Comments - Australian Specific Rides

Reader57

A bit of local knowledge please? What is at New Mexico, NSW as I was thinking of adding that to a States with a Twist plan? It is just west of Manilla, NSW

Cheers,

Biggles

Premier Member
I lived in Barraba back in the 70s and the hills you see in the Google streetview were used for hang gliding competitions.
That's about all I can think of that's significant, apart from being prime grazing country.

hagar

Premier Member
A bit of local knowledge please? What is at New Mexico, NSW as I was thinking of adding that to a States with a Twist plan? It is just west of Manilla, NSW

Cheers,
If you find another one, best of luck. There is a Virginia in SA, but that is named after a place in Ireland. Let me know your computer progres, or your ride progress.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was looking at the States with a Twist....
The one tank distance between the two towns is weird, as most IBA rides of similar style use towns or features a SS distance apart. Like the US-based Heaven to Hell ride.
I get it though, the rider needs to add lots more distance either before the first town, between the two towns or after the second town. Or a combination of extra legs.

With dozens of (make that hundreds) of combinations of rides am I correct in thinking that one of the grander plans may be to leave Perth, pass through SA, Victoria and both NSW and QLD in a SS4000K Gold distance for "7 States with a Twist". Is that how this ride works?

Oh, and is there a reason why Wyoming in NSW was omitted?

hagar

Premier Member
Well there you go, Wyoming in NSW, never found that place in my search for the ride. Now someone can go there, get a docket and " Eight States etc etc" has been born.

Ox, I never put that much thought into the ride, it was only ever going to be a fun thing. This the best answer I can offer for the other questions you have.
I did think and still do, that simply visiting Eucla in WA and getting that important docket, would suffice in getting all mainland states.

Thus far, the IBA is happy and that makes me happy.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With ANZAC day approaching I was hoping to have a question answered in regards to the rules of the ride.
I was hoping to stop at the ANZAC dawn service during the ride but when I read the rules it implies that the ride must start or stop at the dawn service.
Also what documentation would you need from the dawn service?
Thamks for your help

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ummmm. Reading comprehension anomaly noted.

The rules don't state that the MUST commence or conclude AT a dawn service at all.

The ride MAY do either of those, or neither.

I quote here the relevant sections from Alan's rules as per Karl's link above:

"to be started or concluded, before or after an ANZAC Day Dawn Service.............and the dates available take in the 24th, 25th and the 26th of April........... The ride can start and finish wherever one wishes ".

Jeff from your original post can I assume that you were intending to get up very early, start your ride at one location, visit a Dawn Service along the way at another location, continue riding and conclude at the final location? If I am correct in that assumption then you will have both started before a dawn service and ended after a dawn service, so the ride will be fine.
It may be hours and hours before the service or hours and hours after the service as no interim time period is stated in the rules. Continuing on from that it would seem that even departing on the 24th at lunch time, riding some of the night, visiting a dawn service and concluding at lunchtime 25th would be fine.

The spirit of the ride seems to be the attendance at a dawn service at some time during the ride. Plus the spelling of course.

If, however, the true intent of the ride rules is that a dawn service MUST either signal the start or sound the finish then the rules need to be rewritten to reflect that.

tj189

Premier Member
Jeffery, thanks for the question, I am seeking further clarification on the requirements and will get back with a response shortly.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jeff from your original post can I assume that you were intending to get up very early, start your ride at one location, visit a Dawn Service along the way at another location, continue riding and conclude at the final location? If I am correct in that assumption then you will have both started before a dawn service and ended after a dawn service, so the ride will be fine.
My plan for the ride was to start my ride from the Adelaide Hills at approximately 01:00 and continue to Robe in the states southeast (369km.). I was hoping then to attend the dawn service in Robe. My good mate who is a Vietnam Vet is giving the speech that morning and was hoping that I would be in attendance. After the service with my early start the plan was to have coffee with him before setting off to complete the remaining 1250 km and visiting the towns in the correct order to spell ANZAC.

I read the rules the same as you Peter and was just looking for some clarification from others.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from tj189 to clarify the rules of this ride.

hagar

Premier Member
Gentlemen, the rulles regarding the ANZAC Day Ride obviously needs clarification and an upgrade.
Jeff, the rules are quite specific, in that you must either start "after attending an ANZAC Day Dawn Service, get proof as per normal", or "finish before the commencement of an ANZAC Day Dawn Service and get proof as per normal IBA requirements", meaning, distance ridden and time spent doing so. In addition, during your ride you must find locations that spell ANZAC and get the required proof that you were there.
So for your specific ride, wanting to finish in Robe, all you need to do is to leave your home in Lobethal in good time, so you can get there in time before the start of the Dawn Service (remember to get the exact starting time of the service as this may vary from town to town), having ridden no less than 1610km in less than twentyfour hours, find locations, get proof by any means you can and are acceptable to the IBA. I will tidy this up over the next few days and advice Howard Entman to affect the changes. If either your self or Ox have further questions or suggestions, please post here.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Obviously, one can start or finish anywhere there is a Dawn Service.

Last edited: