European breakdown cover ..Who uses what and why

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just discovered my European breakdown cover has reduced its level of cover to nothing more than picking me and the bike up and delivering to the nearest bike repair shop within a ten mile radius. Thats it, but if i need to get home i will have to sort myself out.
The cover on the BMW remains excellent but on this its not good enough.
Im looking for full repatriation with the bike if it cant be sorted quickly.
What is everyone using and how much do you expect to pay at renewal

Last edited:
When I broke down on the Saville RTE a few years ago I belive I used these people and they done me proud.

http://www.eurobreakdown.com/vehicles/motorbikes.aspx

Mind you I was on a Honda!!!
The first time we travelled abroad on the bike I didn't take out any cover and you guessed it the gearbox blew up at motorway speed in Northern France, it cost me £400 to get home from 40 miles the other side of Calais. Since then I've taken out get me home insurance every time with Eurobreakdown sods law but thankfully I've never had to call on their comprehensive cover, but I've no doubt they would deliver me and my ride home safe and sound.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
For the first European Tour, I took out the breakdown cover offered by MAG; thankfully, I didn't need it. I think it was £25 MAG membership, and European breakdown cover was only another £50. However, it didn't cover all European countries - there were several around the Balkans that weren't included. Worth a look.

Regards,
Martin

Yeti

IBA Member
I use a company called Start Rescue, breakdown and recovery, including European cover for £54.90 a year, but I do own a Honda :)
They also do short term European cover, but I figured at £54 for 31 days, I might as well pay for a year.
If anyone's interested, I'll look for my policy documents to find out which countries are covered.

Edit:
Countries covered:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Balearics, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Isles, Corsica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Sicily, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey (West of Bosphorus) and Vatican City.

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
I use a company called Start Rescue, breakdown and recovery, including European cover for £54.90 a year, but I do own a Honda :)
They also do short term European cover, but I figured at £54 for 31 days, I might as well pay for a year.
If anyone's interested, I'll look for my policy documents to find out which countries are covered.
Thanks for the response guys...
Yeti i looked at Start Rescue but they were one of the companies that did no more than dump you within 10 miles of the breakdown at a bike shop (open or not at the time). Maybe you got better cover so ill have a look again.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the response guys...
Yeti i looked at Start Rescue but they were one of the companies that did no more than dump you within 10 miles of the breakdown at a bike shop (open or not at the time). Maybe you got better cover so ill have a look again.
Start Rescue.. Lots of Exclusions
This is a main one I see you may be interested

Exclusions: Applying to all sections unless otherwise stated:
This insurance does not cover the following: -

Additional exclusions applying to the European Assistance
1. Service where repatriation costs exceed the market value of the vehicle.
2. The cost of recovery from a European motorway exceeding £150.00.
3. Repatriation to the UK within 48 hours of the original breakdown, regardless of ferry or tunnel bookings for the homebound journey or pre arranged appointments you have made within the UK.
4. Repatriation if the vehicle can be repaired, but you do not have adequate funds for the repair.
5. Any claim where the duration of a single trip is planned to or subsequently exceeds 90 days.\

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I have just bought Vehicle Rescue Direct policy called Rescue Plus Europe; here is what I get:

http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/uk-breakdown-cover.php

It was £73.50 and the lowest cost I could find for the level of cover. I did get one year RAC cover from Triumph but they wanted double this for the cover I have with Vehicle Rescue Direct.

Hopefully I will never have to find out how good this cover is!

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have just bought Vehicle Rescue Direct policy called Rescue Plus Europe; here is what I get:

http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/uk-breakdown-cover.php

It was £73.50 and the lowest cost I could find for the level of cover. I did get one year RAC cover from Triumph but they wanted double this for the cover I have with Vehicle Rescue Direct.

Hopefully I will never have to find out how good this cover is!

Just read the policy and it looks good ... I'm going to do some number crunching and comparisons for next year .. Thanks Dave for posting it for John ..

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Friends of ours away for the day off the bike he fell down some steps medically he was covered but as it did not happen on the bike and nothing was wrong with the bike He had to be flown home, and could not walk for about 3 months it was that bad his insurance would not recover the bike or his wife who was pillion he had to pay out over£500 to get bike home and his wife flown home so make sure your covered away from the bike just in case you fall over

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
Many of these policies are underwritten by the same companies who know exactly how to word them so that you feel your covered until you actually need to claim on them.
As an example my insurance policy for one of my motorcycles states that if my bike is stolen within 150 yds from my house and it was not in my locked garage there will be zero payout (not insured).
This regardless of the time of day. So if i wash my bike on the drive its uninsured if i leave it to dry or perhaps go around the back of the house to where i turn my water hose on or even go for a p*** and some git nicks it.
I cant leave my bike on the drive period.
Only by reading the (7 pages of get out clauses) policy documents do you get to realize this.
Breakdown insurance is just the same in many cases. Recovery of you and your bike doesnt get you home or anywhere near unless it actually states that in the small print .Mine takes me 10 miles from pickup to anyone who claims to be a mechanic then your on your own.
Sorry to rant on but you do feel :mad: sometimes.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Interesting; Last year I got an insurance offer from Aviva which specified that, in effect, there would be an additional £100 excess if the bike was stolen from outside the house - but only between 10 pm and 6 am. I can't see anything in my current insurance (arranged via Bennetts) that would limit their liability.

Regards,
Martin

We've just upgraded our Nationwide Bank Account to Flex Plus which now includes full European Breakdown cover, the £10 a month fee was cheaper than just the UK cover I was getting with the AA, hopefully will never have to see how good it works.

A £100 extra excess is not bad Martin, most are much more severe, my current policy double the excess, my previous policy was also double but when I changed it to the KTM they insisted it changed to this:
'You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in a locked garage or building either at your home address or at the address declared to us when the vehicle is not being used. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens within a 500 metre radius of your home address or the garaging address when the vehicle is not in a locked garage or building; we will not pay any claim you make for that theft or attempted theft.'

I would check your endorsements carefully