Difficulty routing a Coffee Insanity Ride

I live in Bloomington Indiana and would like to complete the Coffee Insanity ride in December with a friend. This ride would qualify me for the Mile Eater Silver Award. Initially I thought you only had to visit six coffee establishments along with a selfie drinking coffee and the DBR's. I checked again and realized that you must also get a photo of your bike in a city with "coffee" in the name.

The closest town with "coffee" in the name is Coffee, Virginia at 559 miles. This is about perfect when you take into account the extra buffer miles. My concern is having to pass through some mountainous regions in WV and VA. We are experienced riders but when you're on a time crunch and mix in possible ice/snow/salt, it makes me hesitant to map a route that way. We only have time for a 1000/24 ride, otherwise we would have options down in Georgia and Mississippi doing a 1500 ride of some sort.

Here's my question to the powers that be. There are other rides where as long as the word needed is on a DOT street sign, the photo applies. For example, there is a Coffeeville Cove in Memphis TN we could route to. Is this something you would consider? If not, I understand. If needed, we will try to find some other "insanity" ride in order to get the silver award and try for the coffee insanity in the spring.

Thanks!

Russ Black

Premier Member
Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY

Why not try for the BeanBurner Gold - Drink coffee at 4 different perimtted locations - 24 hours(No wildcards permitted)

Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY

Why not try for the BeanBurner Gold - Drink coffee at 4 different perimtted locations - 24 hours(No wildcards permitted)
I'd love to get another BBG under my belt. Although it's a 24-hour challenge, we don't have the extra hours available that the BBG requires due to some family things going on the next day. Keeping this a 1000-mile ride will allow us to get at least 4-5 hours of sleep before we head off again.

If all else fails, we will just do a standard ride and I'll try for silver another year. I still enjoy these regardless.

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Take a look at Hot Coffee, MS. It might fit the bill for you. It was a bonus location I visited in this year's MN2K.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From the ride listing:

Coffee Cup Insanity - Drink coffee at 6 different permitted locations - 24 hours**AND-get a DBR from a city with 'coffee' in it's name (Coffee, California; Coffee Creek, Montana; Coffeeville, Tennessee; etc.). You may drink one of your required cups of coffee in your 'Coffee' city.

You're not getting a DBR in "Coffee", VA because there is nothing there, it doesn't exist, no signage and not an incorporated town/city.

Hot Coffee, MS is also a no go, as the store there, (McDonalds Store), is listed as "permanently closed" and there are no other sources for a DBR there.

Permitted Coffee Locations
Each permitted coffee location must be either:
--Coffee roasting facilities.
--Local Favorites: Usually independent operations with the word "coffee" or "roasters" or similar designations in their name.

EXCEPT FOR YOUR 2 WILDCARD STOPS (best used early morning or overnight) - NO NATIONAL OR BIG CHAINS ARE PERMITTED

Good luck! I wonder who created this ride? Very limited potential, imho.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I know you have this figured out and got your ride done but for anyone who reads this in the future and is looking for good locations may I suggest;
River St Roasters, 34 River St W, Coffeeville, AL 36524

Side note, there is not a Coffeeville, Tennessee that I can find. I have lived here for 40 years and never heard of it. Google has nothing either. There is a Tennessee Street in Coffeeville, Mississippi though. Problem with Coffeeville, MS is there is not much there as not much there for Coffee. A couple of gas stations and what looks like a single restaurant but no coffee shops.

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Keep in mind that while you can stop at a coffee shop in your coffee town it is not a requirement. You just need a dbr from a town with coffee in the name.

Yes but where is the fun in that? :p
If I can combine a location and check two or more boxes I am a happy man.
I would have loved to have also purchased a coffee in "Coffeen", but we would have needed to use a wild card we couldn't spare. We had to use those for the beginning and end of the ride. We did find a nice little place called Michael's about 43 miles south of Coffeen that opened early enough for some brew. The lady was really nice. We told her why we were passing through and she took our photo for their Facebook page. She said she never heard of anything like what we were doing and it was really cool :D

markscott.jpg