Death Valley Advisory

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
March 23, 2019 I rode to Death Valley anticipating a SS1000 and later another insanity ride when the weather heats up. I arrived in a sandstorm. Highway 190 is bulldozed to dirt just below Panamint Springs with delays, pilot car 24 hours a day. The North highway to Grapevine Station is washed away with large rocks and sand at least 5 times. The sand covers many other areas as well. There is no warning signs or flashing signals to indicate a hazard. Finally, the Shell station is now proprietary brand X that would not take my debit card which is good the entire world except below sea level in Furnace Creek. Beware of the roads in Death Valley. I rode to Beatty, NV 29 miles for gas and continued away.

Georgemowry

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Any updates? I plan to ride the Heaven to Hell SS1000 in July. What is the "North" highway, does it have a designation? Which direction is "below" Panamint Springs, East or West?

Last edited:

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Road conditions were when this was posted and may have changed. The north highway is to grapevine ranger station and Scottie’s castle. This was a problem because rocks covered the road at 5 different areas. These can be navigated at slow speed but the sections are without any warning whatsoever and could be problematic at highway speed. Highway 190 is open but pilot car only 24 hours daily. This area is about 2 miles east (below) Panamint springs gas station. I suggest you do the first ride during the day and memorize the problem locations. The furnace creek gas station would not take any of my bank cards so only gas at night for me would have been at stovepipe wells.
Georgemowry

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Thanks. If you hear about any updates please post on this thread. I plan on doing the Heaven to Hell Ride in late July.
HWY 190 which location is the follow me truck? From where to where, how many miles, road condition etc.?
From the 2 miles east of Panamint Springs description is that the only problem area? I will be coming from Beatty to Badwater should I run into any road condition problems?

Ride Safe,
Robert

Last edited:

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
R
Hi captain,
Highway 374 from beatty to furnace creek is in good condition.
I have a Death Valley ss1k plan. The plan makes no sense unless you diagram the roads and label the poi’s. The abbreviations are pan, grape, hell, bad (water), stove, fu__ (furnace creek.) The ride would be multiple loops in various combinations for example : grape, hell, pan, stove was 1 loop. It takes about 7 loops for the ss1k. Highway 190 to panamint springs and fuel (avail during the daytime) is critical in my plan but slowed due to pilot car for about 1 mile. I will share my plan if you want it.
I still want to do twice. First time when it’s cool in the winter. Then again for the gold.
Make no mistake Death Valley is a place from hell. That night when I rode from Furnace creek to Beatty I felt like I had just ridden out of purgatory.
Thank you for your interest. PM me for details.
Georgemowry

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member