Comments - Australian Specific Rides

tj189

Premier Member
TJ,
Because the list is not comprehensive on the IBA site, should we list all the kilometre based rides on the Australian list. For example, the SS5000k in 72 hours or the SS4000k Gold in 48 hours.
Peter, I believe the ride list is very comprehensive on the IBA site. The Km based SS rides can be done the world over so do not fit in the the Australian Specific Rides list.

Here is a link http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/

Reader57

That's perfect! Was the "big List" on the old webpage? If so then I always just took a girlie look because I could never find it. I bet the Mileeater page is just as easy to find. :(

Philmor

Premier Member
Not wanting to add any confusion and this may not be the correct spot ... but I located some ride rule information which helped me.

This one related to the 50cc which I eventually "got to" from the 50cc Gold in Australian Rides on the Big List.
http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/50cc2/

100cc rides
I am not sure how I found this but it does refer to a 100ccc as back to back 50cc rides and explains about receipt requirements for each leg and that time left over from a previous leg in a back-to-back series may not be used to lengthen the time allowed for successive legs in the series.
Good stuff to know if you are doing a 100cc or more.

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/50cc3/

Also some comments by Ira explaining that the IBA will not issue a certificate for a 50cc done as part of a 100cc.

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/100ccc-quest-questions.877/#post-10853

TJ
Please shift or delete if the above are not in the correct place or are irrelevant. o_O

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
100cc rides
I am not sure how I found this but it does refer to a 100ccc as back to back 50cc rides and explains about receipt requirements for each leg and that time left over from a previous leg in a back-to-back series may not be used to lengthen the time allowed for successive legs in the series.
Good stuff to know if you are doing a 100cc or more.

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/50cc3/

o_O
To keep the thread flowing, here is a quote from the link Philmor posted regarding the 100CCC:

"On each leg, you must obtain a starting receipt AND an ending receipt.

2. Time left over from a previous leg in a back-to-back series may not be used to lengthen the time allowed for successive legs in the series. The clock for consecutive legs in a back-to-back series must be started exactly on or before the maximum time has expired for the previous leg in the back-to-back series.

Under rule 2 there are two options for handling the midpoint between consecutive legs. In one case a rider may use the ending time of the first leg as the starting time of the second leg. A rider who chooses this option will be sacrificing any remaining time of the first leg. This valuable time could have been used for much needed rest.

The suggested method of handling the midpoint between consecutive legs is to use any remaining time on the first leg for rest. A rider may even rest beyond the maximum time allowed for the first leg. Remember, the TOTAL ride must be completed in no more than the total time calculated by adding the time allowed for each independent leg in the series.
"

My understanding, using the example of a 100CCC attempt where the rider reaches the midpoint coast in eg 47 hours and decides to rest.
- Upon reaching the coast get a servo receipt to log the rest stop.(47:00hr)
- Sleep in a nearby hotel.
- While asleep, the clock ended for the 50CC at 49:59hr, and started for the return leg.
- Wake up and be at the same servo get a receipt to log the end of the rest stop and be ready to ride at 53:00hr, 3:00hrs having already elapsed for the return leg.

Witness forms will need to be signed somewhere in the six hours between arriving at the coast and leaving the coast.eg servo, hotel, or servo.

Coldcomfort

TJ, I don't recall either Roland or Brian writing up a complete ride report, although there were snippets of the story in a few FarRider forum threads with names like the "Troppo b2b" (beach to beach).

Planned to leave 14:00 hrs from Roebuck Bay, delayed in 3 Ways by some event, made it to Bowen with 23 minutes to spare.... that kind of thing. It would be good to read a ride report.

The B2B stood for Broome 2 Bundy. But as luck would have it Bowen starts with a B as well... :)

Coldcomfort

Feels great to finally get it again thanks for your assistance in seeing this ride recognised. Now to get CC to submit his paper work also. Sorry no ride report of the run but I cannot find it at home believe it died with the last computer and the FarRiders site report seems to have gone missing.

So come on CC stop playing with the plane and put your paper work in.
Will post the certificate when I can, I am operating from an iPad on my train ride home from work at the moment.

I noticed that you never mentioned the strippers and the swimming pool at Broome.....

Vlad

Premier Member
That is my understanding of the 100ccc rules as well Peter and exactly what I did on the recent attempt. The rule around a witness form in the middle still seems a little ambiguous tho. There was a post stating that a witness form appropriately signed would suffice as proof of the Finnish of the first leg and that the second leg would start automatically at 50 hrs and 1 sec, you wld also need a receipt to prove that you were still in the location at commencement of the second 50 hrs.
That appears to have been replaced by the current one.

gus

100CC rules
Version No. 2.1
Date last revised: January 7, 2017.
I was unaware of this revision but makes sense now.
good to be better informed for helping riders at the mid-point of their rides

Scarp

Premier Member
I see that in the USA there are numerous rides specific to certain regions & I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce new rides similar in format to the Memorial rides in Australia. I was thinking of an IBA Border Run ride that would be a minimum SS1600 & a docket showing that you were at the SA/WA Border on the 1st Saturday in August (0001 / 2359 local time) , also an Australia Day ride once again min SS1600 that starts or finishes on Jan26.
One other I have wanted to do is a Hutt River Provence ride which takes in the only foreign country within Australia Hutt River WA, so I guess my question is what is the process to start some new Australia specific themed rides?

Farkleit

Premier Member
I see that in the USA there are numerous rides specific to certain regions & I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce new rides similar in format to the Memorial rides in Australia. I was thinking of an IBA Border Run ride that would be a minimum SS1600 & a docket showing that you were at the SA/WA Border on the 1st Saturday in August (0001 / 2359 local time) , also an Australia Day ride once again min SS1600 that starts or finishes on Jan26.
One other I have wanted to do is a Hutt River Provence ride which takes in the only foreign country within Australia Hutt River WA, so I guess my question is what is the process to start some new Australia specific themed rides?
why is it everyone wants to have a name specific for a ride.
There are plenty of Australian Specific Rides that can be attempted and completed.
Trans Australia. Southern Cross. 50 and 100cc in two directions.
and then there is every capitol city with a photo ( can't recall the name ) however Ox and Rob have both completed that challenge.
or you can just go ride your route you like. submit for approval and then once approved. Propose it to be considered as an Australian Specific Ride. and allow people to comment after its been proven.

tj189

Premier Member
G'day Scarp,
I do not see IBA Australia attaching itself to the Border Run, as this has its own history. There is at least one other riding group that has done this at the moment and good on them. The history is a special one started between two mates and a pudding which has continued since 1977....it is good to see that history continue and should more than likely be left as it is.
Should wish to do any IBA ride (like your Hutt River tourist attraction) and think that it may be worthwhile to add to the Australia Specific Rides list then as Farkleit mentioned above do the ride submit it for verification and put forward your justification for the IBA Australia Management Team to consider.

enjoy your rides mate

Rusjel

Premier Member
When I look at the plethora of rides available in the states I am grateful that our list is a bit more modest. We could probably even trim a few more.

Thanks for your response to the Border Run question. Even Farriders acknowledges the special status of the meeting. Nothing wrong with doing an IBA run as part of the run, in fact I've done that a few times myself, might even submit the paperwork someday.

But the meeting is the meeting, it is special in the folklore of Australian Distance Riding and bigger in its own way than any of the distance riding associations. Let it be.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rus I just had a look at the list (link here so that we don't have to keep searching for it all the time http://www.ibaaustralia.com/australian-specific-rides/)
So we have:
- The Lap
- A couple of Trans Oz
- A couple of Southern Cross
- A couple of Centrelines
- 5 miscellaneous theme rides: ANZAC, Power to the People, States Twist, Commonwealth Star and ACT Insanity
- 10 in the 50CC/100CCC style (including the Tas/Darwin and West End Gold)
- A half a dozen (!!!!!!) Lighthouse Challenges

I can understand it if you'd like the list trimmed. Not every ride needs a name as Farkleit rightly says. Many interesting rides get named in the ride report but really are just riders mucking about and hitting well established kilometre/time marks ( eg Ya Big Chicken)

A while back I rode a 3000km ride stitching up the top ten towns in Oz. The requirements even have their own URL (http://ironbutt.com/themerides/toptentowns/) but that particular ride is not on the Australia Specific list.

Rusjel

Premier Member
I think you demonstrate my point beautifully Pete, allowing riders to name their own rides means that within the parameters of the available rides you can customise, like your "big chicken" ride.

Personally I'd like to do an SS1600 encompassing all the Murray river ferry crossings between SA and Victoria, once I figure out a way to verify that I undertook all the crossings. But I'm happy for my customised run to sit within the parameters of an SS1600, just like your "big chicken run".

So if we leave the meeting alone, riders have the flexibility to include it in a multiple of IBA rides, thus respecting the integrity of the meeting and giving them more flexibility in celebrating it.

Looking at your list above, it looks like plenty, with the ability to customise. A couple of 'special' rides like the heaven the hell and that's plenty. Let's not go down the Yanks road with a,bewildering array of rides. Or at least, let team IBA Oz give careful consideration to each new ride we add so they really mean something to a wide variety of people in our pursuit.