Combining Rides?

Greetings, first time posting here.

I've been riding for a couple decades, everything from 50cc to 1500cc.

I've completed 1 Saddlesore 1000 on a 600cc sportbike and just completed the Ride Around Virginia earlier this month on the same bike.

I've been considering trying my hand the Scooter 1000 Gold with an 86 Honda Elite 250.

My question is, if I wanted to do the Florida Keys 1000 while aboard this 250cc, would that count as 2?

Would doing it once count for 2?

Would there need to be 2 payments made?

Just wondering how that works...

Thanks,

A.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
An interesting question. I did a Natchez Trace 1000 and also received a Scooter 1000 Gold cert, (Honda ADV150), but I was the first one to do the NT1000, so I'm not sure if that's standard. It's not quite the same as nested ride rules, since you are by default completing one if you completed the other. These two rides are of the same duration.

@Ira Can probably give a ruling on this. I suspect since you are completing the Florida Keys 1000, and increasing the difficulty by doing a Scooter 1000 Gold at the same time, it would be acceptable and you would pay an additional fee, similar to nested ride fees, if you wanted both certs.

However, like Nested rides, this would only count as one ride towards Mile Eater status levels. You could pick it for one of the Gold level rides.

I just looked up what "nested ride" meant I wasn't sure what you are talking about. Hopefully Ira can shed some light on the situation. What was the max speed on the Honda 150? I just topped out an 85 Elite 150 and struggles to do much over 60 on flat road with about 10k miles on it. In a roll-on race against a 150 Vespa LX it was stronger out the gate than the Vespa but once momentum built they were both about even. We didn't run the Vespa long enough to see if hit had a higher top speed but at a given distance both hit 45 mph. The extra 10ish mph going to the 250 seems to make a big difference in doing an Iron Butt.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The Honda ADV150 tops out at 64, but that's down hill. Flat ground you can usually do 60-62 at sea level, but 55-60 is mostly the norm until you get to hills. It was a 22 hour SS1K ride for me. Doing the Scooter Cannonball Run, (SCBR), I was down to 35 or less on some of the hills at altitude. Went over 10k feet crossing the continental divide and over 7k feet dozens of times doing that ride.

Cool man. Only other Honda 150 scooter I rode aside from the Elite was a newer one, fuel injected but seemed about done at 55 mph. PCX I think. I imagine in the grand scheme of things they keep the performance indexes about the same regardless of fi vs carb, drum vs disk, etc.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
An interesting question. I did a Natchez Trace 1000 and also received a Scooter 1000 Gold cert, (Honda ADV150), but I was the first one to do the NT1000, so I'm not sure if that's standard. It's not quite the same as nested ride rules, since you are by default completing one if you completed the other. These two rides are of the same duration.
So my take on it would be they are perfectly nested. :)

I would say request both when you submit and let Mike and the verification team sort it out. Worst case, they will only certify one. Include a note indicating you would like both, but tell them your preference if only one is issued.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thank you for clarifying that. Looking forward to making the effort. I'm currently getting a backup Elite ready. Its a little smaller at 150cc. Has done a best of 58 mph on GPS so may be a little tapped out on the longer straights of the bridges in the Keys...

Thanks again.

A.

danklyrides

Premier Member
I did a Scooter 1K Gold about a month ago on my 2019 PCX 150. I could hold 62-63 on flat ground and the scoot is electrically limited to 68, even downhill. My ride ended up being 1,070 miles and took me 23:16. I was cutting it close, but had enough wiggle room to stop and change a flat tire for a lady in the 22nd hour. LD on the scooter is pretty fun! Using that ride for the single cylinder in my quest for a Piston Diversity Insanity.

Good luck in the Keys!
Dankly

Impressive. I think the 150 really ends up being a "skin of my teeth" kinda thing in terms of its performance index and completing an Iron Butt. Went to replace the rear tire (which means pulling the muffler off) and noticed one of the 2 right motor mounts is cracked off....so motor is coming out to have a buddy weld it up. Guess I'm deep in it. Riding the 250 though is head and shoulders the better vehicle for 55 mph riding. Just last night I was able to pass some of the cars with relative ease (55 zone).

In terms of wind protection I practiced on a closed off road a few different tucks and if I slide back AND put my head down, as in not look up above the gauges but look down thru the floorboard to the left or right the wind calmed down dramatically. Completely smooth over my back. I would be willing to bet the amount of drag reduced would get the 250 to run MPG similar to the 150. But you kinda gotta look where you're doing hah.

I'll likely take both with me....A for a backup and B I have a buddy who's nuts enough to try the Iron Butt as well.