DNF SS1K from July on a Honda Rebel 250

RobRoye

IBA Member
I wrote this and posted it to Facebook, and figured I'd post it here just as a thing. As far as I know, only 4 people have an SS cert on a Rebel 250, and I wanted to be (still do) #5. This is the account of the part of my trip I did on the Rebel 250. The picture is the entire trip, but the little leg going from northern Indiana into Missouri and back was my Rebel attempt.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.47.25 AM.png

Now for the story:
2020 Vacation Ride

- Robert Roye

So I wanted to talk just a little about my recent (July 3-4) DNF SS1k on a 2012 Honda Rebel CMX250C. Yes, it is 250cc.

Before you ask - yes. I am an idiot for even trying. Northern Indiana to Texas.

**Times are estimated**

Prep: Added a 2-point windshield that mounted on the handlebar. Added a Pro-Tac backrest. Changed out the rear turn signals from the cheapie LED ones I had to a spare set of Harley Sportster signals with LED inserts. Added a RAM ball with X-Grip and a 2-port USB power outlet (fused with an on/off switch). Added a sticker to the windshield from my previous SS1k. Bought an air cushion to sit on to eliminate vibration thru the seat. Insured my tank bag and tail bag were able to be properly secured in a good location (tied to the hard saddlebag mounts). Loaded up and did a 50 mile test ride.

Plotted route with 'avoiding highways' checked. Plotted fuel locations and food stops.

Start: Started GPS (Google Maps), SWConnect, and Spotify. Went to the 7-11 around the corner and got fuel and photo. Made sure everything was playing properly in the Sena bluetooth. Headed through town to the state highway I was going to use. Adjusted the throttle palm assist to the correct spot and settled in.

One hour in: Came to the understanding that the air cushion was actually amplifying the vibration in the glutes and pulled over to remove it. Jammed it between the backrest and tail bag and continued on.

Two hours in: Made first fuel stop and made sure to get photo. Hydrated (first thing I did on all stops). Tried to find a spot to stow the 'cushion' but was unable to find a good one. Gave cushion away to the guy on the other side of the pump because screw that cushion. Checked the oil on the bike. Continued on.

Four hours in: 2nd fuel stop. Noticed that the discomfort started about 40-50 miles after fuel stop and grew as time went on. Fuel stops are at the 120-125 mile marks, so I needed to figure something out to quell the searing agony. Other than the harmonic vibration in the seat, everything else is going very well. Keeping up with speed limits of 55-65 on state highways. Windshield performing as expected. Backrest a gift from heaven. Checked the oil on the bike. Continued.

Six hours in: 3rd fuel stop. Grabbed a gas station burger at a Casey's (it was surprisingly good) and a candy bar in addition to my bottle of tea. Walked around for about 15 minutes to get the glutes back into some sort of functional state. Made sure I had my baggie of Tums in a handy location in the tank bag (think gas station burger). Checked the oil on the bike. Continued.

7.5 hours in: Made an early gas stop to ease the puddle of pain in my posterior. Grabbed a snack and drink as I walked around to reacquaint myself with my butt. Noticed the windshield had tilted back just a bit. Moved it back into place. Checked the oil. Continued.

9 hours in: Another early gas stop due to pain. By this point all the roads were 65 MPH and since this bike has a 75 MPH top speed it is operating at roughly 90-95% RPM. Every time a cylinder fired, so did a nerve in my nethers. Snack, drink, and about 25-30 minutes of walking around to attempt to salvage what passes for my gluteus. Windshield had tilted back to about 45 degrees and even after tightening it, it still moved, so I left it there. Checked the oil. Continued.

10 hours in: Ouch. Stopped again, but at a Family Dollar (easy to find, as they have one about every 26 feet) and bought a towel to use as padding. Secured using spare bungee. Continued.

11 hours in: Pain. Fuel stop. Towel did not work as cushion, but hey - spare $3 towel. Decided to make this a meal stop and, after checking the oil, went next door to Arby's. Had to call on the phone to order and they brought the food out. Used the opportunity to spark a stogie, figuring on relaxing for the hour or so it takes to enjoy one. Glutes in good shape now feeling energized. Continued.

11.5 hours in: What fresh hell is this?!? I can't feel my legs at this point. I can see them, but that's all. I stop at a gas station and almost drop the bike because my legs didn't want to move. I do some calculations and discover that due to the time it takes to recover on each stop (and with that most likely increasing at each stop), I wasn't going to make my time. Called my friend that was going to be at the endpoint and make a Facebook post to let people know. Called it at 552 miles in. Found a hotel 12 miles away and almost decided to walk, but went ahead and rode.

The next morning: Decided, after talking to a friend back home, to ride back home and change bikes instead of do a total of 3300 miles on the pain machine. Rode home and (after a day to recover a bit) changed over to the 2016 Road Glide Ultra. Did not try for the SS1k due to lingering pain and took the first day back on the road easy.

Did 921 miles in 2 days on the Rebel. About 3300 on the Harley.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good of you to share your experience. Not every SS1K attempt is going to succeed! And it's a positive thing for others to know that. I've had attempt where I just wasn't feeling it and got some sleep and went home. It happens. There is always another day to ride.

CB650F

Premier Member
I have to admit, I like the fact that you called it quits rather than just pushing yourself beyond what you were comfortable with. Knowing when to stop is a good skill to have. Pushing yourself too hard can result in a very bad day, possibly the last. At least you now know what you're up against and can either better prepare, or just stick with the Road Glide. Thanks for posting your experiences.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tough ride RobRoye. Congratulations for giving the SS1000 a crack on the little bike.

If you still have a dream of becoming the #5 Honda Rebel rider to bag a SS cert, can I make a suggestion?

Can you try standing up occasionally on the move? Those forward pegs would be unsuitable, but how about the pillion pegs? You may be also be able to manage one foot on a front peg and one on a pillion peg.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It would be tough to pull your leg up enough to get a foot on the pillion peg with the placement on the early Rebels. But the idea of being able to move around and change position to keep some blood flow going is sound. If there were crash bars/highway pegs, that would be a viable option, though both sets of pegs would still be forward and no real chance to stand up. Cruisers have this issue in general.

Not knowing RR's build/size, the prime issue seemed to be the seat. We all tolerate bad seats differently and clearly this seat wasn't doing well for RR. The other complications are all pretty much due to the seat problem. A simple out and back route with gas stops planned in advance would get the job done in the usual time frame, if the rider can stay on the bike. The Rebel is capable of 65-70 mph, as I understand and has about a 160 mile range before reserve.

The seat actually appears reasonable, but the backrest would prevent you from sliding up and back to stretch or give the butt a different position for a short time. But I'm not a back rest guy. Some love them, others not so much. On this bike, for that ride, I see it as forcing the rider into one position instead of allowing some freedom to move around. Just my take, not having tried a SS on a Rebel. I did just do a 22 hour SS1K on a 150 scooter, so have a clue about little bike SS rides.

I appreciate the well wishes and suggestions.

I did get an engine guard to mount footpegs on, but haven't had time to get it mounted. I want to use it to be able to extend my legs while riding. I have tried using the rear footpegs to change position (fairly easy to reach, but they do make you fold yourself up) to compact the legs by leaning forward a bit and becoming a little ball. Standing on them would be precarious while moving due to the size of the bike. I've stood up at lower speeds, but wouldn't want to at 65. The position I'd be in wouldn't allow for much in the way of control if I hit a pothole or rut.

My current intentions are to have the seat rebuilt using firmer foam and a gel insert (a local company said they can do it for me) and then do a 300-400 mile test ride. If that does the trick, then I'd start the planning phase again. I know I'll need a new route as last time I also hadn't factored in gas stations closing. I'm so used to riding the freeways and having the stations be 24-hour.

The bike itself is actually very comfortable, and the suspension is surprisingly good. Other than the vibration in the seat, I was actually very comfortable. Most people look at me like I'm insane, but I still want to do it. 6 feet tall and 225lbs on a little 16hp 250cc Honda Rebel. Because why not?