Consequences of sleep deprivation

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
According to this article, the 25 ill-effects below may result from inadequate sleep. I have helped by indicating their relationship to, say, a BBG attempt:

1. Irritability
Bloody middle lane hogs.

2. Headaches
Should have tried your helmet before leaving home.

3. Inability to learn
Clackett Lane services always has the most expensive petrol.

4. Weight gain
Too many pork pies from On The Run.

5. Poor vision
Birdshit on the visor.

6. Heart disease
No, it's actually homesickness.

7. Slowness
You thought Friday afternoon was a good time for the M6.

8. Infection
Failed to zip your jacket in the rain.

9. Economic risk-taking
M6 toll.

10. Overproduction of urine
Shouldn't have had the last coffee should you?

11. Distractedness
Yes she was cute.

12. Less effective vaccines
No vaccine available for "fell off motorbike".

13. Impaired speech
My goodness it's cold in the Cairngorms.

14. Colds
Refer to 8 & 13.

15. Gastrointestinal problems
Refer to 4.

16. Car accidents
Fortunately BBGs are ridden on motorbikes only so this doesn't apply.

17. Depleted sex drive
Nobody should be having sex while riding a motorbike.

18. Pain
Get an AirHawk.

19. Diabetes
A diet of Coca-cola and Mars bars will do that to you, try beef jerky instead.

20. Sloppiness
Failing to close zippers when leaving petrol stations on motorways.

21. Cancer
I'd like to think it takes more than one BBG to catch cancer.

22. Memory problems
Did I get a VAT receipt at Dover?

23. Genetic disruption
Refer to 17.

24. Unhappiness and depression
750 miles of cold & wet, 85 minutes behind schedule, heading west into Wales in the dark.

25. Death
don't have no mercy in this land.

Last edited:

Rusjel

Premier Member
Nicely done!

I wonder what the effects of periodic sleep deprivation are? Ie normal sleep patterns interspersed with LD riding?

Then there is the issue that many of us are (cough) plus sized and having issues with sleep anyway.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nicely done!

I wonder what the effects of periodic sleep deprivation are? Ie normal sleep patterns interspersed with LD riding?

Then there is the issue that many of us are (cough) plus sized and having issues with sleep anyway.
On a serious note? In this thread...? :eek:

When people get a whiff on how I prefer to spend my time on the bike, some people looks worried and ask me:
"Isn't that dangerous?"

...and I tell them all the medical issues I know of, when it comes to rocking ones sleep rythm, minimizing the sleep for days, being exposed to wind, weather and sometimes low temperatures and later the same week extreme high temperatures.

We expose ourselves to heart conditions, mess with the hormones that regulate eating, satiation and what not.
Furthermore: turning night into day and getting bad sleep in a bus shed just because one wants to utilize the congestion hour outside a major city risks triggering latent diabetes and the story goes on and on and on...

"Ah!" they say: "didn't think of that. I was more concerned with..."

'...the risk of meeting caged drivers that are so drowsy they cant even keep to their lane?' I counter, with a happy smile. 'Yes, one really have to be alert out on the road.'

Discussions tends to end there - but there is always someone that has overheard the chat, persons that stroll on over later the same evening and are genuinly interested and wishes to hear more. On the riding bit, not the medical sadness.

Yes, what we do can have a massive impact on our health and even on our lifespan.
I for one am aware of it - and still can't wait to get out on my next ride.

The risk of medical implications, and complications induced by our kind of riding is most probably reduced through being resonably fit and not carrying too much extra weight around.

Alpenbutt Rally this year was my first ever experience were I felt it like that my body was getting in the way for my ambitions and did not measure up to what I had planned - even though it was bigger than ever before... :p

...and who's fault is that? The Rallymaster? Oh, I wish!
I wish I could pin my state on someone else, but I did see his note more than a year earlier on good physical condition as an important prerequisite for a safe and decent finish.
Did I take note of it? Nah...

Does anyone here take this writing as an alarm signal to get fit again?
I doubt that, so don't let me pull the wet blanket over this really fun topic start.

I still don't really care if I get to be 80, 90 or a 100 years old.
I just want to do better result in my next rally. Better sweat before the event than during it.