Coronavirus

What better way to stay away from people than ride your motorcycle with full gear. Practice social distancing during stops and practice good hygiene. Biggest risk is if you have a mishap and wind up in the hospital. The first responders are at high risk and in my prayers. I am looking forward to getting back at some distance riding once things calm down, for now I will practice riding locally; i.e. from home and back. Please remember after things do calm down please continue social distancing and hygiene we do not have a proven treatment or vaccine yet. Pray, Be Safe, Stay Healthy.

Mike721

Premier Member
The only riding I am doing is to and from work , I am essential personnel and need to go in a few days a week. I suppose I am at a slightly higher risk of an injury from an accident on a bike than in a car but either way I have to travel 120 miles each day, so my decision was that this was acceptable. I will not be riding any IBA rides or long pleasure rides of any type until this is over.

Washington has a pretty strict "stay at home" order in place (I have been working from home for 5 weeks now) so no rides for a while. I was planning an "In State" SS 1000 for June and a BB 1500 for late July to see my grandkids in San Diego, but now will have to see how the travel restrictions will play out.

IBA ZX-9R

I've informed every rider I know, including one who just texted me tonight and by broadcast messages to other riders, that I do not recommend riding on unnecessary rides, as per Michael Kneebone's recommendation. This includes show-n-shines. It's the right thing to do and I'm behind it 100%. I understand MCs are a mode of transportation too. And we have one older rider who will die from the big C soon. Ride on and be safe, bud. No problem with that.

There will be a time for me and others, hopefully, when some normalcy returns. Nothing right now is normal, so I feel it is my duty to sacrifice along with those who are sacrificing more than I.

Ride #4 postponed indefinitely.

Baxter

I'm just gonna chime in to note that there are also regional blood shortages adding to the other stresses on the healthcare system. Apparently many employer or religious organization blood drives have been called off.

If you're healthy, please consider donating blood. It's really not difficult.

ibafran

As onerous as it is, I haven't been on the bike since the SIP edict was announced in IL. Good to read that the IBA is 'adjusting' for riders in mid-ride certs. I would have expected that as the IBA staff seems to have its act together pretty well all the time.

Many moons ago, I was a regular blood donor. When the social distancing edict came down but before the SIP was announced, I managed to donate. Recent thinking is that if one has tested positive for the virus and have healed, one should donate blood so the antibodies might be available to others. In any case, phone your local collection site and see if you qualify and make an appointment if you can donate. Takes about an hour not counting waiting in any line. If you have not ever donated blood, now is a good time to start. Legitimately gets you out of the house if you need to get on the bike for a short trip.

I have had to leave the house 2-4 times in the past SIP weeks and found traffic to be oddly 'different'. The near empty streets (depending on time of day) encourage speeding. LEOs are not working the streets like normal. Much traffic is not 'social distancing' when it is easy to do so (6+ second distancing as possible? A little extra distance while sitting out red lights?) Nothing quite like seeing a cager in mask and gloves following at less than one second in near zero traffic, sigh. Lots of weirdness to be seen. IF you have to be out in traffic, you might want to be a bit more vigilant than usual and observe your traffic experience for sharing later when the stats come out. It truly amazes me that there is zero PSA from the govt about sharing the road during this time of virus?

The recent 'pile up' of 50+ cagers during a snow event on our chi-town x-way didn't surprise me in the least. Several other pile-ups occured around our area but were not 'big enough' or bad enough to make the (if it bleeds, it leads) news. Doesn't surprise me that traffic at this time of virus is more 'dodgy' than usual.
fran

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm quite sure there's probably some discussion about this elsewhere...perhaps even in private, but thought this thread may be useful to continue this train of thought.

At the beginning of the month, Premier Members received an email from Mike K. on the general topic of IBA rides during this pandemic. Mike was kind enough to also share this on the landing page for the certified ride list here for all members: https://ironbutt.org/rides/

Something that may (or may not) have been missed by those reading was in the last paragraph, regarding Premier status:

Mike K. said:
...sometime this week [EOM March] as clearly we are going to lose April and probably May riding season.
The jury is still out on the loss of riding opportunities during the month of May in some areas of the country. The methodologies used by those in governmental leadership roles to reopen our businesses appear to be reasonable and prudent, and based on science (yaay!). Yet, for nearly all of us, we're not even at the starting gate in some regions of the country.

Ref the map located here: http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

Phasing Criteria: https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#criteria

"Phase Two - For States and Regions with no evidence of a rebound and that satisfy the gating criteria a second time - NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL can resume."

Is the 'go' point in time?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I plan on trying my 1500 BB over Memorial Day Weekend if weather is OK.
Only State I see that might whine is Virginia.
I think most the truck stops are running OK now.
Quicker I get back from the East Coast to the MIdwest the better, looking forward to the ride.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
There are these sorts of actions that really make me pause - at least right now - about my next IBA ride:

https://navajotimes.com/coronavirus-updates/police-balance-safety-freedom-with-curfews/

AZ-264 is the main east-west highway thru that region...

The north-south main highway? Yeah - US-191 is one of them.
Let's see if I understand this correctly... They are stopping people who are quite likely riding motorcycles while traveling on a US Highway and forcing them to interact with an officer who has been in very close proximity with potentially infected people and in direct contact with their documents only to be lectured and fined for not adhering to some hastily promulgated local ordinance (pretty sure it did not follow the legal process to become actual law).

It that about right?

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Let's see if I understand this correctly... They are stopping people who are traveling on a US Highway and forcing them to interact with an officer who has been in very close proximity with potentially infected people and in direct contact with their documents only to be lectured and fined for not adhering to some hastily promulgated local ordinance (pretty sure it did not follow the legal process to become actual law).

It that about right?
AZ-264 (as related to in the article) is a state highway that crosses thru the sovereign Navajo Nation.

Yes, state law is recognized, as is federal law, -and- tribal law within the confines of the sovereign Navajo Nation.

But, yeah - you nailed it! :confused:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I will not be attempting my next IBA ride at this time since the route is thru the above-mentioned location.