E2E SS 1000 in the UK query

Dear all

I'm planning a SS 1000 in the UK from John o groats to lands end via other points such as Gordano services on the M5 & Clacket Lane services on the M25, making the total ride distance at least 1,000 miles.

My query is regarding the getting start and end fuel receipts. I'm unable to find a 24 hours fuel station at both ends and they are not open during my riding hours. What should I do?

In plan to start from John o groats at 4 am and finish at 12 am at lands end. Hope it's possible.

But 25 miles from both points I can find 24 hours fuel station. Should I start and finish accordingly?

Thank you

LenJ

Old Bike/New bike? All ok.
IBA Member
Have a look at https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/certifiedrides.php

All the info is there for the UK rides.

Specifically re your question, Any computer receipt with the correct time, date and location will do. If you arrive/set off out of hours you can get receipts from Wick and Penzance and a certain amount of time + mileage is added by the verifier, the exact amount is in the ride info. There is a 24hr Tesco in Wick where you can get your start receipt/petrol. I'm always a little nervous relying on unmanned petrol stations for receipts, but at least there is also an atm as an alternative. Similar at Penzance.

Thank you. Happy to know that verifier add up the distance accordingly. I will use the Tesco 24 hours at both ends which are closer to end points, wick and Penzance.
I'm planning to do this during max day hours, in last week of July.
Those who have done this route can help me with necessary info please.
Would this ride be categorised as E2E gold or SS 1000?

LenJ

Old Bike/New bike? All ok.
IBA Member
Having just read the info on the UK site I get a nasty feeling that it won't be suitable as a first ride -

"This is classed as an EXTREME ride so only those who've already completed a SaddleSore 1000 or equivalent may attempt it."

I would recommend emailing Philip Weston the UK President on [email protected] for clarification as it would be a shame to do it and not get verified.

Firstpeke

Given that you need to do a SS1000 for a first ride and the E2E gold is just that, I can't see that being rejected.... just submit it as a SS1000!!!
Bizarrely if you submitted it as a Gold ride without first doing a SS1000 then technically as it currently reads, it could be rejected!

The soon to be deleted E2E, is 851 miles and does not qualify as a first ride...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Given that you need to do a SS1000 for a first ride and the E2E gold is just that, I can't see that being rejected.... just submit it as a SS1000!!!
Bizarrely if you submitted it as a Gold ride without first doing a SS1000 then technically as it currently reads, it could be rejected!

The soon to be deleted E2E, is 851 miles and does not qualify as a first ride...
The prerequisite requirement is there for a reason. Namely, too many folks were attempting the more extreme rides as their first IBA certificate ride and ended up biting off more than they could chew. So I would recommend doing an easier SS1K as your first certificate ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Firstpeke

I understand your comment Ira but the E2EGold is exactly the same time and distance requirement as the SS1000, the only difference being the specific route requirements for Gordano and Clackett Lane services…. A quirk due to the soon to be removed E2E which is only 851 miles…. I suspect the E2EGold will change once the shorter is retired, requiring a slightly longer distance for an E2EGold in the UK.
I’m sure Phil will post regarding this situation.

Firstpeke

If you are doing a current E2E Gold via Clacket Lane services and going south to do this, depending on the time of day you get down to central Scotland, I would recommend M74, M6, A66, A1, M25 clockwise, Clacket westbound, M4 to M5 then Gordano.

This would be quicker than A1 around via Berwick due to lower speed limits for a lot of those roads.... also, nobody pulls out of side roads on the motorway.... as they did on me, multiple times, on the A1.... despite me having a white bike with angel eye DRL's, dipped headlight and lower spotlights.... Oh they looked, right at me, then they just pulled right out.
One or two of them then had the brass neck to be annoyed at me for daring to go main beam and press my horn as I rode by at 60.....

Oh and....
Don't take the sat nav recommended route through Bracknell to cut the corner to the M4... I did and got taken down side streets and even an attempted no through road...
So much for Garmin lifetime maps.....

However, of course, YEMV.

If you are doing a current E2E Gold via Clacket Lane services and going south to do this, depending on the time of day you get down to central Scotland, I would recommend M74, M6, A66, A1, M25 clockwise, Clacket westbound, M4 to M5 then Gordano.

This would be quicker than A1 around via Berwick due to lower speed limits for a lot of those roads.... also, nobody pulls out of side roads on the motorway.... as they did on me, multiple times, on the A1.... despite me having a white bike with angel eye DRL's, dipped headlight and lower spotlights.... Oh they looked, right at me, then they just pulled right out.
One or two of them then had the brass neck to be annoyed at me for daring to go main beam and press my horn as I rode by at 60.....

Oh and....
Don't take the sat nav recommended route through Bracknell to cut the corner to the M4... I did and got taken down side streets and even an attempted no through road...
So much for Garmin lifetime maps.....

However, of course, YEMV.
Cheers brother. I reached John of groats and staying here for night and plan to start from here at 3am on 6th Saturday.
The plan is to take customary photo at both ends.
Could you help me with exact location where to take photos at these places?

Then ride to wick Tesco for fuel bill and continue as you said towards clacket lane services.

Firstpeke

I have been away picking up a new bike and just got to this....

The answer is that I park my bike next to the sign near the signpost at JOG, there is a sign on the wall that I am sure you will have scoped out which is conveniently placed to park and pic!

Lands End, will I park at the entrance to the "Landmark Resort" shops with the big sign above it!

If it's dark, I point the bike at it and stand back to get the shot!
Examples attached.

Attachments

I have been away picking up a new bike and just got to this....

The answer is that I park my bike next to the sign near the signpost at JOG, there is a sign on the wall that I am sure you will have scoped out which is conveniently placed to park and pic!

Lands End, will I park at the entrance to the "Landmark Resort" shops with the big sign above it!

If it's dark, I point the bike at it and stand back to get the shot!
Examples attached.
thank you so much for all of your support. please see my ride report in the UK section and say a few words there. Thank you again.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I understand your comment Ira but the E2EGold is exactly the same time and distance requirement as the SS1000, the only difference being the specific route requirements for Gordano and Clackett Lane services…. A quirk due to the soon to be removed E2E which is only 851 miles…. I suspect the E2EGold will change once the shorter is retired, requiring a slightly longer distance for an E2EGold in the UK.
I’m sure Phil will post regarding this situation.
You do not need to go to Gordano or Clackett Lane services for this ride. The only requirement for an E2E gold over an E2E is the distance to be covered.

It was originally classified as a Gold ride due to the poor road links at either end. The standard of these has improved over recent years. The last or first 115 miles into or out of JoG are still excellent single carriageway biking roads with a maximum speed limit of 60 mph (out of residential areas). This coupled with the 100 plus miles between Inverness and Perth with mix of single and dual carriageway also limits progress. It is therefore likely that riders will find this ride more challenging than 1000 miles on motorway class roads. This appears to be reflected in the 1250 mile minimum distance requirement next year for the New Gold Standard E2E ride.