Continental leaks

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
My recent overseas jaunt reminded me of a longstanding issue and I thought I'd see how others cope.

Being over 50, I need to pee more than once a day but that's not always a straightforward thing. Charging an entrance fee to the toilets started, I believe, in Belgium some years ago but it's now spread to just about everywhere. I don't mind having to pay but

Most motorway services charge 1 euro or maybe 80 cents. That needs coins and they need to be readily available because I might well be in a hurry and I'll need to negotiate several layers of interlocking garments.

Some places allow contactless card payments but not necessarily any of the cards you have with you.

In Germany some service areas offer only parking and WC - which is free. Other service areas, see above.

In some places peeing in the bushes is still a possibility but not, for example, in the Netherlands where the entire country is constantly neat, tidy and polished and I can't believe they ever pee outdoors anywhere.

Does everyone just keep a bag of euro coins and change with them?

MrMarcus

I drink also sometimes to much water and need to take a piss more often.
Always some coins and billets in the pocket, not only for toilet use usefull.
Most gates open with the cards i have.

Firstpeke

I found it frustrating in some continental Europe services where I stopped for a wee and a snack, drink etc.... only to discover that had I gone to the loo instead of snacking first, I would have received a voucher for a discount on the snack....
(Got that the wrong way around first time I wrote it!
Fortunately I still seem to be able to go long times between loo stops, unless it gets cold, that's a whole different ba... erm.... game.....

Some loo breaks still get really annoying when dressed for colder weather as there is nowhere to hang all the stuff taken off to gain access to ones privates, which have tried to retreat back into the body due to the low temperatures......

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The US used to have more cash toll booths and often odd amounts of coins were required, sometimes w/o any toll attendant present, so exact change or you paid over and lost the extra. Much like the loo issue you have now. A baggie of change in an outside jacket pocket kept the needed coins at quick access for me and solved the issue for automated tolls. Always checked and replenished before trips.

I suspect this, like the toll booths, will be a temporary problem as more and more things move to electronic payment systems. If you're lucky, someone will push for standardization of the payment methods. A loo pass anyone? :D

I'm on some medication that causes this need more often and with greater urgency. I've gotten very good at finding public toilets in businesses. Knowing which nation wide businesses keep a public toilet in the store and where it's usually located helps a lot when I travel. No idea if that is something useful in the UK/EU. Pharmacies in the US almost always have a clean public toilet in the back of the store.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
It's the only reason I use McDonalds is for a McShite. If a person asks me why I have not bought anything I say I'll get it on my way out which is a McShite with Lies.

I exaggerate I do buy their coffee.

In the UK since 1986 it is classed as a littering offence to urinate in public. Being on diuretics I often suffer from frequency and urgency so have to think well ahead and us all facilities as they appear especially if I don't know where the next toilet is.

Of course there is an App for finding your nearest public toilet. Appropriately named 'Toilet Finder'

What a topic!