/02/how-to-race-a-motorcycle-across-the-us-in-a-record-39-hours-straight/

Scott

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice ride and all, but...

Did this ride conform to the IBA requirements?

I'm not seeing his name in the ride finishers list.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Nice ride and all, but...

Did this ride conform to the IBA requirements?

I'm not seeing his name in the ride finishers list.
Ken,

I believe his intent was to set a record and not seek an IBA certification. I'm not sure how he documented the start or ride along the way - it only mentions having a notary and witnesses present at the end (along with media). Besides, we do not endorse riding at speeds which burn through rear tires in two thousand miles... :)

Scott

Tele

Premier Member
"motorcycle endurance racing" ....... not something I think the IBA would wish to be associated with. I accept that was the author's comment and not necessarily that of the rider. However, when you have scouts up ahead looking for the police .......:rolleyes:

Rusjel

Premier Member
Yep, you don't need IBA sanction or approval to achieve something in long distance riding and good on him.

I value the integrity of the IBA framework, but it's not like it's the only game in town, just the most rigorous.