Doing a SS1000

Hi all,

A friend of mine wants to do her first Saddle Sore based on the RBLRB 1000 Southern Route counter clockwize but starting down near Southampton so I am tagging along so I can notch up a third and lend a bit of experiance. I checked the route out and it comes in at roughly 1013 miles - a bit close but I could probably have a tinker and get it slightly longer with out too much trouble. We are thinking 2nd to last weekend in August.
Should be a giggle - she is on an unfaiered hoofing big Ducati thing while i have my Uber moped Bugman 650.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
1013 is ok as long as it validates to that distance. Check the receipt points along the way and make sure that the "shortest possible route" between them (as opposed to the route you actually take) adds to to at least 1,000 miles.

Just doing that now. and checking against a sat nav as well as Google maps just in case!
Thanks for the advice, anything more would be welcome as it s my first go at planning one.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
When you've planned your route, post it here with a list of receipt points and timings, together with a note of your tank range. People will chip in with all kinds of criticism and reduce you to tears and fine tune the plan for you.

When you've planned your route, post it here with a list of receipt points and timings, together with a note of your tank range. People will chip in with all kinds of criticism and reduce you to tears and fine tune the plan for you.
Lol, tank range will be the killer for me. Used to having the 200 miles + (with sensible riding ) from the DL1000 and the XT1200. Now a dodgey back has made me move to a maxi scooter life has become 'more interesting'

Last edited:
Current rough route with just the main receipt points. Comes out at just 1008 miles via Google Maps at the shortest route. 90% the same as the RBLR1000 southern route (at 1030), just skipping out Squires (-12 miles) and skipping Brighton (another 9 off). I am now checking against my CoPilot Sat nag as that is easier to set for shortest route

https://goo.gl/maps/sdwiBU9uxV12

OK, here goes the first version.
I am on a 650 Burgman only has a 14lt tank but not being silly should see 140-150 miles between top ups (48-58mpg). My companions bike can easily do 200 miles between stops so no problems there but as it is her first one we will be taking it easy.

Starting from The Elm Tree Inn 1 Swanwick La, Southampton SO31 7DX 05:30

1st Receipt stop at Rownhams Services BP, Horns Drove, Southampton SO16 8AP

11.7 miles in.

Only a short distance in but need the receipt stop purely to force the sat nav this way otherwise it takes us through Southampton. Also gives a chance to resort anything needed on the bikes plus a pee break as we all know what our bladders are like plus top my tank up. Hopefully a quick stop aiming for 06:00 off at the latest

2nd Receipt stop at BP, Sandygate, Exeter EX2 7HF 115 miles in.

Energy bars, stretch and a drink plus loo so a 15-30 minute stop. Arriving about 08:15- 08:30 off at 09:00

Top up tank stop at Esso, 23 M4, Caldicot NP26 3YL

83.1 from last stop, 198.1 miles in. Arriving around 10:20-10:30. 10 minute stop, off at 10:45.

3rd Receipt stop at Tesco Petrol Filling Station, Fenton Trading Estate, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. SA61 1BU, Haverfordwest SA61 1EG.

113 miles from last stop 311.1 in. Arriving 13:00. Another 10 minute break/tank top up and off at 13:15

Another tank top up at Morrisons Petrol Station, UK, 2 Ffordd Parc y Llyn, Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth.

63.9 from last stop, 375 miles in. Should be there about 14:30. Splash and dash off for 14:40

4th Receipt stop at Texaco Service Station Lewis Bryn Llwyd, Caernarfon Rd, Bangor (W) LL57 4SU.

84 from last stop, 459 in total. Should be there for 16:15-16:30. 15 -20 minute break aiming to be off at 17:00

5th Receipt stop at Shell, M62 Eastbound, Brighouse HD6 4JX.

128 miles since the last stop, 587 in total. If I need to I can top up at Birch services at the 100 mile mark but should be good. Aiming to arrive around 19:00. Long stop for a meal etc 1 hour. Depart at 20:00

6th Receipt stop at BP, Holbeach Road, Sutterton, Boston PE20 2LG.

108 miles since last stop, 695 in total. Aiming to arrive 21:45. Splash and dash, off at 22:00

7th Receipt stop at Tesco Petrol Station, Leisure Way, Lowestoft NR32 4TZ

97.6 miles since last stop, 792.6 in total. Aiming to arrive about 23:30

8th Receipt stop at BP Clacket Lane Services M25 West, Titsey, Westerham TN16 2

132 miles since the last stop. 924.6 miles so far. If needed I can splash and dash at Thurrock just before the Thames. Should be there around 02:00

9th Receipt stop and last one at Shell, Eastern Rd, Portsmouth PO6 1UW

71.4 from last stop 996 miles in total. Splash and dash plus a call to the witness that we are nearly there! Arrival time around 03:10. Hope to be off very quick

Finally arrive back were we started at The Elm Tree Inn 1 Swanwick La, Southampton SO31 7DX

11.8 miles from last stop, giving a grand total of 1007.8 and an arrival time of 03:30. Total time 22 hours.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Are you ok for receipts from the Elm Tree when you start and finish as these are your official start and end times?

I am Jay's partner in crime on this adventure. I am planning to track our ride with RealRider app on my phone and Jay and I will have our helmet camera on. Would that be acceptable as well as all the receipts?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
If you replace your Exeter stop with the Shell station on the southbound A38 N50° 39.609' W3° 32.301' A38, Kennford, Exeter EX6 7UD the proof distance goes from 998 to 1011 for an actual mileage increase of approx 5.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I am Jay's partner in crime on this adventure. I am planning to track our ride with RealRider app on my phone and Jay and I will have our helmet camera on. Would that be acceptable as well as all the receipts?
I'm not the expert but I suspect the answer's 'no'.

What would work is using either Bubbler GPS (Android) or SWConnect (iOS) to record a Spotwalla track which would be accepted.

Update.

Adjusted the route so we start and finish at a 24hr petrol station plus is now slightly longer at 1055 miles thus avoiding the 'shortest route' variation that can occure.

New route:
Depart/1st Receipt and witnesses at Tesco Extra Petrol at Whitely, FarehamPO15 7LL
Departing about 05:30

2nd Receipt at Shell 24hrs at Sourton Cross, Okehampton, EX20 4LY
143 miles Expected arrival 08:00. We may stop off at Exeter services if we need to or if I am getting nervous about my fuel tank. 20 minute loo, water and fuel stop

3rd Receipt stop at Tesco Petrol Filling Station, Fenton Trading Estate, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. SA61 1BU, Haverfordwest SA61 1EG.
228 miles for stage, 371 miles total. ETA 11:30/12:00 Aiming for a quick splash and dash at Mangor M4 Services

Another tank top up at Morrisons Petrol Station, UK, 2 Ffordd Parc y Llyn, Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth.

63.9 from last stop, 434 miles in. Should be there about 14:30. Splash and dash off for 14:40

4th Receipt stop at Texaco Service Station Lewis Bryn Llwyd, Caernarfon Rd, Bangor (W) LL57 4SU.

84 from last stop, 518 in total. Should be there for 16:15-16:30. 15 -20 minute break aiming to be off at 17:00

5th Receipt stop at Shell, M62 Eastbound, Brighouse HD6 4JX.

128 miles since the last stop, 644 in total. If I need to I can top up at Birch services at the 100 mile mark but should be good. Aiming to arrive around 19:00. Long stop for a meal etc 1 hour. Depart at 20:00

6th Receipt stop at BP, Holbeach Road, Sutterton, Boston PE20 2LG.

108 miles since last stop, 748 in total. Aiming to arrive 21:45. Splash and dash, off at 22:00

7th Receipt stop at Tesco Petrol Station, Leisure Way, Lowestoft NR32 4TZ

97.6 miles since last stop, 844 in total. Aiming to arrive about 23:30

8th Receipt stop at BP Clacket Lane Services M25 West, Titsey, Westerham TN16 2

132 miles since the last stop. 975 miles so far. If needed I can splash and dash at Thurrock just before the Thames. Should be there around 02:00

9th Receipt and end point back at Tesco Extra Petrol at Whitely, FarehamPO15 7LL
80 miles, 1055 in total. ETA 03:30

If this is shut due to staffing 'issues' there are two further 24hr services we can get to :
2 Bridge Rd, Park Gate, Southampton SO31 6BX
This only add another 2 miles to the route so is not a problem. Hopefully the route should take us around 20 hours as there is a lot of motorway and decent A roads. If the weather is bad then then nearer to 22 hours

Sounds good to me! ;) Just ordered cycling shorts with gel pads to wear under my Kevlar as new bike seat is not comfortable at all. :D

Last edited:

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sounds good to me! ;) Just ordered cycling shorts with gel pads to wear under my Kevlar as new bike seat is not comfortable at all. :D
Take some pain killers with you too. Handy not only for sore butts but also for aching necks, wrists, knees etc. It's not surprising how being sat in one position for 20 odd hours can create aches in places you didn't think of :)

Ride done and in at around 23 hours and a bit and we managed to stay dry. Just sorting all the paperwork out. Route wise, not as good as the northern RBLR1000. Mostly Motorway/dual carriageway/ good A roads but is countered by the rather nice part riding up the coast of Wales and not having to ride 255 miles to get to Squires. Maz did well for her first time though by the end I think she would have preferred the comfort of the Burgman over the power of the Ducati !

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well done both. Lots of traffic or stops ;)

On my first one I stopped too much (to take nice photos) and for too long. Finished in 23.5 hours :rolleyes: