Comments - Australian Specific Rides

tj189

Premier Member
Glad I did my ANZAC day ride before it became official with rules...:p :D lol!!!
Great to see you rode on an ANZAC Day, a very special day for us Australian and New Zealanders. Your ride did have rules (the SS1600k ones) now you have the opportunity to complete the ANZAC Day Ride;)

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gentlemen, the rulles regarding the ANZAC Day Ride obviously needs clarification and an upgrade.
Jeff, the rules are quite specific, in that you must either start "after attending an ANZAC Day Dawn Service, get proof as per normal", or "finish before the commencement of an ANZAC Day Dawn Service and get proof as per normal IBA requirements", meaning, distance ridden and time spent doing so. In addition, during your ride you must find locations that spell ANZAC and get the required proof that you were there.
So for your specific ride, wanting to finish in Robe, all you need to do is to leave your home in Lobethal in good time, so you can get there in time before the start of the Dawn Service (remember to get the exact starting time of the service as this may vary from town to town), having ridden no less than 1610km in less than twentyfour hours, find locations, get proof by any means you can and are acceptable to the IBA. I will tidy this up over the next few days and advice Howard Entman to affect the changes. If either your self or Ox have further questions or suggestions, please post here.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Obviously, one can start or finish anywhere there is a Dawn Service.
The rules at http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/anzacride are specifically NOT written like that.
It has been said that at the extremes of this sport reading comprehension becomes very important.

I understand that the author of the rules needs to now correct an error in the rules as they currently stand. Perhaps a rationale may be presented as to why attending a dawn service in the middle of the ride now appears to be specifically excluded from the rules when clearly it is the attendance at a service that anchors the ride in spirit?

Hagar I do have a suggestion. Two actually.

1) I think that some clear thinking needs to be done before the rules are written for these things. Take a bit more care with the writing to remove ambiguity.
2) Save quotation marks for when you are quoting. They are not just dangly things used to emphasise a point. Especially when you are actually misquoting your own rules inside those dangly things.

Jeff , I gave my opinion on your plan in post #3 above in good faith. I apologise for what will be seen as incorrect advice once the rules are altered.

I'm glad that you will at least have some time to modify your ride to fit with the altered rules. Good luck with the ride.

For reference, here are the rules from the above link as they stand today:

ANZAC Day Dawn Services are held in countries other than Australia and New Zealand.
I attended an ANZAC Day Dawn Service in Damascus some years ago. I don't recommend going there this year.
Perhaps the Australian Embassy in Washington organises one every year. If so, why not allow this ride to be undertaken in the US?

tj189

Premier Member
ANZAC Day Dawn Services are held in countries other than Australia and New Zealand.
I attended an ANZAC Day Dawn Service in Damascus some years ago. I don't recommend going there this year.
Perhaps the Australian Embassy in Washington organises one every year. If so, why not allow this ride to be undertaken in the US?
This is an Australian Specific Ride, the rules require the ride to be done in Australia or New Zealand, should a rider wish to complete a ride in the US and visit the Australian Embassy then that would be fantastic but it would not be recognised under this ride.

I have no issue with this being an Australian or New Zealand only ride.
My coment was to do with the exclusive reason given for this restriction. The ride can only be done in Australia or New Zealand for the very reason that it must be started or concluded before or after an ANZAC Day Dawn Service.
Do we even need a reason to declare it to be an Australian or New Zealand only ride?

tj189

Premier Member
I have no issue with this being an Australian or New Zealand only ride.
My coment was to do with the exclusive reason given for this restriction. The ride can only be done in Australia or New Zealand for the very reason that it must be started or concluded before or after an ANZAC Day Dawn Service.
Do we even need a reason to declare it to be an Australian or New Zealand only ride?
Is there any reason it should not be?
This ride fits in with a number of other rides that can only be completed in Australia and in this specific case New Zealand. Is there an issue with it only being able to be ridden here or NZ?

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Is there any reason it should not be?
This ride fits in with a number of other rides that can only be completed in Australia and in this specific case New Zealand. Is there an issue with it only being able to be ridden here or NZ?
There is an Anzac Dawn Service in Gallipoli every year, would you want to exclude that? Just asking.

tj189

Premier Member
There is an Anzac Dawn Service in Gallipoli every year, would you want to exclude that? Just asking.
Good grief !!

No one is suggesting anything like that.

Should anyone wish to ride to an ANZAC service on ANZAC Day anywhere in the world then that is fantastic, submit an application to the IBA if you have completed an IBA ride, should you wish to do so. If you wish to complete the IBA ride listed as The ANZAC Day Ride then you need to do so in accordance with the appropriate requirements.

I've just been checking out the Australian specific IBA rides ...

Did I miss seeing the regular CC50 ... Newcastle or nothing south of Sydney (Coogee) beaches to Perth (WA) beaches via Port Augusta???

tj189

Premier Member

Did I miss seeing the regular CC50 ... Newcastle or nothing south of Sydney (Coogee) beaches to Perth (WA) beaches via Port Augusta???
Not sure I have quiet got what you mean. I know you mean 50CC, I am not sure those riders who have completed a 50CC would refer to it as a regular 50CC. Are you referring to a 50CC being completed south of Sydney?
The 50CC Gold is between Sydney and Brisbane to Perth(Freemantle).

I've been of the understanding that CC50 was Sydney (Newcastle) to Perth (WA) and Melbourne to Darwin. CC50 Gold was Brisbane to Perth ... I could well be wrong.
There are several guys doing the Sydney to Perth ride at the moment (Skidoo and others) and (maybe for brevity??) they have called it a 50CC ... no gold. Just asking.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

You may have been looking for a CC50 but the ride is called a 50CC.....

You've just missed seeing it in the list (this cut and paste is from http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/australian-specific-rides.11/ ):

Australia 50cc (Melbourne to Darwin under 50 hours)

Australia 50cc GOLD (Sydney/Brisbane to Perth (Fremantle) under 50 hours)

Western Australia 50cc GOLD ( Esperance Western Australia to Wyndham Western Australia under 50 hours)

Australia 50cc GOLD (Perth to Port Augusta to Darwin under 50 hours)

Australia 100ccc Insanity (South Coast to North Coast to South Coast in less than 100 hours!)

Australia 100ccc Insanity GOLD (West Coast to East Coast to West Coast in less than 100 hours!)

Australia Crooked 100cccccc (Pacific Ocean to the Southern Ocean to the Timor Sea returning to the Southern Ocean to the Pacific Ocean in less than 100 hours!)

Australia Crooked 50cc GOLD (Newcastle, Port Augusta, Darwin)

Eliot the east/west Australia 50CC is called the 50CC GOLD. West is Perth (Scarborough, Cottesloe, Coogee and Fremantle have been used so far) and east is effectively anywhere from Sydney north (Coogee, Newcastle, Coffs Harbour and Brisbane have been used so far).

The south/north (Melbourne to Darwin) is not a gold level ride.

tj189

Premier Member
I've been of the understanding that CC50 was Sydney (Newcastle) to Perth (WA) and Melbourne to Darwin. CC50 Gold was Brisbane to Perth ... I could well be wrong.
There are several guys doing the Sydney to Perth ride at the moment (Skidoo and others) and (maybe for brevity??) they have called it a 50CC ... no gold. Just asking.
You are right, your understanding was wrong as is calling it a CC50 or CC50 Gold. The four riders are attempting a 50CC Gold and you are right again in their calling it a 50CC for brevity.
You will also notice a Western Australia 50CC Gold from Esperance to Wyndham.
At this stage there is only one 50CC ride listed in Australia and as Peter mentioned it is from Melbourne to Darwin

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. I'll have get Mr Alzheimer's affliction to go away (and maybe my eyesight tested again) and try and remember this ... just might come in handy knowing this info.

tj189

Premier Member
Updated the Australian Specific Rides List with a link to the requirements for the Australia Southern Cross and Australian Southern Cross Insanity

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi All , Just to add the note about the Coast to Coast calcification that may help some riders...

It's down to the km/miles that warrants the ride to be a standard 50CC or a 50CC gold..

Example. the WA coast to coast.... has both.

If you do the Coast road Esperance, Perth, Canavion to Wyndham the km/mileage is a gold version. 50CC Gold
If you cut through Newman to Wyndham it's a Standard 50CC.

When registering the WA ride we took the long route to show it could be done within the time period with time to rest.
Unfortunately I never had a chance to do the standard version to put in on the books, but was submitted to MK for a ride classification.

Perth, Port Augusta to Darwin is well over the Gold version km/Miles and is still waiting for an Insanity tag for it but believe this is on the bottom of the list of things to look at from MK

tj189

Premier Member
Hi All , Just to add the note about the Coast to Coast calcification that may help some riders...

It's down to the km/miles that warrants the ride to be a standard 50CC or a 50CC gold..
Not sure that is quiet right, I would agree that the distance is a is a major consideration, however, I believe that the verification team and Mike would take a number of factors into consideration as well.

Example. the WA coast to coast.... has both.
We have the 50CC GOLD <50Hrs and the WA End to End Challenge <48Hrs, both established thanks to you and both fantastic rides.

If you do the Coast road Esperance, Perth, Canavion to Wyndham the km/mileage is a gold version. 50CC Gold
If you cut through Newman to Wyndham it's a Standard 50CC.

When registering the WA ride we took the long route to show it could be done within the time period with time to rest.
Unfortunately I never had a chance to do the standard version to put in on the books, but was submitted to MK for a ride classification.
Never any guarantees for a ride classification until the ride has been ridden and verified.

Perth, Port Augusta to Darwin is well over the Gold version km/Miles and is still waiting for an Insanity tag for it but believe this is on the bottom of the list of things to look at from MK
Has been verified as a 50CC GOLD
G'day Ziggy

tj189

Premier Member
My plan for the ride was to start my ride from the Adelaide Hills at approximately 01:00 and continue to Robe in the states southeast (369km.). I was hoping then to attend the dawn service in Robe. My good mate who is a Vietnam Vet is giving the speech that morning and was hoping that I would be in attendance. After the service with my early start the plan was to have coffee with him before setting off to complete the remaining 1250 km and visiting the towns in the correct order to spell ANZAC.

I read the rules the same as you Peter and was just looking for some clarification from others.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from tj189 to clarify the rules of this ride.
Jeffrey, the requirements for the ride, which include a clarification of the attendance at a ANZAC Day Dawn Service, has been updated. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/anzacride/