Completed SS100 & BB1500, but will it qualify

Lanval

IBA Member
Hey everyone.

Saturday I started a SS1000 & BB1500 down I65 to Mobile AL at 04:17 12/07/2019, then across I10 to West Orange, TX. Here is a Spotwalla link. And Google Maps.

What an experience with gas receipts. I called into a Loves where I thought a 24 hour gas station would be an easy time and date stamp, WRONG. It just so happened not once but twice that they have prepay after a certain time, and the receipt does not have a time date that you get from the clerk. I have attached the invoice for any experts out there to point out my mistake. Fortunately I got another receipt up the road which shows 03:37am time stamp on the picture in Spotwella, but a 04:04 time on the receipt, even the credit card timestamp on the receipt is the wrong time, but it does have a timestamp before the 24 hour deadline for the SS1000, although I'm 1293 miles into the ride.

I started 12/07/2019 @ 04:17, finished the ride 12/08/2019 @ 08:54, a time difference of 28:37 for a distance of 1539 on google maps. I guess it might be possible to qualify for a BB1500, but not a SS1000, although I would have to complete the last 539 miles in 04:37 hours which is about 116MPH.

Moral of the story is be careful about the time stamps.

The picture on Spotwella has a date of the picture, but not sure if that is proof, also not sure if the Spotwella is proof enough

Attachments

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
You first and last ride receipts are the critical ones. You ride log should also show the correct time and where you can point out any discrepancies.

Ultimately, it will be up to the verification team to make the call. We do, of course, take into account all of your documentation. If there is general agreement among the receipts, Spotwalla track, and any other documentation you submit, there should not be a problem.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Lanval

IBA Member
If there is a time stamp on the picture with corresponding date on the recipt would that count?
I wondered that myself.

I'm hoping that the Spotwalla will collaborate my location as a trusted Source, along with the pictures of receipts and odometer reading will be good enough.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Couldn't you have returned to the clerk after pumping the gas and get another receipt with a time stamp ?
What Ira wrote... ;)

The old "time, date, location" thing on a receipt is second-nature...yet there's times when it's not. Even though I have that very statement on my checklist of things to do.

I'm fortunate that on the multi-purpose screen of the Goldwing, there's a clock that's always displayed.

Most of my omissions I have found while collecting the receipts (or the photos of them...) for submission to cert the ride.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Why take a chance ? Walk back in and get a receipt with a time stamp. Why rely on the verification team to make the call when you can eliminate a potential problem during the ride ?

Lanval

IBA Member
Hi @JAVGuzzi

It was a prepay pump at the time of night I pumped gas, so I went in and prepaid and was given the receipt shown above. When I realised there was no time stamp I went back and asked if there was an alternative receipt, but that was the only receipt they could offer.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi @JAVGuzzi

It was a prepay pump at the time of night I pumped gas, so I went in and prepaid and was given the receipt shown above. When I realised there was no time stamp I went back and asked if there was an alternative receipt, but that was the only receipt they could offer.
Lots of gas stations also have ATMs. Even a balance check receipt should have a date/time stamp...

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Hi @JAVGuzzi

Interesting - I have been in the same situation, but have always been able to get a proper receipt after going back in, after pumping. Maybe the clerk didn't know what he/she was doing, was in a bad mood, or just lazy, or whatever.

Getting an ATM receipt is a great idea. A few years ago I organized a SS1K that started in Michigan's lower peninsula, went up to the upper peninsula and then ended in the lower. Rider's needed a receipt in Grand Marias, but there is only one gas station in Grand Marais. Most Riders needed gas, so there was a little wait. But George Barker ( 4 digit IBA number ) had an aux tank on his Gold Wing, so he just pulled up to an ATM receipt and got a receipt - brilliant.

BTW, George and three other Riders finished in less than 16 hours - a BBG pace. Remarkable since they did a lot of miles in the U.P. under the 55 mph limit. More to the story, but I digress.

Last edited:

HDConvert

Premier Member
[QUOTE When I realised there was no time stamp I went back and asked if there was an alternative receipt, but that was the only receipt they could offer.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar situation this weekend on the Winter Solstice ride. Gas receipt out of the pump didn't show the actual address of the location. I've used ATM receipts on several occasions and could have on this one as well, but I didn't wanna pay that '2.50 service fee' just to get a receipt. Walked back in and bought a pack of gum... good receipt... done!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Take this for what it's worth...

It would seem that - generally speaking - as long as the receipt that's missing one piece of the data isn't a key piece of the puzzle (start, finish, corner), as long as you have some secondary method of proving where you were at and when you were there, you're good.

Now, having wrote that, I'm simply explaining that, on the rides I've done, I have had secondary means to show where I was at and when I was there. A simple explanation that states "Gas Station X No. 1237" is located in Backwoods, New Mexico on a ride long seems to also go a long way in describing where I was at and when I was there.

At least prove to yourself, not just the cert team member that'll be looking at your ride data, that you could tell someone where you were at.

Mike721

Premier Member
Always look for alternate sources of receipts.

I had a really stressful receipt situation like that on my BBG 1500, and it was a critical receipt, the mid point turn around, and it was broiling hot, and i was woozy and flustered. I almost didn't get what I needed but as I was riding away trying to figure out what to do with my sun addled brain I saw my salvation.."Wendy's"

Here is the excerpt from my ride report...

" My turn around point came, I rolled into Dalton, GA, 770 miles under my belt, sweat running in my eyes, planning on stopping at a BP that I had seen on the google maps while planning the ride. I spotted BP, right where I imagined it, pulled in, and then I noticed a bag on the pump, on ALL the pumps, DAMN it, the gas station was closed, it still was painted BP green, but it was now a cigarette store! The only other gas in town was the ironically named "Victory Fuel" which seemed like a good choice for my bike anyway :) so there I went, dripping in the 97F heat. I got my gas, and the darn receipt didn't print, and I needed this critical receipt to document my ride! I went inside, got a duplicate receipt, and it didn't have the info I needed on it, I tried buying something, another bad receipt! I tried the ATM, got cash, and the receipt printer on that didn't include the location either! CRAP! Time was fleeting, I had to do something so I took a few pictures to attempt to prove I was there, changed to my mesh jacket, drank 2 bottles of water and rode away worried that I was going to have to find another town, I really felt my documentation of this critical turnaround was lacking...then on the way out of town spotted my salvation! Wendy's! They always give good receipts, with the address and number of the store on them, so I invested another 5 minutes of my precious time and got a great receipt, and the unplanned burger that I scarfed down in 3 bites was good too! "

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sounds like me during the Butt Lite 7. I was in south Texas and was way low on fuel. Pulled into a gas station and when I got to the pumps I saw the remains of plastic bags on the pump handles and a faded piece of paper on the pump saying they had been closed by the Texas EPA. Talk about your heart sinking to your knees ...

Fortunately someone came out of the building a moment later and told me about the brand new station a mile up the rode. When I got there concrete for half the lot had not yet been poured but their pumps worked. When I got gas I found I had less than 1 tenth of a gallon left.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Dude, I feel you. When I was doing my Leap Year ride, I had two consecutive stops when the receipts were all messed up: The pump had the date and time, but not the name and address of the business. I went inside to get a reprint and the reprinted receipt had the name and address of the business, BUT NOT THE DATE AND TIME!

I can't remember off-hand where I was, but it had to be in West TN, and it was the same chain.