Double-stacking Sport3 Bags

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
The pictures really say it all...the bottom bag was filled with large cushions to stuff it as much as possible. The top bag was filled with tools, camping stove and cookware, and a bunch of other heavy stuff.

75 miles at 80mph on the interstate with no issues other than the cushions compressing a bit, which made the top bag lean a little, but was never close to coming off or loose.

The red fuel can is a 3-gallon RotoPax fuel can. Empty at the time.

Though I crossed the two straps in the back, I think next time I would run them straight down.

The orange straps are just cinch straps from HF and attached around the handrail of the bike and the bottom loop of the Sport3 bag straps.

I used the base plate from Maple's fuel cell setup, along with some custom parts to extend the stock luggage rack and add the backrest that holds the fuel can and water jug (the line for the jug wasn't attached for this test).

Attachments

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You may want to do another test with full load of water/fuel/actual luggage full of what ever you plan on packing, and full saddlebags. You may find that the weight shift will impact steering stability, especially at speed.

Is there some particular reason or event you're intending with such a load?

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
OK, so I rode 930 miles through east TN, NC, SC, GA, before returning home. I don't recall the wind being an issue during the ride. I didn't cross the streams straps for the top bag as in the picture and instead, I brought them straight down, which worked a whole lot better. I didn't use the 3-gallon fuel can; I carried the 1-gallon can as I normally would. Speeds were between 80 and 85mph.

The top bag was mostly clothes, PH items, and some other miscellaneous stuff, so not too heavy. The bottom bag was fairly heavy, though. Each side case was loaded to capacity, volume-wise.

At each stop, each strap was checked, and nothing loosened; the bags did not shift.

Overall, I would call this a total success. I won't be riding packed like this all the time, but I now know I can expand my carrying capacity.