Ducati Multistrada Auxiliary Fuel Cell

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It took quite a while to take whats been stewing in my noggin' and build in "Real Life". Here is a look at my result. Many thanks to everyone on the old forum, this new forum and google. Front Tank capacity 5.3 gallons. Rear Aux Tank capacity 4 gallons. Quite a bit less than the max 11.5. But this is Version 1! Fuel pump assisted, solenoid controlled all powered by a single momentary switch tied to an off delay relay. Relay is set at 8.5 minutes; actual tests dictated that time.

Updated Pics Below

This is how it all started, a cardboard to scale model. A few tweaks here and there.

Updated Pics Below

Last edited:

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the comment Biquer. This was my first ever attempt at working with metal. I cut everything out with a DeWalt grinder. Luckily work hd an old brake that I used for making all my bends.

This is a view from underneath. The front is faced down on the table, backside is up. When finished the sumped area is toward the front/left. All the void area here is where I mounted my tubing, 100 micron fuel filter, fuel pump and shut-off valve.

Updated Pics Below

This is a view looking down from the top, inside the actual fuel area. Again the you are able to see the sumped area. Here you can also see the baffles before I cut holes in them.

Updated Pics Below

This is where I handed it off to the welder. You are looking inside the tank, front and sides are removed.

Updated Pics Below

Mounting it up.... Please disregard the mix up with the welder. He was under the impression to locate it in one corner, I needed it in the opposite. Obvious reasons for someone who rides.

Last edited:

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hard to get a decent pic underneath the tank but here goes.

In the top left of the pic here is the 3/8" stainless tubing coming from the sumped portion of the tank, you might be able to see the ground lug also. The tubing goes from there into the Holley 100 micron filter.

Updated Pics Below

Pictured here is the 3/8" stainless tubing offsetting up to enter the Holley 32GPH fuel pump. After exiting the pump the fuel travels in 1/4" rubber fuel tubing.

Updated Pics Below

Here you can see the tip-over valve/vent on top just behind the filler tube. If you look closely you can see at the lower right corner of the tank is my manual shut-off valve. From this valve the tubing dives underneath the bikes plastics. Then reemerges toward the front at a quick disconnect before the solenoid valve. From there it heads into the front tank, no pic. Both my fuel pump and solenoid operate from the same off-delay relay.

Last edited:
Ron, that is one nice setup. Both the bike and the aux tank look fantastic. The black TT panniers really look great also. Nice work and thanks for posting it

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Biquer, just got back from doing a little shake down. It was my intention early to use a pump. I figured if in the end I didn't need the pump and gravity worked, I could then remove the pump and tube it straight thru.

As the shake down commenced all went well with the pump. In my next outing I will go strictly gravity and see if it works as well.

Thanks for the compliments; Rodney, Ox and Neanderthal.

mess533

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Couple valuable lessons learned. I'm not sure where I read it but be sure to throw a filter on your aux tank vent. never know what you'll pull up that line when the tank goes into vacuum. Same goes for the front tank. I removed the charcoal canister, CA emission? In removing that I removed the check valve associated with it. I've since re-routed the vent tubing and installed a check in line. went with a 1/3 PSI, little less than 10"WC, again just so i don't pull anything back in to the front tank. It also releases any pressure built up by pushing the fuel forward with a pump.

Ron, I have a 2015 DVT and am interested in your aux tank build. Unfortunately Photobucket locked out your images (same happened to me).

I had an aux tank on a BMW F800GS which was gravity fed into the main tank through the vent tube.

How is your aux tank plumbed into the main Multistrada fuel tank? Is it through a vent or did you have to install your own fitting into the tank?