DD1000(1) Ride to eat to Wollongong

Fransvdm

Premier Member
G'day

Some of you might know me, those who don't, you'll get to know me as we go along.

It is a few years now that I wanted to introduce into The Australian Long Distance Riders community, a ride that I often have done and still like to do when the occasion arises. I call it a DD1000. It is a 1,000km ride in 12 hours, daylight time, from Dawn to Dusk. 5am to 5pm, or thereabouts. I thought it would minimise the risk and won't require extra lights to be put on your bike.

We did a DD1000 to Mount Beauty a few years ago and it was a nice social gathering that Saturday night. Some went home after dinner but most stayed the night.

I discussed this ride with Trevor & Karl at our recent weekend away at Nambucca Heads. Since this ride is outside the guidelines of The IBA, it will not be recognised as such, and won't be an official ride either.

I was el prompto issued with instructions to organise a DD1000.

Please post your EOI below. I am working on a date which will be around the beginning of April 2016. The destination will be Wollongong, NSW

Skidoo

Premier Member
The ride is a great concept and idea. I loved the ride to Mt Beauty and the evening that followed :rolleyes:

Count me in but the first weekend may be a problem; suppose I can just re-adjust my planned ride :D so count me in.

tj189

Premier Member
a nice social ride for any rider from the LDCommunity.. I will keep an eye out for the date due to another planned ride but I would like to drop in Frans. Thanks for offering to organise this:cool:

Tele

Premier Member
Thanks for the invite Frans :)
I work a rotating roster, so my options are for either annual leave (if I can get it) or, if lucky, a rostered-day off. I'm off for 5 weeks in May, so not sure how Ill go getting some extra time in April. Decide on a date that suits you and I'll be there if I can :D

Fransvdm

Premier Member
The date is Saturday 9 April 2016.

The destination is The Van Der Merwe Crib, Wollongong

Arriving time: From 3pm onwards

You need to do 1000 km in 12 hours, so, for example, if you start at 3 am, you have 12 hours until 3 pm to ride 1,000 km. Or 5am to 5 pm, etc. No receipt, no docket, no evidence, no nothing, just you and your ride. If, for some reason, you cannot ride 1,000 km, you will have to shout a round :oops: We will rely on your honesty but will assume everyone would have done the 1,000 km. No questions ask !!!

Accommodation:

• I have a spare room;
  • You can swag on the deck;
  • There are room for a few tents;
  • Sovereign Inn Wollongong Motel Tel: 4271 1122 is about 2 mins from here. Our family have a personal taxi driver who would love to take you to the motel if you wish to stay there; or
  • You can ride back home, however, I will not recommend that. Once you are here, it is hard to leave.
The meal:

I will put up a "braai" as some of you might have seen on facebook. Most people survived my braais in the past. The ones that haven't probably felt too embarrassed to ring up and told me that they had ridden on.

I need to know the numbers so I know how much food I need to have.

Oh, before I forgot, I have a bar with a few drinks in it so you'll be fine.

Attending:

Frans

hagar

Premier Member
The date is Saturday 9 April 2016.

The destination is The Van Der Merwe Crib, Wollongong

Arriving time: From 3pm onwards

You need to do 1000 km in 12 hours, so, for example, if you start at 3 am, you have 12 hours until 3 pm to ride 1,000 km. Or 5am to 5 pm, etc. No receipt, no docket, no evidence, no nothing, just you and your ride. If, for some reason, you cannot ride 1,000 km, you will have to shout a round :oops: We will rely on your honesty but will assume everyone would have done the 1,000 km. No questions ask !!!

Accommodation:

• I have a spare room;
  • You can swag on the deck;
  • There are room for a few tents;
  • Sovereign Inn Wollongong Motel Tel: 4271 1122 is about 2 mins from here. Our family have a personal taxi driver who would love to take you to the motel if you wish to stay there; or
  • You can ride back home, however, I will not recommend that. Once you are here, it is hard to leave.
The meal:

I will put up a "braai" as some of you might have seen on facebook. Most people survived my braais in the past. The ones that haven't probably felt too embarrassed to ring up and told me that they had ridden on.

I need to know the numbers so I know how much food I need to have.

Oh, before I forgot, I have a bar with a few drinks in it so you'll be fine.

Attending:

Frans
I hate my roster! I really hate my roster!!
Working that weekend, no surprise really, this shitty roster is the bane of my life.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Thanks Frans - great idea.
I will be a likely starter, but will need to confirm when I get home from NZ in a few weeks.

Tele

Premier Member
I must have the same roster as Hagar :mad::mad:
Working 12hr nightshifts on both the 8th and 9th of April ......... I'll check if leave is available ...... I won't hold my breath......:oops:

Nev..

Premier Member
Sounds like a great destination for a ride, and quite coincidently, almost exactly 1000km from my house going the fun way.
At least since I was made redundant all of my weekends have been freed up. I'll put myself down as a starter. I probably won't have started looking for a job by then.

Would love to attend as its only a few ks from home, but will be in middle of night shift (12 hr shifts), nurse dont live very social hours. Will try to just pop in for a few hours though then go to work from there. So no 1000ks from me but possibly an appearance?