Coronavirus

Stuck at home is really new to me. I hope that this plague disappears sooner so I can ride again anywhere. I am ready to ride every day. But, knowing that hospitals are overloaded with infected patients makes me think that this stay at the home thing will make us safe at home.

Peter Perfect

Something to consider.......

When Lockdown is eased, there are going to be a lot of people on the road whose driving/riding skills will be rusty...

I'm going to wait a while before I do my next IBA run..!!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Stuck at home is really new to me. I hope that this plague disappears sooner so I can ride again anywhere. I am ready to ride every day. But, knowing that hospitals are overloaded with infected patients makes me think that this stay at the home thing will make us safe at home.
Not sure what hospitals you mean, but most hospitals around this area have been laying off employees because of the lack of patients, some of whom are occasionally motorcycle riders.

CB650F

Premier Member
Comment withdrawn because I didn't read the whole thread before commenting and Ira's right, as always. That's what I get for only reading the last page of a thread. Sorry

Last edited:

David Hay

Premier Member
Has there been any updated information posted about when the "clock" will restart for those pushing the 12 month deadline on themed rides?

Last I saw, the Association was blind to April and May. Washington, a state I need to get to in order to complete the NPT Silver, is still in Phase 1 of it's restrictions. Non-essential travel isn't permitted until Phase 3. It appears that the virus is subsiding in the eastern states, while those in the west including Arizona where I live, are experiencing daily increases in the number of infections

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If your travel is still restricted, we will skip June as well.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

IBA ZX-9R

States opened up so there was a glimmer of hope for an either late June or early July SS1K for me and a couple other riders, me helping my fellow riders click off a twisty course SS1K during a brief window of opportunity. I had reservations, but I put on my best game face for two other sportsbike riders.

The week before every SS1K ride, I told them, I do a 500 miler to prep myself. This year would be no different, simply because I don't take such a quest ride for granted even for myself. I impressed upon them that there is nothing easy about accomplishing one. They were onboard. We'd attempt a one-half SS1K at IBA pace, as a simulation.

But our attempt was a caviler joke to them. More than likely I don't see how we could have finished without literally pushing ourselves to the limit of risking injury unnecessarily. This was supposed to be fun, not an endurance test of wills.

I knew when we were headed back on our return leg that they didn't have what it took. A week later I queried the other two riders about their thoughts of going forward, hoping they'd decline. Reassuringly for my thoughts, their heads drooped. They were not going to attempt a SS1K this year, even with my help. I agreed.

I completed an "In Washington State" SS1000 yesterday. Will compile the info, print out the map and send for verification this week. Weather was moderately poor with three or four hours of rain (not my favorite thing) before clearing up and getting warm in the middle of the state. I began in Seattle, rode to the Canadian border, then down to I-90 and over to Spokane Valley, (almost the Idaho border) then south to Kennewick and 395 S. to the Oregon border. I rode State 14 along the Columbia River to Vancouver, Wa and then back to Seattle. It worked out to about 1055 miles with wrong turns and some insurance distance in 18 hours total elapsed time.

Last edited:

Baxter

I thought I'd mention for anyone traveling to Wisconsin that some of our hospitals, particularly near Green Bay, are wait-listing or transferring patients due to COVID overload. https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...virus-green-bay-fox-valley-wausau/3578202001/ Maybe it's not the best of times to take a ride in that region.

So far, the same hasn't been mentioned for Milwaukee metro where I presently live. But as I write, Wisconsin and some other states are on Chicago's quarantine list. The old saying that you can't go home again is now literal for me (I'm a 5th generation Chicagoan).

Just got confirmation that my Washington State SS1000 from July was certified! I had hoped to do a BB 1500 going to see my kids and grandkids but June was locked down so the July in state ride described earlier in this thread was all I could muster. It was the first time I tried electronic submission and relieved to have confirmation I had supplied enough information.
A big thanks to the reviewer(s) for taking the time to check all my info.

Baxter

My wife and I just scheduled our first COVID shots. Hopefully this will soon be over for everyone!

My new bike still needs her first IBA certificate, and I still have something to prove to myself since I put in the work last summer to get fit enough again for an IBA ride!