Container for food and protection?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Need some ideas on a container for food that I can access easily while riding, I have a big tank bag and have mastered eating twizzlers (they don't make a mess in my bag) but what kind of container do most of you use to put food in?

Also wondering what you use to protect yourself while on the road, laws are different in each state on carrying a gun, and what about carrying in Canada? I don't own a gun, so I'm thinking about getting bear spray, from what I've read it's more potent, just Wondering because I have seen pics of riders sleeping on their bikes or laying on the ground, and it got me thinking what you do if somebody approaches you.

I ride a Goldwing and there is not much I can do about storage anywhere except the trunk and saddle bags. I bought a small soft sided cooler at Walmart that will hold 6 or 8 of the 16 oz bottles of water. I bolted it to the starboard side passenger's footrest. I stock it with 8 oz bottles of water and put several Cliff Bars in there too. Very easy to reach down, unzip it. and get food or water while running on cruise.

I tried carrying Cliff Bars in a messenger bag slung over my shoulder during my last BBG. Did not like it.

gramps

Slasher

Premier Member
I always carry twizzlers and beef jerky in ziplock bags in my tank bag. Takes a little practice getting the bags open while moving but it's doable. If I have my wits about me, I'll move one of the snacks to my ram mounted cup holder at a gas stop, much easier to eat from there. I have a 1/2 gallon cooler with a drinking tube bolted to one of my passenger foot pegs for hydration so my cup holder is generally empty.

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Beef jerky in a plastic tupperware type container on my right handlebar. I can reach over with left hand to open and close the lid. One side of the lid is screwed together so I don't loose the lid. Water bladder right behind me, mounted on lid of small Pelican case.

I carry a pistol when I'm out moto-camping alone, but never on long distance rallies. I have too much to worry about and think about on a rally, without thinking through what individual state laws say on weapons. And with a gun onboard, Canada would be off the table. I'm not sure how helpful bear spray would be to you, but we all do what we must in order to feel comfortable and happy.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Beef jerky in a plastic tupperware type container on my right handlebar. I can reach over with left hand to open and close the lid. One side of the lid is screwed together so I don't loose the lid. Water bladder right behind me, mounted on lid of small Pelican case.

I carry a pistol when I'm out moto-camping alone, but never on long distance rallies. I have too much to worry about and think about on a rally, without thinking through what individual state laws say on weapons. And with a gun onboard, Canada would be off the table. I'm not sure how helpful bear spray would be to you, but we all do what we must in order to feel comfortable and happy.
Do any of the IBR Rides use a camelback?

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My water bladder is a Camelback container, without the shoulder straps. I use a long hose with the drinking end attached to a retractable key ring, like the old school janitor uses. Reach back, grab a drink, and let the hose go.

I use the Camelback StoAway 100 Reservoir. It holds 3 quarts of water, which is enough for me during the day. On the rally last year I made a stop each morning, usually at McDs, and filled up the bladder insert from their drink station (cold, filtered), and that took care of me the rest of the day.

Last edited:

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
My water bladder is a Camelback container, without the shoulder straps. I use a long hose with the drinking end attached to a retractable key ring, like the old school janitor uses. Reach back, grab a drink, and let the hose go.

I use the Camelback StoAway 100 Reservoir. It holds 3 quarts of water, which is enough for me during the day. On the rally last year I made a stop each morning, usually at McDs, and filled up the bladder insert from their drink station (cold, filtered), and that took care of me the rest of the day.
That's funny, did you get one from the janitor at school? How do you keep the water cold all day?

RFlagg42

IBR Finisher
Do any of the IBR Rides use a camelback?
I wear a camelbak in rallies, even on the IBR. I don't mind wearing it and I like that it is always with me if I get off the bike, especially if I stop at a restaurant--I can fill it up with ice and water. Having said that, I would only wear one with external fill capability like the Rogue, and I also would prefer to have an insulated drinking tube.

Slasher

Premier Member
I like not having something on my back for long periods of time, that is why I mounted my cooler jug to a foot peg. I got an insulated sleeve for my drinking tube to keep the water in it from getting warm but the big key is that after I take a drink, I blow all the water that is in the tube back into the cooler jug to stay cold. In hot weather I drink the entire 1/2 gallon before the ice melts. Most restaurants or gas stations will happily fill it back up with ice and water for you. I never thought to use a retractable key ring to hold the tube end but, I was close! I use the retractable I.D. badge holders the office supply stores sell. The end that normally snaps through an I.D. Badge fits perfectly around a camelback tube. I then clip it to my tank bag.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I like not having something on my back for long periods of time, that is why I mounted my cooler jug to a foot peg. I got an insulated sleeve for my drinking tube to keep the water in it from getting warm but the big key is that after I take a drink, I blow all the water that is in the tube back into the cooler jug to stay cold. In hot weather I drink the entire 1/2 gallon before the ice melts. Most restaurants or gas stations will happily fill it back up with ice and water for you. I never thought to use a retractable key ring to hold the tube end but, I was close! I use the retractable I.D. badge holders the office supply stores sell. The end that normally snaps through an I.D. Badge fits perfectly around a camelback tube. I then clip it to my tank bag.
That brings me to another question then, but I would be stopping at every exit to go to the bathroom, do you use a stadium buddy or something?

Slasher

Premier Member
I heavily considered the Stadium buddy before my first BBG but never did get one. While I probably didn't drink as much as I should have on that ride, I only stopped for two "Bio Breaks". I was able to fill up my bike with gas and use the facilities at the gas station in about 10 minutes. In the end, I made a much bigger deal out of going to the bathroom in my mind than necessary. The last ride I did required me to eat at waffle houses on the clock. That was great because I would order my food, go use the facilities and usually when I came back out to the dining room, the food was either waiting for me or there shortly after.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I try to keep it simple as possible. For food I use fast food drive throughs. MacDonalds is the favorite, small hamburger, hold the wrapper. Grab it and go with no paper to dispose of. You can find them everywhere and lots are open very late. Energy bars in my front pocket of the Darien and lots of small Starbucks double shots in the trunk and a couple in easy reach for on the go drinking. Also Ensure drinks can be a good source of food at gas stops. See Andy Mackey about those, his idea and they are great.
I have a one gallon water jug in the right rear of the trunk with a small plastic tube which I clip to my jacket pocket. Fill up the jug with ice or just a big bottle of water at a gas stop every so often. Warm water tastes just as good when its really hot.
If it's really hot you can take a bag of ice, half in the drinking water, half in the plastic bag under your jacket, keep the right sleeve closed and when hot stick the left arm out in the breeze for some real cooling. My daughter got it from some other riders and it really works. Think Las Vegas to Kelso to Grand Canyon in the middle of the day at the end of June.

cberry

Premier Member
For hydration all I use is a 1 or 1.5 liter camelback mounted to the top of my tank bag. The bladder is enclosed within aluminized bubble wrap for insulation and to minimize sweating. I fill it first with all the ice I can stuff in it and then add (cold) water. This system serves a dual purpose: hydration and sun/heat shield for the contents of the bag. Cliff bars and their cousin, Kids' bars are tolerable while moving. McD's (now available all day) oatmeal is a relatively healthy meal any time.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've used for non-cert rides a Camelbak - I think the one I have is 1.5L. I've also purchased and used exactly one time a Geigerrig (think pressurized version of Camelbak) on a really really hot day here in the desert.

One-up, I can get away with it, but two-up would be tough and now I'm in her space.

If you're serious in this, that cooler-on-the-pax footrest or equivalent is probably easiest. Grab a cold bottle, toss the empty into the cooler and you're hydration issue is solved in ten seconds or so. Moving or stationary.

Another mentioned above the reduction of bio-breaks (two for a BBG? Wow!) since your system is working on a slight amount of dehydration at that point. I did a three bio-break stop SS1000 at a BBG pace a year ago. Once you get it in your head that you can be okay in not having a bio break for five hours - or two back-to-back stock fuel runs on a GL1800 - then things start to work out a little easier.

(NOTE: First three hours was at a temp not exceeding 40°F (4.5°C) - that may have helped...)

Firearms can be taken into Canada, including pistols. The problem with taking a firearm into Canada is that they have too many laws (as far as I'm concerned) that you could violate. To start with, you have to make sure the firearm you want to bring is legal in Canada, and the rules probably vary between provinces (and territories) like they do between our states. There is paperwork that you have to have when arriving at the border and, from what I have read, it needs to be filled out before you get to the border crossing except for the signature... so they can witness you signing it. If you really want to take a firearm with you, contact the Canadian government first and verify that your firearm is legal, where the rules and forms are on their website and it would also be a good idea to have them mail you any literature they have on the subject. I would also contact the Canadian border crossing where you plan to enter Canada to verify with them what their interpretation of the law is and how it applies to what you plan to bring (and get the name of who you talk to). I have seen, and heard of, too many instances when some member of law enforcement 'knew' what the law was, but in reality didn't. I wouldn't want to be sitting in lock-up while they get it straightened out. I would also check with the U.S. border crossing where you plan to re-enter the U.S. just to make sure you don't have any problems there either. I carry almost everywhere I go, but when I'm heading to Canada I just don't feel like going through the hassle. Two good places to start would be:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rpg-mrp-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html

If you really want to have a 'gun', flare guns are legal in Canada. Most criminals would rather be shot with a firearm than with a flare gun. I don't know, however, what the laws are as to how or where you can or can't carry them but they should be OK anytime you are on your motorcycle.

You can have 'bear spray' or similar items, which are fairly large, as long as it is labeled as being intended for protection against animals. Pepper spray, mace or anything similar that is for self defense against people, or not labeled to be used against animals, is illegal. Some cans of bear spray come with a holster that hangs from your belt. You could also attach some sort of cup holder to your bike to carry your bear spray and some sort of a coozie (or koozie, depending on where you're from) to keep it snug in the cup holder so it doesn't bounce out. One thing about bears... When startled they take off in the direction they are facing. If they are facing the road, they will run out in the road in front of you.

Canada doesn't have any restrictions, that I'm aware of, on the size knives. I have one that even Crocodile Dundee would probably say "that's a knife". The border crossing people looked at it and went on looking through my stuff. They do, however, have restrictions on things like switchblades.

If you want to have something for defense against people or animals, a can of Lysol, or hair spray, and a Bic lighter can be awesome and normally aren't categorized as weapons..

When you get to the border crossing, declare ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that is considered a weapon, including bear spray, knives and flare guns.

Last edited:
I was told by a Canada Border person that Wasp spray wouldn't raise any eyebrows and it takes a trip to the ER if get in your eyes.....I asked what it would do to a bear and he had no idea :)

Dan

Paul Knight

Premier Member
For Canada and my sidearm I have stopped at a Fedex and boxed up the gun. removed the ammo (put in my saddle bags) and shipped the gun to my next USA hotel. Done this a few times and it works out well.

As far as taking the gun into Canada, when I did my research for 2015 I was told that the hand gun had to be something like an 12" barrel or something crazy like that so my small 9mm is too small which is why I shipped it.

I tried jerky but it got stuck in my teeth. At home I can floss after eating jerky but did not want to try flossing while on the bike and on the clock so jerky although a good source of energy is off my list.

Energy bars of all kinds are in my tank bag. I get them from Costco by the bulk.

at each gas stop I grab a cold Gatorade (2 if they are onsale) and down the Gatorade and eat an energy bar after fueling up and back on the bike.