Doubts of a newbee

First of all, I place this message here as I have understood that being in EU, any certification or definition comes from the benelux team. If I am wrong and this message should go in other place please move it or tell me where to post.

To introduce myself, I am an Spanish experienced biker. I use to run 20-25K kms per year, half made in long to very long routes usually including one summer trip to different countries. My current bike is a Triumph Speedmaster 1200.

I have heared about these challenges lately. My actual record is slightly under 1000 kms in one single day trip, and I would like to try more, now I have known of your group.

I am probably going to try my first SS1600 early next summer (to get the advantage of more sun hours right near the solstice). Studying the chance to go straight to the BB as all my "nice routes" will end far from home.

Appart of already watched at docs, with plans to reread and soon start a process of training and preparing, I have a couple doubts.

First is regarding the mileage measurement itself. In the rules it is set that proof comes from pictures of odometer and receipts, but I have to be aware of odometers not necessarily being exact and can be rebated by a google maps examination. The docs even mention supposedly japanese odometers to be overmeasured - a fact that sounds weird to me, owned a Honda and a Kawasaki and they were pretty exact on counting distance.

I feel that important. Specially due to the fact I have to point finish on a gas station, and when you have 1600 kms in your back, moving 20 or 30 kms more than needed to be sure not to fail, and have to do in an open gas station... sounds not too good. Iguess 1600 kms is enoght not to say "OK, let's keep the bike moving half an hour more to be sure"

I have a GPS tracker in my bike, pretty exact. can it be used as proof? How "strict" are those things - what if my odometer marks 1620 kms, but a route tracing at google maps from exact points at some moment says 1590?

Second I do not find too many related experiencies. Something like people telling about how they organized the trip, how many stops, time organisation. I understand everyone is different but maybe there are best rithms. Or am i missing the place to look?

final doubt is more being curious (i guess too late to change whatever :)). I understand the origin is the USA measures: 1000 and 1500 miles.

1000 miles comes exactly to be 1609 kms. So... rounded down to 1600 - makes sense.
But 1500 miles comes to be 2414 kms. Looks like the logical and proportional round should be 2400kms. So why BB2500? :D

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@jesus malaga - Welcome to the forum. Nice introduction.

Regarding your doubts: Yes, you will submit pictures with your odometer and receipts, but it's not the odometer the IBA is looking at for distance traveled, they will use the locations on the receipts to plot your route to verify the distance on several mapping software programs. Often including Google Maps. The odometer is more of a linear reference. It helps to spot obvious errors like a picture out of sequence. Or a submission not in good faith. The actual odo value will not be directly used for your distance verification.

It is a good idea to give yourself a 5% buffer on the total kilometers of your route. That helps to ensure that small errors don't end up placing you under the kilometer figure you are aiming for. You seem to appreciate this already. :)

If you build a route with Google Maps based upon where you intend to do your fuel stops and it cuts a corner, you likely should add another receipt location to make the route follow your intended route, thus ensuring the receipts will document your actual route and there will be no questions about the kms ridden. Remember that a DBR does not have to be for fuel, it can be any computer generated receipt with the required information on it. An ATM receipt, (just checking your balance will usually allow a receipt), often works. Even a candy bar or other snack purchased that gives you a computer generated receipt will work if all the info is correct.

Submissions of GPS tracking devices can be helpful if there are questions about your route. By itself, it is usually not considered "proof". The receipts are the proof. The start and finish are most important and should not have any errors. The intermediate receipts show your route. While preferred that there are no errors on those, small errors like a time discrepancy can be written in if need be. Try to check for all the correct info before you leave, in case you need a second receipt. Spotwalla is a very useful tool to link your GPS tracking unit to and allows you to insert your odo/receipt photos directly into the GPS track. Spotwalla is compatible with many different GPS tracking devices, including some cellular based apps.

There are some write ups here about riders doing SS1K, SS1600 and other rides. Poke around and you will find them. You may also find it useful to read through the info under the basic IBA SS1K ride info HERE. And don't forget the 26 tips HERE.

In general, each ride is unique to the rider and their machine. How many stops depends on your fuel range and your comfort/fatigue level. The limiting factor being the need to get a DBR, (Dated Business Receipt), every 350 miles. Beyond that many riders average around 18-20 hours to ride a SS1600Km ride. There is no extra bonus for doing it in less than 24 hours. You have a full 24 hours from your start receipt. Many riders will tell you that it's not the time riding that you need to watch, but rather the time stopped that you should pay close attention to. It is much easier to minimize your stopped time than to make up time riding.

Practice your routine at fuel stops and do it the same way every time to avoid mistakes. This can include which side of the fuel pump you stop on, where you keep your credit card for fuel, if you need to remove gloves, etc.

I can't answer your last question. My guess is that since a BB2500Km started as a BB1500 ride, the intent is that it be at least 1500 miles.

cjmckay

Premier Member
A word of warning....
The SS1600K requires you to ride 1610km NOT 1600 (refer RULES) - it is a technical peculiarity...
Plenty of certified ride reports HERE (yes, these are for Australia...) to give you an 'after the fact' idea although ride planning quite a rider-centric activity.
I understand your confusion regarding DBRs vs FUEL receipts - especially when the rules are written as:
'STEP TWO: Collect, photograph and track FUEL receipts - THIS STEP IS CRITICAL!'
then goes on to say:
'Your ride starts from the location of your first computer generated receipt (preferably fuel)'

For the BB2500K - its 2500K as per the rules (you are looking for logic where none is required...)

Good luck....

EddyC

IBA Member
Well, I can respond by pointing you to the IBA Benelux site and look at the procedures of getting your ride certified in the correct manner:
(https://www.ibabenelux.org/index.php/en/rides-rules-en/iba-documents-en). That is somewhat important.

Presuming you start your ride in the south of Spain, I would not ride in daytime in summer too much.
You might get a heat stroke or dehydrate, but I guess you are aware of that.
I think the secret of success lies in time management. Try to find a comfortable procedure to handle your stops but do not waste precious time.
For myself, I use a time table within my ride is planned. That way I know if I am on schedule, early or late. I make sure I have plenty of reserve time.
Practice and time your stops. Find a way to save time!

Also, I use two gps devices. The "main" gps shows the entire route (to have an idea where I am at that moment) and stays untouched.
The entire route is also devided into sub-routes: from start to the first stop is f.i. route 01-02. From the first to the second stop is route 02-03 etc.
Those different sub-routes are shown on the second gps and are (for me) much easier to follow during the ride. In case of a detour one could mess around with the second gps, where the "main" gps stays on the "main" route.

That brings us to the next item: what if...?
What if your gps brakes down, your credit/debet cards are lost, stolen or damaged? What if you run a flat, ride hopelessly lost or get sick.
How do you handle being in an accident and are alone far from home (it happened to me in Danmark)?
Think about what could go wrong and think of a plan to avoid those mishaps or a way to overcome the situation.

Stay in touch with the home front. Let them know where you are on a regular basis, you won't feel so alone and they don't have to worry.
A short WhatsApp message and sending your location does not take a lot of time.

I also carry an emergency card (multiple) containing my emergency information.
In case of an incident/accident that information is handy for yourself and/or police/medical personnel.
Know the specifics of your insurance/assistance company. Do they provide free towing...?

One more tip: make a "to do" procedure list for handling your stops and follow that every time.
That way you won't forget anything (take the picture or retrieve your bank card...).
You might find that usefull when you become tired at the end of your ride and might have difficulties to concentrate your thoughts.

And most important of all: enjoy yourself!

Best of luck,
Ed.

Russ Black

Premier Member
The main reason you practice and do things such as keeping your wallet in the same pocket is to develop muscle memory. There are several things that can occur that extend the amount of time at a fuel stop that you need to plan for and practice. 1. The printer at the pump is out of paper or is broken requiring you to go inside to get one. 2. Do you need to use the restroom. 3. Is the restroom already occupied and you have to wait. 4. Are you getting something to drink or eat? 5. Do you need to look at the GPS to figure out which way to go from there. 6. Wind and rain blowing effecting your ability to get a good clear photo of your receipt next to your odo.

Presuming you start your ride in the south of Spain, I would not ride in daytime in summer too much.
You might get a heat stroke or dehydrate, but I guess you are aware of that.
jejejeje - that part I bolded is somehow funny.

I guess for northern guys weather and sun can look dangerous, but not so bad at all. And less speaking about "south".

In fact the higher temperatures here are got usually not at the start but at the end of summer. And in fact it is in north-center area of spain where the are higher. You will not suffer real high heat when I ride in summer in the south, but when you go to the areas arround Madrid and Zaragoza :D:D

As I started I am done to do many kilometres in my bike. I have visited 7 countries (soon to be 8... in a few weeks we will cross morocco north to south) and while I travel I have two phones, a GPS navigator, and that GPS tracker I mentioned (it is permanently hidden in the bike, main use is for security on robbery or parking impacts).

And I have in fact two travel assistance contracted services - one is better in Spain and the other when I go to other countries.

Long routes are not (fortunately I guess) new for me. The change is making two jurneys into one :D

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
1000 miles comes exactly to be 1609 kms. So... rounded down to 1600 - makes sense.
But 1500 miles comes to be 2414 kms. Looks like the logical and proportional round should be 2400kms. So why BB2500?
Because both 16 and 25 are perfect squares?

√24 = 4.8989794

√25 = 5
√1000 (miles) = 31.623
√1500 (miles) = 38.73
√1610 (true kms needed) = 40.125

i doubt maths has much to do in this... someone saying "round down or round up?" and other answering "better round up, its a record no need to make it easy" a much more logical reason. :D:D

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
√1000 (miles) = 31.623
√1500 (miles) = 38.73
√1610 (true kms needed) = 40.125

i doubt maths has much to do in this... someone saying "round down or round up?" and other answering "better round up, its a record no need to make it easy" a much more logical reason. :D:D
Do you understand what is a "perfect square"? Do you know also what is a joke?

EddyC

IBA Member
I could be mistaken, but a loooooong time ago, I was thought that

√24 = also -4.8989794

√25 = also -5

So, back to the drawing table, or as they say: "back to square one?"

Hehe ;-)

Ed

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I could be mistaken, but a loooooong time ago, I was thought that

√24 = also -4.8989794

√25 = also -5

So, back to the drawing table, or as they say: "back to square one?"

Hehe ;-)

Ed
:p

That does not negate the fact that 25 is a perfect square and 24 is not. ;)

Do you understand what is a "perfect square"? Do you know also what is a joke?
You did not "sound" joking. Sorry for not understanding, but next time you could maybe add some smily - they exist just because on a written message it is hard to see different between a serious message and a joke ;) Like now :p

Martien

Premier Member
hi Jesus, welcome from the North of Europe ;)

I've done 23 IBA rides over the last 5 years all over Europe, both in miles and km, because we can do both, and on average I've done 5% extra on every distance ridden. I always plan from fueling stop tot fueling stop, starting and ending close to home normally. For planning I use Google and MyRoute App (www.myrouteapp.com). I normally ride with two nav. devices, a phone for the DBR pictures, a couple of different debit and credit cards, and two Spotwalla trackers, to have backup of most crucial items.

So depending on your bike's range every 200-300 km normally, around every two hours. On a SS this gives you some time to get some coffee or a little rest, not on a BBG, there you really need to minimize the time stopped, specially the BBG 2500K is very challenging (>3% extra distance than the BBG1500 in 24 hours)! Best advice I ever got was "Plan the ride, ride the plan", and include some flexibility and reserve fueling stop because there will be surprises on every ride. :rolleyes:

Eric and Eddy have answered all questions very well before, so just my local 2c to add...

I've done 23 IBA rides over the last 5 years all over Europe, both in miles and km, because we can do both, and on average I've done 5% extra on every distance ridden. I always plan from fueling stop tot fueling stop, starting and ending close to home normally. For planning I use Google and MyRoute App (www.myrouteapp.com). I normally ride with two nav. devices, a phone for the DBR pictures, a couple of different debit and credit cards, and two Spotwalla trackers, to have backup of most crucial items.
Wow, 23 rides in 5 years looks like a lot of effort :eek:

I would like to clear that part I bolded... you mean I can ride looking after the distance in miles in Spain, and accomplish a BB1500 certificate? :rolleyes:

I supposed here we have to measure in kilometres, and get to the K rides. That's something to have in mind, as the almost 100 kms, near one hour distance between both versions can make the difference between being or not being...

Martien

Premier Member
Wow, 23 rides in 5 years looks like a lot of effort :eek:

I would like to clear that part I bolded... you mean I can ride looking after the distance in miles in Spain, and accomplish a BB1500 certificate? :rolleyes:

I supposed here we have to measure in kilometres, and get to the K rides. That's something to have in mind, as the almost 100 kms, near one hour distance between both versions can make the difference between being or not being...
Yes, you can apply for both miles and kilometres certificates from IBA Benelux, so if you ride >2415 km you can request a BB1500 certificate. A Gold level if you did it in under 24 hours, Silver for less than 30 hours or normal in less than 36 hours.

I do advise you to start with an SS1000/1600K first, the BB is challenging!

I do advise you to start with an SS1000/1600K first, the BB is challenging!
Really?

If I do my numbers, I get to the fact that unless you drive overspeed (what is both unlegal and unsafe), there is no realistic way to get the SS1600K in less than 18-20 hours.

My measure is if I am able to keep an average speed of 110 km/h. Even this average is not easy unless you use only highway roads, and not using second level roads would hardly reduce the route options. Adding 20% time to rest (10-15 minutes per hour) and have drink/food that would mean 18 exact hours. If there runs perfect, and my experience is perfection is the exception in long routes...

That means even near the summer solstice in spain 6-8 hours of experience will have to driven nightly (adding extra fatigue for low light and probably timing troubles because of many services closed)

If I divide the trip in one section of 1400 kms + one section of 1000-1100, I change it to be 15-16 hours first stage (most daylight), then sleep 6-7 hours, then second stage with margin to cover in 12 hours.

At least my calculations look like correct. ¿What am I missing?