Do I need the new spotwalla?

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
First let me say I am getting old and maybe brain cells are dying.
Thanks mostly to Covid and stress at work I have not done a ride in the last 2 years. Now I read about the new Spotwalla and I feel really stupid. In the past I have used Spotwalla and the Bubbler app.
In the future, as a premier rider is Spotwalla going to be required for me to do new rides? I have already done the CC50 and I my age I think I will restart with a simple 1000 mile ride.
Robert

MarkG

Premier Member
Yes you need the Bubbler GPS New, the older app no longer works. Also be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the new.spotwalla.com site. Many of the rides you are encouraged to use Spotwalla for the simplicity of logging and verifying the ride. The IBA premier membership goes a long way toward making it simple and no longer requiring witnesses for the rides, too. Be sure to review the basic rules for documentation before doing another ride it will save a lot of time.

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In the future, as a premier rider is Spotwalla going to be required for me to do new rides?
Here's my take on this.
Short answer, No
Most simple SS1000 rides do not require Spotwalla, but it is usually recommended. There are exceptions, for example, some In-State ride-around rides. If you are doing a specific ride, as listed in the Ride List, it would be best to check the requirements before doing the ride.

But, and there is always a but, a Spotwalla link is required if you submit your ride via the Premier application email.
IBA Premier Ride Application (ironbutt.com)

If you don't wish to use Spotwalla then you can submit via the normal electronic application process, where Spotwalla is not required
Electronic Ride Application (ironbutt.com)
If you use this method then the approval time is much longer and you are not taking full advantage of your Premier membership.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Well, I like the premier submittal process. I visited the new Spotwalla page and found the part about how much it costs to be confusing. In between rides will I be charged? They talk about messages....what messages?
Dumb questions but I have not used Spotwalla since the pandemic started.

nudihjn

Premier Member
Not an expert here, but I believe a message in Spotwalla is a location communication from your tracking device to spotwalla. For example, if spotwalla is tracking/plotting your location every 5 minutes, it gets that information from your tracking device every 5 minutes via a message. That message contains coordinates, speed, source, heading, date, time, etc. So on my account for example, my SPOT tracker has a total of 1645 messages from my SPOT Tracker. Those total messages are over a long period of time & various rides. That is my understanding. On you account, look at the tracker & a column next to it has the total number of messages…

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Well, I like the premier submittal process. I visited the new Spotwalla page and found the part about how much it costs to be confusing. In between rides will I be charged? They talk about messages....what messages?
Dumb questions but I have not used Spotwalla since the pandemic started.
My understanding is that if you deactivate your device between rides SpotWalla will not try to poll it. You just have to remember to activate each time before you take a trip.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 5.58.56 AM.png