Counting the cost of the IBR

A question for those that have run a full IBR whether you qualified as a finisher or not. How much did you spend running the IBR, excluding entry fees and the bike?

Thanks for sharing.

-Mark

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Mark, I have ridden in 5 IBR's and between gas, hotel, food and other expenses more than $2,700. Hotels will be your biggest cost after the entry fee. I figure at least ten nights in hotels from the day you arrive ( usually two nights before the start for tech inspection and registration ), two check points, two nights at the finish and depending on the rally theme another six nights during the rally if not more. Hotels with tax, tag and title are around $120 or more a night so hotels can easily be $1,500 for the rally start to finish.

Gas is back up over $3.50 a gallon so if you target 11,000 miles during the rally and get around 35 MPG on your bike you can figure gas will be at least $1,100.

I don't eat much during the rally, so I budget around $25 a day including my tag bag food.

Hi Mark, I have ridden in 5 IBR's and between gas, hotel, food and other expenses more than $2,700. Hotels will be your biggest cost after the entry fee. I figure at least ten nights in hotels from the day you arrive ( usually two nights before the start for tech inspection and registration ), two check points, two nights at the finish and depending on the rally theme another six nights during the rally if not more. Hotels with tax, tag and title are around $120 or more a night so hotels can easily be $1,500 for the rally start to finish.

Gas is back up over $3.50 a gallon so if you target 11,000 miles during the rally and get around 35 MPG on your bike you can figure gas will be at least $1,100.

I don't eat much during the rally, so I budget around $25 a day including my tag bag food.
Thanks for the reply.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You eat out of your tank bag most of the time while moving. Snack bars, squeeze baby food, left over McDonald's whatever. The key to a rally like the IBR is to keep moving, manage stops to be fast and infrequent, etc but most of all KEEP MOVING.

So eating and drinking (and sometimes relieving) on the move are essentials.

In 2019 and 2021 I did not eat at a sit down place once. All meals were on the move, while pumping fuel and two were while waiting for a location to open in order to gain access for my bonus pic.

Always multitasking...

Also you cannot exclude bike costs tbh, the pre rally and post rally prep/maintenance and consumables add up quickly. Tires, oil, valve checks (for some driveshafts and fuel pumps) etc are all part of the cost to consider.

An IBR can easily run you as $3000 - $5000 when you add up fuel, food, hotels, maintenance, consumables, tolls, entry fees for parks/museums, etc it all adds up and this is not counting the entry fees and other requirements which add some costs.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm trying to remember where I read it, but I once read an estimate that it costs ~$10,000 to field a finishing campaign in the IBR, once all associated costs are factored in.
It all rider dependent of course. Some spend more some spend less, some have bikes in far more rally ready shape, some have issues on the road that add costs etc etc but I think if you add all costs, every single one yeah on average it's probably not that far off.

It's not cheap, but there is nothing else like it on the planet and worth every single penny, but don't ask a rider on day 7 if they agree at that moment :p

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For me in '13, the start, finish and checkpoint hotels were more expensive than the hotels I used during the event. You don't have to stay at the event hotels, but it's a lot easier if you do. Some riders will get to the start a couple of days early, stay in a M6 or other budget hotel, then move to the start hotel the night before the start so they can do the banquet, go strait to a room to plan and not have to worry about moving until they leave. bikes need to be in impound that night too, complicating things if you're not staying at the start hotel.

I rode to PA from UT, so 3 hotels on the way, 3 nights at the start hotel, one night at the checkpoint hotel, then another night at the finish hotel, plus 9 hotels while riding the IBR. So not counting the trip home, that's 16 nights probably running ~$1500 just for that. Gas was easily $1100 for the total trip including riding to the start and home after. Food was mostly gas station food during the rally, but sit down food before the start at the captured hotel prices wasn't cheap and I had one order in night during the rally when I screwed up and had to park and wait until the Henry Ford museum opened the next day, which cost more than if I'd have been moving. I'll just round up and say $500 for food. That's $3100.

Then there are the other expenses. A rear tire, plus shipping it to a shop at checkpoint two, the cost to have it M&B there. The pair of new tires I had drop shipped to a shop in PA for the start and the cost to M&B those. (I R&R'd my wheels both times. Oil change before the start, (Walmart parking lot), oil change after the finish, (Walmart parking lot), extra set of brake pads, (just in case).

Spot costs if you don't already have it. AAA and/or other recovery service dues, if you don't already have it/them. MedJet dues, if you don't already have it.

The IBR can be done cheaper or more expensive. All in, not counting the entry fee or bike, but counting upgrades/farkles/gear that I bought because I was riding the IBR, it's probably a number between $5k and $6k.

I just rode from CA to MS a few days ago and premium gas was over $5/gal in some Western areas on I-10. It got a little cheaper as I moved East.

igneouss

Premier Member
Disclaimer: I am NOT an IBR vet...
Note that these rallies typically require CSL type insurance policies which are significantly higher cost than typical policies ($100s more). Also, you will want to add modifications to your bike. There is always a mod or two that is both a good idea and expensive. All the other stuff like Eric said. Plus emergency cash. A back-up cell phone. A back-up GPS. Top quality riding gear is expensive and this is when you really need it. I've noted some folks advocate a gym membership prior to the rally. The stronger you are physically, the better...
I've heard it said "11 days, 11,000 miles, $11,000"

Part of the logic problem is that the IBR and similar rallies are a huge commitment. It's not something that I would try on a shoestring. Only high quality equipment and support will eliminate negative variables. It's hard to justify a cheap GPS when you are in for the effort. Or, you wouldn't start out with partly worn brakes or tires... Etc... Can it be done on a shoestring? No doubt. But the chances of DNF are in direct proportion to the quality of gear, maintenance, comfort, etc

I am always doing modifications and upgrading stuff. Little bit at a time. Current effort is aimed at the LDX rally. If I get everything I plan to do actually done in time, I will be using the JAX party as an opportunity to shake down the current setup. If it goes well, I will not have a ton of stuff left to do prior to the LDX.

My hat will be in the ring for 2023.

Cheers!

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Disclaimer: I am NOT an IBR vet...
Note that these rallies typically require CSL type insurance policies which are significantly higher cost than typical policies ($100s more). Also, you will want to add modifications to your bike. There is always a mod or two that is both a good idea and expensive. All the other stuff like Eric said. Plus emergency cash. A back-up cell phone. A back-up GPS. Top quality riding gear is expensive and this is when you really need it. I've noted some folks advocate a gym membership prior to the rally. The stronger you are physically, the better...
I've heard it said "11 days, 11,000 miles, $11,000"

Part of the logic problem is that the IBR and similar rallies are a huge commitment. It's not something that I would try on a shoestring. Only high quality equipment and support will eliminate negative variables. It's hard to justify a cheap GPS when you are in for the effort. Or, you wouldn't start out with partly worn brakes or tires... Etc... Can it be done on a shoestring? No doubt. But the chances of DNF are in direct proportion to the quality of gear, maintenance, comfort, etc

I am always doing modifications and upgrading stuff. Little bit at a time. Current effort is aimed at the LDX rally. If I get everything I plan to do actually done in time, I will be using the JAX party as an opportunity to shake down the current setup. If it goes well, I will not have a ton of stuff left to do prior to the LDX.

My hat will be in the ring for 2023.

Cheers!
It is very easy to overthink, over prepare and over spend too.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
At the end of the day, you need a reliable bike that you can be comfortable riding all day, day after day after day. Don't bring gremlins to the start. And gear that you can be comfortable in all day, rain or shine, hot or cold. Being wet really sucks the spirit out of you.

If a guy on an '82 GL500 or stock Ninja 250 can turn in a respectable finish, others can do well with minimal choices. Yes, a fuel cell, hydration jug and extra lights all help. And all can be had for low costs. You do NOT need the latest and greatest GPS or other gear. I used two ancient 2610s for my IBR in '13. No, I was not top ten or even close, but had no illusions about that either. It really is the rider, not the bike.

After that, it takes a conscious effort to minimize costs. How hard the rider is willing to push themselves and how much suffering they can endure will be a factor. Top ten riders don't always spend every night of the rally in a hotel because they are pushing hard to do the miles and get the points. But Joe and Jane Regular Rider shouldn't under estimate the value of quality sleep in a bed and a shower.

And when you need a room, you NEED a room. Damned what it costs. That's part of simply being safe, knowing when to stop rolling.

At that point, you're attempting to minimize costs by being prepared, not breaking down, not ending up wiped out tired next to a Hilton or Spa resort and being able to safely pick a budget hotel each night. That's another factor to plan into your routes, and not always an easy one.

Forming a plan in an efficient manner. Being able to re-plan when The Plan goes to shit. And being able to figure out the "Game" will be important.

It helps if you don't have big distance to get to the start location. It helps if you prepare for checkpoint stuff well ahead of time and can have a tire shipped to a shop instead of paying to ship it yourself. Hard to do if you're shipping an entire wheel/tire assy as some do.

I guess you could save on the front and back ends by staying with friends on your way to the start and home from the finish. Even better, having a friend host you close to the start and just spending that one night before the start in the host hotel. Don't wear out your welcome, but something to consider for a tight budget.

Not much you can do about gas costs. Food, well, you need to eat. Don't trade time for $$ savings during the rally. Time is far more precious.

igneouss

Premier Member
It is very easy to overthink, over prepare and over spend too.
Not sure where I land on that scale... I know one very competitive individual that went so far as to have a one-off carbon fiber replacement fuel tank fabricated. Added several gallons capacity. Cost something like $7000. Any number of people that start the process by purchasing a new bike... Also, it's hard to count dollars for any number of things that one would use beyond 'only' the IBR. It's all good. Obviously, the amount of money and effort is different for everyone. In my case, there are lots of IBR finishers that have put lots more time and effort into it than I ever could. So not sure I'm exactly 'over thinking' it'

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everyone's budget is unique. A carbon fiber expanded tank is worth the cost for some riders and some bikes. It cost me ~$1k to have an expanded 8.2 gal steel tank made for my Super Ten, which was only slightly cheaper than my original Tanji fuel cell for my FJR, back when I got that from Dean. the expanded main tank wasn't even for rally use, just touring and to lighten the rear of the bike for packing travel/camp gear crap.

'Don't over think it' simply means you want lights? buy lights. You don't have to buy the most expensive 'best' lights just because it's the IBR. Use what you normally use until and unless that doesn't work for you.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everyone above is US based. I wonder what it costs for starters say from Europe/England or Australia. Now that's certainly adding to the costs.
Only the first time. After that, you've kept the US motorcycle stored in the US and just have to fly over and pick it up, change the oil and tyres and you're good to go.

Ed.

Premier Member
As another non-entrant (but one-day-hopeful), I would have thought it prudent to keep this sort of info to private messages and never leave it publicly accessible, where it may be found by The Prosecution!