Dont know exactly what to do

Getting a group of guys in Oklahoma to do an Iron Butt Run . I already have 1 patch but would love to get alot more. I want it to be legit that away these bikers can get their certification and patch could use some help maybe a contact number. What all I need to do as an organizer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
We have discontinued the group ride program for the time being, so each of the riders will need to document their ride as though they were doing it solo.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
There's not really anything for you to do as an "organizer", because at the end of the day each individual rider is responsible for documenting their own ride. The most you can do is provide guidance on where they can find the rules and help them ensure that they're following the rules.

Not trying to kill your enthusiasm to help, but it bears mentioning that IBA rides aren't a collective effort. It's not so much "doing it as a team" as it is "a bunch of individuals doing the same thing at the same time".

So my advice is to give them the link to the ride rules, and stress to them that each rider is 100% responsible for getting 100% of the documentation done 100% correctly if they want their efforts certified.

(EDIT: I see that Ira posted as I was typing this. Ira's word is basically the final word on anything IBA related, in case you didn't know who he was.)

There's not really anything for you to do as an "organizer", because at the end of the day each individual rider is responsible for documenting their own ride. The most you can do is provide guidance on where they can find the rules and help them ensure that they're following the rules.

Not trying to kill your enthusiasm to help, but it bears mentioning that IBA rides aren't a collective effort. It's not so much "doing it as a team" as it is "a bunch of individuals doing the same thing at the same time".

So my advice is to give them the link to the ride rules, and stress to them that each rider is 100% responsible for getting 100% of the documentation done 100% correctly if they want their efforts certified.

(EDIT: I see that Ira posted as I was typing this. Ira's word is basically the final word on anything IBA related, in case you didn't know who he was.)
So if all of us or just a few decide to after the 24 hour decide to do the 1500 in 36 . I understand we need to forms to turn in . My question is , is it a double fee or just a the normal cost.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
That's called "nesting rides", and to be honest I'm not 100% clear myself how those rules work.

@Ira - Can you weigh in on this?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The second certificate is an additional $20. Be sure to obtain a receipt at the 1,000-mile/24-hour mark to show you completed the SS1K within the time limit. Include a note with your submission that you want both certificates.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cat herding is hard. Consider being the motivational speaker at the start, making sure everyone has their witness forms or knows what to do with photo capturing their receipts with their odo, and has practiced doing that prior to the ride, remember you can't witness each other, so if you're doing it old school on paper with witness forms, (arguably simpler for a group), make sure they know they can get the odo witness the night before you start.

At the start gas station you choose, double check that everyone has their forms signed for odo verification on the start odo. Doesn't matter if they did it the night before or at the gas station, but make sure no one forgot. Remind them all to get and keep their receipts!

After that, honestly, don't see them again until you get to the finish gas station. You are not a group. Do NOT stop because someone else needs a rest stop or gas when you don't. Do NOT linger at gas stations talking about the ride or you increase your chances of not finishing it.

Reinforce with your group at the start that it's a solo challenge. Stay focused, stop for gas, get gas, get receipt, get GOING. And it's HOT out there. Hydrate or DIE. Getting dehydrated means your brain is slowing down and you make poor decisions. A lot of small sips is much better than big drinks at gas stops. If you think about drinking, take a drink, that's your body telling you it needs the fluids.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
My first SS1000 was done thru the Motorcycle Touring Forum group a long time ago.

It was a gathering of riders, all doing the same route and doing the same corner stops. Other incidental stops were ours to figure out. Rules, route and other documentation was sent to us prior to the ride start.

Since I got there right as the ride window opened, the Ride Coordinator (who DOES NOT RIDE THAT DAY) sent me out as soon as the paperwork was completed. It was only then did I learn that the two guys that were coordinating that effort had ridden the route a week earlier, basically proving the validity of all of the stops required along the way. The other two bikes made it, but the thunderstorms I managed to ride thru stopped the others for the better part of an hour.

Yeah, I don't think I would have ever really gotten involved if it was some sort of 'stay together as a group' type of ride.

I wish you and the group success on your upcoming ride!

The second certificate is an additional $20. Be sure to obtain a receipt at the 1,000-mile/24-hour mark to show you completed the SS1K within the time limit. Include a note with your submission that you want both certificates.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
i am soo sorry to latch on this thread but i can't find the email to send my ride in for verification. Can you please post that or put in my message