Custom riding pants

CB650F

Premier Member
As a big guy with little short legs, so I have a very difficult time finding riding pants that fit well. Things just don't line up with my proportions the way they should. I tried an inexpensive pair that had very good reviews, but the knee pads fit like shin pads and the allegedly "short" inseam was anything but short. I thought about taking them to a tailor to have them adjusted to fit, but then I had another idea. If I'm going to have a tailor make something that fits me well, why not start with a well fitting pair of pants and have the Kevlar/Aramid and pads added to that. It should fit me perfectly since that's what tailors do, and would cost less than the mass produced ones that fit me badly, and would look like regular pants rather than goofy motorcycle pants. I know some people like the big bad biker look, but I'm not one of those guys.

Then I looked up Kevlar fabrics and quickly realized that I know nowhere near enough about it to figure out what to get. There's several different kinds of weaves and a few different weights, and I read somewhere that you need the right weave style or it does absolutely no good. Can anybody help me with that? Is there a go-to fabric for abrasion reinforcement that I just don't know about, or maybe even some general guidelines?

I have the same problem and ended up with a set of Aerostich AD1's. Motoport is your other option.

With Aerostich what you do is talk to them and give them your dimensions. They will recommend an off-the-shelf size and send it to you. You then take a few pictures and provide some more measurements, send those back and they will make one custom for you. You can have length taken off above the knee, at the ankle, or some combination thereof.

This is what I did and they fit me perfectly. I'm not sure if Motoport does it this way. I think they jsut take all you dirmentions up front and what you get is what you get. In my opinion, if you are an odd size (in my case short and, eh, wide) Aerostich's method is most likely to result in a piece that actually fits.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
AeroStich will alter the pants to fit you. It's worth the trip to Duluth to get them the first try. They are expensive but cheaper in the long run as you won't spend a bunch trying to find cheap that work for you.

Tep_52

Premier Member
Depending on where you're located in the US I would suggest checking Arrow stitches website for a pop-up event near you I bought mine there and I had great success